West at Powell Part 2

WestHigh4Life

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

WH4L, miracle?  I think West has the better team.  Go Rebs beat Plow.  

On a side note. FWIW,  TSSAA is in the area investigating today.  Visiting two area member schools that I know of (maybe more), talking to players and coaches of these two schools.  

Let me guess who T$$AA is visiting today.  OR, SD, and KHS. I will throw in West for good measure.

2 hours ago, oridgecat said:

WH4L, miracle?  I think West has the better team.  Go Rebs beat Plow.  

On a side note. FWIW,  TSSAA is in the area investigating today.  Visiting two area member schools that I know of (maybe more), talking to players and coaches of these two schools.  

LMAO.....TSSAA must be board....talking to teenagers that think they heard, or might could of possibly been told something....this is comical if true!?   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

The "transfer" from Alcoa lives in Powell, and has for a long time.  Alcoa recruited that kid AWAY from Powell to Alcoa.  Just ask TSSAA.  That is why Alcoa is under investigation as well right now.  

Alcoa is not in trouble for so called recruiting that player away from Powell. They are being investigated because the player was supposed to be a tuition student, and he paid no tuition by his family, plus an Alcoa coached transported him back and forth from Powell to Alcoa for school/practice. Powell was going to get him eligible sooner because Alcoa was not going to say he transfered to Powell for Athletic reasons, which would make the transfer go through easier. The school a player transfers from, Alcoa  can make the transfer more difficult by saying it is for Athletic reasons. Powell's in house Attorney supposedly had made a deal with Alcoa for them not to hold up the transfer to Powell. Someone must have blown the whistle to T$$AA about the no pay/still get to play and the transportation by the Alcoa coach that messed up the deal to get him eligible sooner.

I'm going to vent just a bit.

I'm sure we all have at least one story we could tell, so I'm going to share one of mine. I have a close family friend who is currently a senior starter for Central. I've known his immediate and extended family since before he was born. Mom, dad, and son live in Broadacres (Powell); he attended Powell Elementary and Middle, but has a "bona fide" transfer to Central HS (prior to Lowe's return). There is zero academic or social advantage for this transfer. None. Zip. Nada. The sole purpose of the transfer is for football, and believe it or not, his family would say exactly that. All they had to do on the transfer form was highlight a couple of key "buzz words" and poof, transfer granted. I'm not a fan of it, but I also recognize that it is what it is under the current KCS transfer rules.

This s#$t goes on at every single competitive football program in Knox County and has for years. Some are more open and obvious about it than others. I haven't vocalized my opinion on this very much, but if you want to stop the cheating, put an end to this "wild west" transfer process. Joel Helton got his meat hooks in a number of my Powell classmates during my high school years, and we all know they weren't being recruited for academic purposes. 

TL;DR - If a transfer doesn't provide a clear academic benefit or advantage for the student, it should be denied. Period.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

I'm going to vent just a bit.

I'm sure we all have at least one story we could tell, so I'm going to share one of mine. I have a close family friend who is currently a senior starter for Central. I've known his immediate and extended family since before he was born. Mom, dad, and son live in Broadacres (Powell); he attended Powell Elementary and Middle, but has a "bona fide" transfer to Central HS (prior to Lowe's return). There is zero academic or social advantage for this transfer. None. Zip. Nada. The sole purpose of the transfer is for football, and believe it or not, his family would say exactly that. All they had to do on the transfer form was highlight a couple of key "buzz words" and poof, transfer granted. I'm not a fan of it, but I also recognize that it is what it is under the current KCS transfer rules.

This s#$t goes on at every single competitive football program in Knox County and has for years. Some are more open and obvious about it than others. I haven't vocalized my opinion on this very much, but if you want to stop the cheating, put an end to this "wild west" transfer process. Joel Helton got his meat hooks in a number of my Powell classmates during my high school years, and we all know they weren't being recruited for academic purposes. 

TL;DR - If a transfer doesn't provide a clear academic benefit or advantage for the student, it should be denied. Period.

Powell should have opposed the transfer on the ground it was for athletic reasons. That would have either made the transfer more difficult or held it up. But if it was prior to his freshman year, good luck. So you are calling out Central/Joel Helton. Big words calling out a dead man and Coach who is a couple of head coaches back. So you are not going to call out Coach Lowe and his coaching staff/support staff for doing the same thing? If not than big deal about what deceased Coach Helton did. I think Powell got Coach Helton back be getting Smith/Huber from Central a few years back. And they weren't freshman. Call Knox County Central office and tell them what is going on. Join the coalition of Knox County Head coaches calling Central office and calling T$$AA. The more people calling Central office and their school board members might get things changed. But if Central office does make a move to stop wholesale freshman transfer, Knox County will probably get push back from NAACP.