Four class basketball

Indian

3 hours ago, Indian said:

It looks like it is picking up some steam in discussions across the state. For or against? My biggest reason for is the number of magnet/charters starting up and adding basketball, really affecting the classifications. 

Isn't there already districts with 4 or 5 teams? To add another class would make no sense, especially with counties talking about consolidation.  When everyone was together in the 90's 4 classes made perfect sense.  But as it is 3 in D1 and 2 in D2 is enough.

I hope that basketball, baseball, and softball goes to 4 classifications.  I know from a competitive standpoint it would really help us (Adamsville).  We moved up to AA by about 15 students.  We just dont have the numbers to compete with schools with 850-900 students.  I doubt it happens, but it would breathe some life back into our sports programs.

22 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

Isn't there already districts with 4 or 5 teams? To add another class would make no sense, especially with counties talking about consolidation.  When everyone was together in the 90's 4 classes made perfect sense.  But as it is 3 in D1 and 2 in D2 is enough.

Agree. 3 & 2 is plenty. Would make travel further & gates smaller. 

There are 327 public schools playing in 3 classifications in basketball, as well as 60 private schools in 2 classes. There are 295 public schools playing football in 6 classifications and 47 privates in 3 classes. So we have 387 total schools in basketball split into 5 classifications and 342 total schools in football split into 9 classifications. Never felt like this made any sense whatsoever. Many schools play in one classification for the majority of their sports and then a different classification in basketball and baseball. Don't believe it would be that difficult to make the classes/districts/regions the same for all sports, whether it be 3, 4, or 5 classes. This would also drive attendance by creating rivalries(and restoring many that have been split up). The school I support currently has a 2 hour drive(4 round trip) to a current district opponent anyways, so not sure how much worse travel could be. I know the T$$AA will have a plethora of excuses about why they can't do this, but it could be done pretty easily. Ideas that make great sense will be proposed and given lip service, but I would be willing to wager that nothing changes again this cycle. 

• Like 1

Doing separate classifications by sport is dumb. Red Bank (798 Students) plays 3A Football (Schools up 820 is or so), 2A Basketball/Baseball/Softball (Schools up to 1000 or so), but in track and cross country they are classified as a "Large School" (Up to 2700+). 

Most states have blanket classifications... if you have this many kids you are in this class for all sports. In that case, i think 4 blanket classes (FOOTBALL INCLUDED) would be ideal for the state. 

A - 0 to 323 Students

AA - 324 to 706

AAA - 707 to 1150

AAAA - 1151 to 2700

In sports like Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Cross Country you can still combine A and AA into one class as needed as most are right now. 

But it's the T$$AA which doesn't do things for competitive equality so nothing will change after 2021. 

1 hour ago, BoomKing2006 said:

Doing separate classifications by sport is dumb. Red Bank (798 Students) plays 3A Football (Schools up 820 is or so), 2A Basketball/Baseball/Softball (Schools up to 1000 or so), but in track and cross country they are classified as a "Large School" (Up to 2700+). 

Most states have blanket classifications... if you have this many kids you are in this class for all sports. In that case, i think 4 blanket classes (FOOTBALL INCLUDED) would be ideal for the state. 

A - 0 to 323 Students

AA - 324 to 706

AAA - 707 to 1150

AAAA - 1151 to 2700

In sports like Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Cross Country you can still combine A and AA into one class as needed as most are right now. 

But it's the T$$AA which doesn't do things for competitive equality so nothing will change after 2021. 

I'm not sure 4 classes will help for competitive play with a school of 1200 in a class with a 2600 student school using the example given. Currently the school my kid attends is in a basketball district with the closest opponent being 50 minutes away and the farthest at 2 hours and 30 minutes  away. That's a district opponent not a just a regular game. That's just too far  There are only 5 in the district. Considered AAA with 1375 students that then compete against other region double plus that size on state tourney. Needs to be narrowed down. Dollar wise doesn't make sense with the travel involved either. 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, Redrage4life said:

I hope that basketball, baseball, and softball goes to 4 classifications.  I know from a competitive standpoint it would really help us (Adamsville).  We moved up to AA by about 15 students.  We just dont have the numbers to compete with schools with 850-900 students.  I doubt it happens, but it would breathe some life back into our sports programs.

Numbers mean absolutely nothing...it's about developing players...period. I bet there are A schools that can easily beat 3A teams...only a small percent of your student body play sports in the first place.

12 hours ago, TheHill said:

Numbers mean absolutely nothing...it's about developing players...period. I bet there are A schools that can easily beat 3A teams...only a small percent of your student body play sports in the first place.

You pick your team from 300 kids , I'll pick mine from 1,500....you have no chance to beat me  in any sport 99% of the time. Now teams that are traditionally better at certain sports will draw better players to that school and away from others which will sometimes skew the percentages, but just random kids in random places Numbers mean A LOT!

• Like 2