Whitehaven at Houston

kwc

2 hours ago, Havengrad04 said:

He recently got an offer from Virginia Tech I heard 

I checked out several recruiting sites this week and only small school offers for him right now. I did not see Va Tech. I see RBs with those stats on 1A or 2A being overlooked at times but rarely one of the 5A or 6A guys. Reminds me of the Wes Walker life story program. Mike Leach will give that man a chance!

Edited by Salem

12 hours ago, Salem said:

5’9” 185 lbs. That’s Mark Ingram or Christian McCaffrey size coming out of high school. Ridiculous he doesn’t have an in state D1 Offer at this point.

McCaffrey AND Ingram have a different type of pedigree than Pare as far as I know Pare doesn't have NFL Bloodlines but I hear you LOL

10 minutes ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

So no one wants to tell us how Houston will beat Whitehaven? 

The ONLY way they can beat us if our suspect offense we can’t score and move the ball on their suspect defense... but then again our defense is more than capable of putting points on the board as well...:bored:

Edited by Havengrad04

It's star Houston RB Lincoln Pare vs. Whitehaven's 3 Tennessee Vols LB commitments in 6A quarterfinals

Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 2:52 p.m. CT Nov. 21, 2019

When Houston and Whitehaven take the field Friday night, all eyes will be on the matchup between the state's best Class 6A running back and three of the state's premier linebacker prospects who are committed to play for the Tennessee Vols

Houston senior Lincoln Pare has rushed for 2,522 yards and 32 touchdowns, 10 of which have come in the first two playoff games for Mustangs (12-0). He recently received his first FBS offer from Navy, and was offered a preferred walk-on spot at Virginia Tech. 

Eason, French and McDonald combined for 162 tackles during the regular season, including 24 tackles for loss. All three are committed to Tennessee.

Houston, which is averaging 44.8 points, scored more points in last week's 55-20 win over White Station than Whitehaven (10-1) has given up all season. The Tigers have the fewest points allowed average in the state at 3.5 per game. 

"That's the first earmark of our defense, being able to stop the run, so it will be a test of wills on Friday." Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry said. "We hang our hats on being able to stop the run and they hang their hat on being able to run the football, so we'll see which one moves." 

Pare and Eason are two of the three finalists for the Class 6A Mr. Football award. Pare scored five touchdowns and rushed for 287 yards last week. He had a pair of touchdowns last season when Whitehaven beat Houston 31-27 in the second round. 

"Last year, we were really uptempo and we got them tired," Pare said. "I think that we got bodies on them and that's what we need to do this year and get people into space."

Eason and French combined for 19 tackles in a 13-0 shutout win over Central last week. It was Whitehaven's seventh shutout of the year. Houston coach James Thomas said that the Tiger defense will be "by far" the best defense the Mustangs have faced. 

Houston Mustangs Lincoln Pare runs the ball across the end zone line for a touchdown during the first half of the White Station Spartans versus the Houston Mustangs play off game on November 2, 2018, in Germantown Tennessee.

Houston Mustangs Lincoln Pare runs the ball across the end zone line for a touchdown during the first half of the White Station Spartans versus the Houston Mustangs play off game on November 2, 2018, in Germantown Tennessee. (Photo: Ariel Cobbert, The Commercial Appeal)

"It's their speed, their scheme, and their athleticism. When they get to the ball there's two or three of them and they're trying to rip the ball out," Thomas said. "They're doing things normal defenses don't do. They get hands on balls, tipped balls, and when the ball is in the air they're hungry for it so they create turnovers."

Whitehaven scored 31 or more points in three of its five postseason games last year on the way to the state championship game.

"I think it's going to be a lot less scoring. All props to my bro Lincoln Pare, but it's like he's Superman and we're the kryptonite and that will be that on that," Eason said. 

Saulsberry said that the biggest difference is the Tigers' improved defensive line. 

"Our defensive line is playing so much better," Saulsberry said. "My hat goes off to those guys — Zyon Walker, Jared Bradley, Richard Ellis and Alexander Whitmore. The defensive line play has been tremendous and we need them to continue that." 

Thomas, who led Houston to the quarterfinals in his first year last season, said that the team has a better understanding of his offensive system, allowing it to go deeper into the playbook.

"We can execute a lot of different things," Thomas said. "We can throw it a little bit better this year. Lincoln (Pare) has gotten better. The offensive line understands what I'm doing with them. Like I said, we're playing really well right now, they're (Whitehaven) playing really well right now, so it will be a heck of a ballgame."

The winner will travel to Williamson county next week to face the winner of the Ravenwood-Brentwood game in the Class 6A semifinals. 

Greetings, my name is Khari

Memphis is a great place to be a high school sports reporter. The city has a wealth of young talent and rich stories waiting to be told. Please help us keep you informed with breaking news, compelling features, and video highlights by subscribing to The Commercial Appeal today.

Infogram logo
Edited by kwc