3A - Comparing final AP poll with quarterfinal bracket

CHARGERFAN

I was curious about how accurately the AP poll for 3A on Oct. 28 had predicted our present playoff bracket after two rounds. Here's the poll, with comments added on each team:

1. Alcoa (still playing)

2. Pearl-Cohn (still playing)

3. Red Bank (still playing)

4. Loudon (still playing)

5. Upperman (eliminated in round 2 by #3 Red Bank)

6. South Gibson (eliminated in round 2 by #7 Covington)

7. Covington (still playing)

8. East Nashville (eliminated in round 2 by #2 Pearl-Cohn)

9. Gatlinburg-Pittman (eliminated in round 2 by #1 Alcoa)

10. Wooddale (still playing)

From this, six of the ten are still playing. The four who were eliminated were all defeated by another team in the top ten.

Because round two had four ranked teams facing four other ranked teams, this meant that four of the top ten had to lose. This left room for Giles County and Austin East to be included in the final eight teams playing this week. 

According to the AP poll, the playoffs have generally  followed the rankings, with the higher ranked team winning as top ten team met top ten team. Covington scored a minor upset over SGC as # 7 beat #6, but that is the only deviation.

Had anyone ever stopped to do this type of comparison before? I don't recall one.

2 hours ago, crow6424 said:

Interesting stuff

They did a pretty good job ranking the teams. I think you could move Covington and East Nashville in front of Upperman. I don’t know enough about Wooddale to have an opinion on them. 

Well, I'll be able to say more after my Covington team plays Wooddale this Friday night.