5 class plan

ocac

I am hearing from some reliable sources that the 5 class plan is gaining some momentum.  I know another thread addressed this issue a couple of weeks ago, but I am starting a new thread to hear thoughts and opinions.  How will that affect the teams that are teetering on the high/low side of enrollment for each class?  

• Like 1

Tennessee should do what Georgia does regarding OOZ students.  In GA every student that attends a school from out of zone is counted twice and that school is classed accordingly to the number after the multiplier.  For example School A has 1,000 students.  200 of those students do not live in that school's zone.  Thus School A's enrollment is 1,200 after the mulitplier... similar to the 1.8 TSSAA used a while back. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thegreatwhite1 said:

Tennessee should do what Georgia does regarding OOZ students.  In GA every student that attends a school from out of zone is counted twice and that school is classed accordingly to the number after the multiplier.  For example School A has 1,000 students.  200 of those students do not live in that school's zone.  Thus School A's enrollment is 1,200 after the mulitplier... similar to the 1.8 TSSAA used a while back. 

That sounds like a legitimate solution for the zoning aspect, but not sure the multiplier should be more.

10 hours ago, thegreatwhite1 said:

Lets Quick over Thinking it,

The GHSA has seven classifications based on school enrollment. For this reclassification, the GHSA adopted a 2.0 multiplier that applies to out-of-zone students and is designed to promote schools believed to have competitive advantages into higher classes. The new rules don't apply to everybody. Schools with 550 or fewer students automatically are classified in Class A and are not affected by the multiplier.

Now, Tennessee does not need 7 classes. However, this is how to make classes competitive. 

18 hours ago, thegreatwhite1 said:

The big problem is Tennessee is not  Populated like Georgia. 

19 hours ago, LACats said:

Just an opinion, but until the TSSAA can figure into the equation county population and whether there is zoning or not or recruiting the playing fields are never really going to be level.

The biggest disparity in High School football is Urban vs. Rural, or $$$ vs. no $$$. 

Schools with brand new weight rooms , locker rooms, artificial turf fields , and 15 varsity coaches have a HUGE advantage over the school out in the county with the 50 year old locker room , ancient weight racks , the rough muddy grass field  and 3 paid coaches. 

People somehow find a way to argue this isnt the case. They usually say "Work Harder"?? 3 paid coaches CAN NOT outwork 15 no matter how hard they try. Hard Work doesn't attract athletes to your program like shiny new locker rooms and fancy uni's do. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, old24eagle said:

The biggest disparity in High School football is Urban vs. Rural, or $$$ vs. no $$$. 

Schools with brand new weight rooms , locker rooms, artificial turf fields , and 15 varsity coaches have a HUGE advantage over the school out in the county with the 50 year old locker room , ancient weight racks , the rough muddy grass field  and 3 paid coaches. 

People somehow find a way to argue this isnt the case. They usually say "Work Harder"?? 3 paid coaches CAN NOT outwork 15 no matter how hard they try. Hard Work doesn't attract athletes to your program like shiny new locker rooms and fancy uni's do. 

So in that case across the United states you spilt rural and urban? I think I read a article about this last year with Texas schools. People was mad on one side that one region has all the titles because it's full of urban schools. I feel like most of the complaints come from smaller county schools. I mean it's not everybody fault you stay in seawater Tennessee with 3 schools "ele,mid,high". 

Facts are facts hard for a school in a county with 25,000 to compete year in and year out with a school in a county of 50,000 not zoned. People can't just up and move to a more populated place nor do most of them want to. Don't think anyone is complaining just stating facts and looking for a way to make things more competitive.

17 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

So in that case across the United states you spilt rural and urban? I think I read a article about this last year with Texas schools. People was mad on one side that one region has all the titles because it's full of urban schools. I feel like most of the complaints come from smaller county schools. I mean it's not everybody fault you stay in seawater Tennessee with 3 schools "ele,mid,high". 

I'm not sure I can comprehend the point you're making. I'm just saying if TSSAA wants to divide up divisions and classifications to be more competitive an urban/rural split would accomplish that easier than using student population alone. 

I think you were trying to trash small towns in TN. with your last sentence but I can't decipher your "City Talk", besides I would rather stay in "seawater" and never win any championship as have to live in a large city any day.