Four class basketball

Indian

9 hours ago, old24eagle said:

You pick your team from 300 kids , I'll pick mine from 1,500....you have no chance to beat me  in any sport 99% of the time. Now teams that are traditionally better at certain sports will draw better players to that school and away from others which will sometimes skew the percentages, but just random kids in random places Numbers mean A LOT!

Numbers are extreme important year in year out. It just makes sense that you will have more and better talent in larger schools than smaller.  If this wasnt the case,  there would not be any need for classifications. All schools would be thrown in one group.  Small school wouldn't have a chance unless it's a situation like the movie Hooisers. 

8 hours ago, dmm88 said:

@OrangeGuru I assume you're from Dyer County. I have said for a while now that 13-AAA needs to revamp that district, I agree travel is too far, but what's the alternative??? If they do regions like football you guys would be going 4 hours round trip to Clarksville for district games. 

Travel is a issue for 13AAA but then you compound the problem by having to complete with bigger schools to get out of region and in the Glass House if you manage to squeak through. There has to be an equitable plan to manage school size and limit the excessive travel. I do not know all the exact numbers and miles for all the schools,  districts and regions  but its been done for DI and DII. The football travel for DC going to Clarksville was a business decision that cut out an additional trip per year to Memphis based on number of teams that were in a district  instead  of 4 trips every year to Memphis it was better to make 3 trips year traveling toward Clarksville and Paris.  

It doesn’t matter how many classes still have those at top end happy those at bottom end complaining - we play all classes in basketball & softball so can get better some play same class so get startled when get in tournament situations because haven’t prepared - goes back to that thinking of having good regular season or get ready for state tournament and maybe not as good regular record ( maybe just allow school to pick what class they want to be in or class them  so don’t see the same schools at state every year - move up or down like golf have handicap )

Classification is only for a district. It doesn't mean not to go out and schedule a good competitive season to get ready for tournament.  There's always going to be a school barely in and at very top but you can narrow it down. Playing a school in a district tournament twice you student population size is just too wide a gap in my thinking. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:15 AM, old24eagle said:

You pick your team from 300 kids , I'll pick mine from 1,500....you have no chance to beat me  in any sport 99% of the time. Now teams that are traditionally better at certain sports will draw better players to that school and away from others which will sometimes skew the percentages, but just random kids in random places Numbers mean A LOT!

All depends...if I'm coaching at Humbolt and you are coaching at William Blount I'll beat your brains out...every time...get the picture?

3 hours ago, TheHill said:

All depends...if I'm coaching at Humbolt and you are coaching at William Blount I'll beat your brains out...every time...get the picture?

William Blount beat Alcoa and only lost to Fulton by seven last year. Not sure about them getting their brains beat out every time by a smaller school like Humbolt. Numbers do matter especially with depth.

14 hours ago, TheHill said:

Read my post again where I said "RANDOM"kids at "RANDOM" places and some schools excel at certain sports which skew the numbers.

Now with that being said name 3 more schools with 300 kids or less that would beat a William Blount size school on the regular?

On 11/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, OrangeGuru said:

I'm not sure 4 classes will help for competitive play with a school of 1200 in a class with a 2600 student school using the example given. Currently the school my kid attends is in a basketball district with the closest opponent being 50 minutes away and the farthest at 2 hours and 30 minutes  away. That's a district opponent not a just a regular game. That's just too far  There are only 5 in the district. Considered AAA with 1375 students that then compete against other region double plus that size on state tourney. Needs to be narrowed down. Dollar wise doesn't make sense with the travel involved either. 

Dyer County didn't have that problem until they moved to AAA.

Edited by warmachine7954

On 11/20/2019 at 7:25 PM, TheHill said:

Numbers mean absolutely nothing...it's about developing players...period. I bet there are A schools that can easily beat 3A teams...only a small percent of your student body play sports in the first place.

I'm in agreement with this but.... the TSSAA stopped high school coaches from being able to develop players when practice regulations were made stricter in the late 90's early 00's. 

There is about a month of actual meanignful contact a month before the season. If you're lucky and you're school doesn't go very far in football you'll get those kids for less time and sometimes not until you've already played a few games. For small schools they have alot of kids that play mutiple sports. 

Then as soon as the season is over you can't work with them except for "spring practice".

Then summer camp and competing with AAU practice/tournaments.

Dead period is fine everyone needs a break. 

Yes, there are years when A schools could be competative but its not often.

Yes, only a small % of the school plays sports but when your talent pool is large it makes a difference. Also, many times the only gym around a small school is the school gym and if it's closed then there is no where to play. In a larger area there are community centers, YMCAs, gyms, church gyms that people can go find a run in. 

I've coached at big schools (500 PK-12) and 2000+ (9-12) Maybe 1 of the players I had a the A school could have made JV at the school with 2000+

On 11/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, OrangeGuru said:

Classification is only for a district. It doesn't mean not to go out and schedule a good competitive season to get ready for tournament.  There's always going to be a school barely in and at very top but you can narrow it down. Playing a school in a district tournament twice you student population size is just too wide a gap in my thinking. 

What school plays an in district school with 2x their enrollment?

Edited by warmachine7954