USJ @ NCS Semis

Nextoneup

1 hour ago, Eagle9019 said:

For all of those following this game, the point differential is deceiving. NCS had the ball at the 10 yard line with a chance to tie the game in the 4th. USJ connected on a deep ball following that drive to extend the lead to 21-7. The last score came with 20 or so seconds left.  It was a good defensive battle for most of the game. It was obvious after only a few plays to those that follow NCS closely that this probably would not be a good night. I am not an apologist for Coach Brothers but this one wasn’t really on him. There have been some games that have been, but this simply wasn’t one of them. Decent play at one critical position would have changed this game drastically. The stage was just to big. You could immediately see the nerves and it never changed. Countless opportunities missed. I was amazed it was as close as it was in the 4th. USJ had a few unnecessary penalties that negated plays that could have stretched this one out. Even still, it was plays by their defense. USJ is tough but I can’t see them getting by Davidson. Davidson will match their defensive effort and if they get anything out of their QB, I think they go back to back. I don’t think Davidson’s offense is capable of playing as poorly as the NCS offense did tonight. Many will disagree with some or all of this opinion on the game and that’s fine. If you saw both games with these teams this year,  the difference was absolutely glaring. Sour way to end a good season but a good season nonetheless. Congrats to USJ. I will be rooting for them in Cookeville. 

I disagree on deceiving. While, yes, it was only 14-7 with 6 minutes to go, USJ seemed to be in control this whole game. I will not say dominated due to it being close in the 4th, but it was close to it. NCS scored on a trick play on 3rd and 12 and had the ball on the 10 in the 4th. That was about the extent of anything I saw from them offensively. USJ had 3, yes 3 defensive touchdowns called back. 2 looked like crap calls from watching it online but unfortunately there was no replay. The refs were doing no favors for USJ and that is the only way I thought they might lose, from some of those questionable flags. Besides that, USJ seemed to control the game, especially on defense.

Plus, how the heck are cowbells and sirens NOT considered artificial noisemakers?! C’mon, that just seems like trash in my opinion, especially ringing them while the QB is giving the cadence. I am no fan of MS State but at least the SEC makes them stop ringing when the QB is under center. Even though USJ should have kneeled with 20 seconds to go, after listening to those cowbells all night, I chuckled at the last score. The crew doing the game on the radio/stream even contacted an official with TSSAA and he said yes, they should be warned and then penalized for the noise. Oh well, Go Bruins!

4 hours ago, Bruin6311 said:

Plus, how the heck are cowbells and sirens NOT considered artificial noisemakers?! C’mon, that just seems like trash in my opinion, especially ringing them while the QB is giving the cadence. I am no fan of MS State but at least the SEC makes them stop ringing when the QB is under center. Even though USJ should have kneeled with 20 seconds to go, after listening to those cowbells all night, I chuckled at the last score. The crew doing the game on the radio/stream even contacted an official with TSSAA and he said yes, they should be warned and then penalized for the noise. Oh well, Go Bruins!

The TSSAA rules on "artificial noise makers" only apply to indoor sports. No such rule exists in the TSSAA football guidebook. 

More cowbell? :-)

Edited by kenmynattcpa

USJ rose to the occasion in this semifinal.   Simply dominating in this game.    The doubled up the total offensive yards (328-170)  and just about doubled up the first downs (18-10).   They forced 3 turnovers and even had a couple called back with total of 8 penalties for 75 yards.   Line play advantage to the Bruins kept the fire going. 

Both teams have passionate fan bases who really love high school football and their team.  Thats not always true at private high schools these days.   First game there for most of the Bruin fans and it was a great atmosphere for a friday night. 

• Upvote 1

For the record, I've heard a bunch of complaints from people re: cowbells but they were all from those watching the stream or listening to the radio broadcast. The radio guys' setup was right on top of the cowbell section. It wasn't nearly as obnoxious in person. I thought both sides provided their fair share of natural and artificial noise, but it was not overly distracting. Fortunately, there was a little more bell ringing on the field and less in the stands as the game played out.

12 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

For the record, I've heard a bunch of complaints from people re: cowbells but they were all from those watching the stream or listening to the radio broadcast. The radio guys' setup was right on top of the cowbell section. It wasn't nearly as obnoxious in person. I thought both sides provided their fair share of natural and artificial noise, but it was not overly distracting. Fortunately, there was a little more bell ringing on the field and less in the stands as the game played out.

I normally don't agree too much with the folks the broadcast the football games for usj. The cow bells may not be overbearing when you were at the field and sitting on the other side but if you were forced to work right in the middle of those cow bells it would be most distracting and it makes for a very unpleasant experience when one is there trying to do a job. The real blame lies with the schools who do not provide a proper place for media to work and to broadcast from. Personally, I've had to broadcast sitting in the stands many a Time in my years in this business. I also anticipate having to broadcast from the stands for three of our five Road games next season. It is what it is. I just pray for no rain on those nights. Broadcast equipment is very expensive and does not do well when exposed to the elements. Sadly, many schools do not take into account the needs of media when building a stadium or a Press Box. At times it can be just as bad in the basketball Arenas as well. And for the record, I only like cow bells in my music!

Edited by ReitzFan

While NCS had a great year, I am sure there is major disappointment in not winning it all with all the transfers that became eligible this year.  A lot of potential college players playing against the smallest division in the State of TN, I can see why NCS fan base thought winning it all was expected in 2019. 

6 hours ago, ocac said:

While NCS had a great year, I am sure there is major disappointment in not winning it all with all the transfers that became eligible this year.  A lot of potential college players playing against the smallest division in the State of TN, I can see why NCS fan base thought winning it all was expected in 2019. 

Who are all these “college players”? Also, how many kids started new this year? You should know. Or you’re just talking out your backside trying to stir the pot.  

20 hours ago, ocac said:

The NCS fans were surely disappointed but probably not surprised given that Brothers is now 1-5 in state semi-final games including both division 1 and 2.  However, given that NCS wasn't close to relevant before he got there, you can't say he hasn't been successful and he does have a state title in 2015 in division 1-A.   He does struggle at winning the big games though.  

14 hours ago, Eagle9019 said:

Who are all these “college players”? Also, how many kids started new this year? You should know. Or you’re just talking out your backside trying to stir the pot.  

Maybe I'm wrong.  I haven't looked back in posts on CoachT, but it seems like I remember people talking about NCS having a bunch of transfers that came in late last year or maybe this summer.  Maybe I am way off base.  Supposedly great athletes.  Again, they had a great year.  Not sure that would be considered pot stirring either.