Houston @ Ravenwood

tnfootball88

The Commercial Appeal: Can alum James Thomas coach Houston  to first state championship game?

Houston's impressive 27-6 win over Whitehaven on Friday night makes it easy to forget how far the Mustangs have come since coach James Thomas took over before the 2018 season.

The Mustangs were 6-5 in 2017 and had gone 4-6 the year before.

Now the Mustangs (13-0) are 23-2 over the last two seasons and set to play in their first semifinal appearance since 2001. The Mustangs play Ravenwood on the road Friday night.

Thomas is a Houston alum who spent 14 years on the staff as an assistant. He was a player on the first Houston team to make the semifinals in 1998.

"These games in the playoffs, you'll never forget it," Thomas said. "I still remember we played our semifinal game on this field. Hendersonville came down and it was packed, and crazy, and the loudest game I've ever played in high school. It was an awesome atmosphere, we took the opening kickoff to the house. It was really live, I'll tell you that.

"We accepted defeat, but I don't want these kids to feel that. I tell them that I went to the semifinals and we lost the game and I don't want them to feel that, so prepare your butt off and make sure you're ready for success."

Wide receiver Grayson Hitt said that it's Thomas' preparation and persistence that make him a good coach.

"He just keeps us on a specific regimen and stays on us and gets after us. He makes us work. He's a great coach for us," Hitt said.

Thomas said that the Mustangs have a different attitude from when he first took over. He said that strength coach Raheem Shabazz has helped Houston gain confidence.

"It used to be that when we would play teams like Whitehaven, the kids would kind of be intimidated," Thomas said. "Our kids have worked so hard and with Coach Shabazz instilling a workman's attitude and that 'if you want something you can get it.' He's a big part of that. The kids love him and they buy in and he just makes them warriors, he really does. So a lot of credit goes to him and our staff, but most of it goes to these young men."

Thomas and his staff have transformed Houston into one of the most prolific offenses in the area. The Mustangs are averaging 43.4 points.

They're led by all-state running back Lincoln Pare, who became the Mustangs all-time and single-season rushing leader Friday night, breaking Abe Felix's marks of 5,461 and 2,601 yards. Ethan Burns has thrown for 2031 passing yards and 29 touchdowns and three interceptions. Hitt has 940 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Ravenwood ikes to throw the ball as well. Bryan Garcia has 2,764 passing yards and 36 touchdowns. Andrew Mason has 1,051 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. The Raptors' defense features the No. 1 college football prospect in the state in defensive end Reggie Grimes.

"I'm pretty sure they're an air raid offense, and I know their quarterback (Garcia) is good. They've got some studs just like Whitehaven," Burns said.

A Houston win would put the Mustangs to their first state title game appearance against either Maryville or Oakland.