DA v. USJ for the DII-A Gold Ball

Bellsburg2

1 minute ago, ReitzFan said:

I am critized from time to time for getting on officials about certain calls. Listening to a radio call, I hope that the criticism works both ways. The officials did not steal this game

I probably would've held my flag on that roughing the passer call, but USJ had chance after chance and couldn't take advantage. All credit to DA!

Awesome game!  I mentioned on a previous post when a number of folk were referencing the weather as to why USJ lost in Game1; DA is a tough, gritty, and physical squad no matter the weather.  The second half of games is where this team seems to just impose their will.  I said if USJ does not match their physicality for 4 complete qtrs the result would be the same.  

Griffin Swinney running down hill late in games is a problem for most teams in this division.  Also credit Bryce Rawls at QB having to step in to a position he’s never played until this year due to injury of the starter.  Congratulations to USJ on one heck of a year. Extremely talented team.  Hope to see them make it back again.  Safe ride back for both fans who made it to the game.

Yep, the further west you go...the less likely you are to get a call that goes your way.  Had that experience for the first time in this division when my son moved to Fayette Academy.  We got like ZERO calls our way this year.  You don't want to say it is favoritism because that sounds like sour grapes when you lose, but dang...  Credit to DA for finishing strong.

Congrats to DA. USJ had no answer for their ground game. However, those were some pretty flag happy refs. I will say the field goal looked good and if that is called that way, USJ can kick the field goal for the lead with 4 minutes to go. Then would USJ be lifting the gold ball or would DA make one final drive? We will never know. But, it did look like a bad call on the field. It is crazy to think USJ is 0-6 in the finals, as I was part of one of those.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheHowler said:

Yep, the further west you go...the less likely you are to get a call that goes your way.  Had that experience for the first time in this division when my son moved to Fayette Academy.  We got like ZERO calls our way this year.  You don't want to say it is favoritism because that sounds like sour grapes when you lose, but dang...  Credit to DA for finishing strong.

The stat sheet shows that each team was penalized 12 times during this game. I thought the usj quarterback (Smith), when he had time to throw, was very good. The wide receiver, Carlock, was equally as good. Not only did he show good hands, but the damage that he did after he caught the ball was impressive. The running back for Davidson Academy was simply a wrecking machine today. Halftime adjustments and a change and running formations were the difference for Davidson Academy in the second half of this game. Despite personal feelings, I feel bad for the usj players. I was right where they are back in 1977 on the losing end of a state championship game in Indiana. I can certainly understand their feelings at this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

The stat sheet shows that each team was penalized 12 times during this game. I thought the usj quarterback (Smith), when he had time to throw, was very good. The wide receiver, Carlock, was equally as good. Not only did he show good hands, but the damage that he did after he caught the ball was impressive. The running back for Davidson Academy was simply a wrecking machine today. Halftime adjustments and a change and running formations were the difference for Davidson Academy in the second half of this game. Despite personal feelings, I feel bad for the usj players. I was right where they are back in 1977 on the losing end of a state championship game in Indiana. I can certainly understand their feelings at this time.

I felt like USJ was the better team going in because of a more balanced offense, and all I could do was listen to the call on the Radio so I have no visual knowledge of what the penalties looked like.  I'm not a fan of either team (as previously stated).  And yes Carlock is a beast, my son had to cover him when he lined up on the strong side of the field against FA, but you gotta be able to stop the run in high school football and it sounded like USJ couldn't against DA.  I feel bad for them too, truth be told I was rooting for USJ to win...and oddly enough so was my kid.  I guess he has a ton of respect for Carlock.  In the end, only one team gets the final win...USJ has nothing to be ashamed of.