DA v. USJ for the DII-A Gold Ball

Bellsburg2

Might as well consolidate the talk into one thread. Davidson Academy looks to defend their state title against USJ in a rematch game. DA won the first one 21-12, with the first half played in a monsoon and the second half in a muddy mess. I would suspect neither team was able to execute their full game plan, but Davidson was simply more physical down the stretch and came away with the win. The leading receiver for USJ missed this game due to injury and another key 2-way senior was lost midway through the game. I believe DA has regained a key player or two in the interim as well. DA compiled about 250 yards of offense to USJ's nearly 200, with both leaning heavily on the ground game. The difference in score was provided by Davidson returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown.

Both teams have been very stingy on defense down the stretch. The Bears come in hot, riding a 10 game winning streak. USJ has put up nearly 200 points in their last 4 games. I expect a close one. Who ya got?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

Might as well consolidate the talk into one thread. Davidson Academy looks to defend their state title against USJ in a rematch game. DA won the first one 21-12, with the first half played in a monsoon and the second half in a muddy mess. I would suspect neither team was able to execute their full game plan, but Davidson was simply more physical down the stretch and came away with the win. The leading receiver for USJ missed this game due to injury and another key 2-way senior was lost midway through the game. I believe DA has regained a key player or two in the interim as well. DA compiled about 250 yards of offense to USJ's nearly 200, with both leaning heavily on the ground game. The difference in score was provided by Davidson returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown.

Both teams have been very stingy on defense down the stretch. The Bears come in hot, riding a 10 game winning streak. USJ has put up nearly 200 points in their last 4 games. I expect a close one. Who ya got?

B) You know.

An early morning matchup up of different bears. DA has the advantage of playing in the championship last year. Their coaching staff knows the time commitment needed during championship week.  Three things I learned during the first game against DA

1) We need to match them physical

2) Our kickoff coverage team was not good

3) Do not punt the ball with 3.40 left in the game, no timeouts and down two scores 

Besides those things you cannot read much into the first game because it was played in a Windy monsoon.  

Both teams are playing well.  USJ is playing with a lot of confidence and is looking forward to avenge an earlier lost. 

I have to admit that I'm more worried about this game than the semi. No disrespect to NCS, but they played earlier to a standstill in decent weather. Give the USJ coaches that advantage and I'll take them every time. Not so much worried about the earlier point differential in this one as I am the conditions. Still think USJ by two scores, but they don't have matchup video of your guy vs. my guy, and coaches tendencies not affected by field conditions. They do have video of multiple games that weren't available earlier to work with to decipher blocking schemes and keys for the linebackers, and I think that's plenty in normal circumstances. Another Concern is atmosphere... the competition has been there and done that. No matter the preparation, kids are kids, and the hoopla surrounding this game could affect them for a series or two.

Boosters need to be preparing to welcome your guys home as state champs... not a lock, but I'll be surprised if the ball they bring home isn't gold.

Ok I will Jump in and say my piece. Being from TCA it is natural to be against USJ. That is just rivalry. I have always had respect for USJ but I have Always wanted to beat USJ. I really Hope USJ brings the gold ball back. It is kind of like the SEC. if UT can’t win it all I would Rather someone from the SEC win it all. So as far as the game I think It is set up for USJ. With Browder having 2 weeks and also have already faced them that goes in USJ favor. Big time. As far as DA already been there, I dont Put much weight in that. Heck they are high school kids also and no telling what is going through their heads. I predict A 10 point win for USJ. I believe The Bruins have grown up as the year has progressed and they will enforce their will in 2 weeks. Good luck Bruins and bring the gold back.  

• Upvote 1

USJ seems to have played some of their best football in the last month or so, with this past Friday night being the most complete game they have played by far. Clean, smart football with fewer mistakes than the other team is usually a recipe for success. Both NCS and DA are run-heavy teams. NCS put together their best passing effort of the season in the earlier game at our place, but could not re-create that in the rematch and that was the difference in the game. If the Bruins can stall the DA ground attack, I like our chances in passing situations. Weather could once again be a factor and there has been snow in and out of the forecast for Cookeville on 12/5. I suppose I'd rather see snow than rain, but I imagine the players/coaches/spectators would prefer neither if given a choice.

Regarding Trader's remarks on having more film to study, it appears that one of the teams may have been unwilling to trade full film. Fortunately, thanks to Al Gore's development of the interwebs, there is more than one way to acquire such things so I imagine that will work itself out.

Both teams will face equally tough distractions with an off week, holiday activities, and travel, culminating with an 11 AM Thursday kickoff which will be unusual for all involved. I'm sure the coaches of both teams will work diligently to quiet all the outside noise. Thankfully teenage boys are not easily distracted (insert sarcasm font). 

Really really looking forward to this rematch.  Two very skilled teams and both peaking at the right time.  I was fortunate enough to see the regular season game and have seen much talk about how the weather played a factor.  Yes, it was indeed terrible, but it was also clear that one team in the second half completely imposed their will on the other.  Make no mistake about it, USJ is plenty capable, but they absolutely must match DA’s physicality in the trenches for 4 qtrs. or the result I’m afraid will be the same.  Looking forward to this battle.  Good Luck to both teams.  

18 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I have to admit that I'm more worried about this game than the semi. No disrespect to NCS, but they played earlier to a standstill in decent weather. Give the USJ coaches that advantage and I'll take them every time. Not so much worried about the earlier point differential in this one as I am the conditions. Still think USJ by two scores, but they don't have matchup video of your guy vs. my guy, and coaches tendencies not affected by field conditions. They do have video of multiple games that weren't available earlier to work with to decipher blocking schemes and keys for the linebackers, and I think that's plenty in normal circumstances. Another Concern is atmosphere... the competition has been there and done that. No matter the preparation, kids are kids, and the hoopla surrounding this game could affect them for a series or two.

Boosters need to be preparing to welcome your guys home as state champs... not a lock, but I'll be surprised if the ball they bring home isn't gold.

Not sure I would see a post where USJ Coach would be considered superior over Jonathan Quinn at DA. That seems a stretch to me. 

9 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

USJ seems to have played some of their best football in the last month or so, with this past Friday night being the most complete game they have played by far. Clean, smart football with fewer mistakes than the other team is usually a recipe for success. Both NCS and DA are run-heavy teams. NCS put together their best passing effort of the season in the earlier game at our place, but could not re-create that in the rematch and that was the difference in the game. If the Bruins can stall the DA ground attack, I like our chances in passing situations. Weather could once again be a factor and there has been snow in and out of the forecast for Cookeville on 12/5. I suppose I'd rather see snow than rain, but I imagine the players/coaches/spectators would prefer neither if given a choice.

Regarding Trader's remarks on having more film to study, it appears that one of the teams may have been unwilling to trade full film. Fortunately, thanks to Al Gore's development of the interwebs, there is more than one way to acquire such things so I imagine that will work itself out.

Both teams will face equally tough distractions with an off week, holiday activities, and travel, culminating with an 11 AM Thursday kickoff which will be unusual for all involved. I'm sure the coaches of both teams will work diligently to quiet all the outside noise. Thankfully teenage boys are not easily distracted (insert sarcasm font). 

USJ 191 pass ypg & 125 rush ypg

DA  135 pass ypg & 172 rush ypg

This game will be a good one. I think it is a toss up. Anyone expecting 35-14 or something similar for either side is basing that solely off of their desired outcome as there is ZERO basis to think either team is considerably better than the other. I will not be a bit surprised to see either team hoist a Gold Ball come 12/5. 

I think the USJ passing game could give DA some trouble for sure. The biggest question mark is whether USJ is tougher now than they were the first match up? Can they be physical enough? They were absolutely bullied the first time in the L at DA. I am guessing back to back L's to NCS & DA created quite a bit of soul searching and led to improvement in those areas and expect USj to be ready to roll. I say DA in a 21-17 game. Can't/wont bet against the champions until someone takes it away. 

USJ takes away the run and DA can't win through the air.  I'm sorry, but the weather was a huge factor in DA's win against USJ earlier in the season.  If there isn't a deluge, I like USJ to win a close one.  With the recent win against NCS on their home turf I feel like USJ is peaking at the right time.  Besides, they don't even belong in this division and will move back up in a couple of years.  For the record, my boy plays for FA so I don't like either team.  Hahaha.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UGA5 said:

Awfully quiet.  Both teams must be focused and ready to go!!

Undoubtedly the teams are, but sadly, that's not why it's so quiet.

750,000 people in Nashville and Jackson combined have resulted in about 10 posts so far... two small rural (1A/2A) schools in Tn. playing for a state title usually have 100+ pages in the one week between the semi's and the championship. 

I wouldn't trade the atmosphere in "my" little town for anything... most people think that private school kids "have it all", they just don't know what they're missing.