Dobyns-Bennett 2020- Team 100 Offseason Thread

DBKPT93

3 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

If you were listening to Coach Christian's remarks directly after the game Friday night you would be pleased. We, as citizens of Kingsport (overly taxed tax payers) and DB football fans need to keep a eye on the situation and make sure Coach Christian and staff get the tools they need to get the program to the next level. The Maryville level.

I didn't get to hear coach but yes I agree on those taxes..Joey is a good guy and  I do hope he gets everything to build the program going forward.

20 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

If you were listening to Coach Christian's remarks directly after the game Friday night you would be pleased. We, as citizens of Kingsport (overly taxed tax payers) and DB football fans need to keep a eye on the situation and make sure Coach Christian and staff get the tools they need to get the program to the next level. The Maryville level.

DB exceeded everyone's expectations this year, including their own.     I talked with a FB parent pre-season and he was hoping for 5-5, which was actually generous compared to what most others were predicting.    But, all that being said, to get DB to The Maryville Level.....   wow man, I mean there is such a disparity between DB and Maryville now, the Rebels are just off the charts.      Maryville made DB look like a middle school, and before someone says it, Maryville would do that to anybody in NET and DB probably game them their best game so far except for Alcoa.    And no, Boone could not stay on the field with Maryville for 5 minutes.       I personally think DB will continue to improve because they are definitely doing some things right, but as long as Maryville is on our side of the state in 6A I just don't see a Cookeville in DB's future.

And before anybody says "Big talk from the little db man, those blazers aren't so hot either..."    Yep, that's right, as long as there is Knox West, Knox Central and Powell in 5A we will never get past the 2nd round.   And next year DB will beat us by whatever score they choose.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:24 PM, blazer1set said:

DB exceeded everyone's expectations this year, including their own.     I talked with a FB parent pre-season and he was hoping for 5-5, which was actually generous compared to what most others were predicting.    But, all that being said, to get DB to The Maryville Level.....   wow man, I mean there is such a disparity between DB and Maryville now, the Rebels are just off the charts.      Maryville made DB look like a middle school, and before someone says it, Maryville would do that to anybody in NET and DB probably game them their best game so far except for Alcoa.    And no, Boone could not stay on the field with Maryville for 5 minutes.       I personally think DB will continue to improve because they are definitely doing some things right, but as long as Maryville is on our side of the state in 6A I just don't see a Cookeville in DB's future.

And before anybody says "Big talk from the little db man, those blazers aren't so hot either..."    Yep, that's right, as long as there is Knox West, Knox Central and Powell in 5A we will never get past the 2nd round.   And next year DB will beat us by whatever score they choose.

But aren’t you the one that was spewing all of that big talk all year? I’m just confused about how you aren’t even a Indian fan, but then talk this big game all year about how we will beat everyone. But now after the season just ended now your tune has changed and we are now nowhere close to the Maryville level. Just make up your mind. 

On another note, the game was much closer than the score showed. Yes we got crushed 45-10, but we also had 3 turnovers in positive territory (2 inside the 10). Potential 21 point swing right there. They scored off of every turnover as well, I’m not saying they wouldn’t have scored anyways, but if you look at it that way it shows we are on the right track. I’m not here for sympathy wins, but it’s a great sign for our program. I said it when we hired Christian that I thought he could come in and change the culture of the program, year 2 was a good look for that. That being also said we are the only team to score points on the Mighty Rebs in the playoffs. I’m also very excited about the amount of guys we have coming back next year. 

Lets break it down,

QB is back

Both RBs back

Lose 1 WR but will get back Marshall who we lost preseason to an ACL tear. 
Lose 2 OL, but get back 3 Season Ending Injury guys including the 3 Jrs that started to finish the year

Lose our TE 

Lose 2 DTs but the other 2 are Jrs that played a ton of snaps this year 

Lose our star DE 

Lose our Mike

Lose our Sam 

and that’s it. Realistically we have 4 positions to find replacements for. Yes, I know 2 of them are 2 of the best on our squad, but I have faith in the kids and the staff to find the right personnel for next year. 

To me this is a great sign of what is to come for this program. 

3 hours ago, DBKPT93 said:

But aren’t you the one that was spewing all of that big talk all year? I’m just confused about how you aren’t even a Indian fan, but then talk this big game all year about how we will beat everyone. But now after the season just ended now your tune has changed and we are now nowhere close to the Maryville level. Just make up your mind. 

Please show where I ever said DB was at the Maryville level going back as many years on the T as you want......        I was one of the few predicting 2019 would be > .500, which it turned out to be, but to try and take that as equaling Maryville.... wow man, now that's a stretch!       But as you say, the Tribe does seem to have it turned around from the last few years, definitely headed in the right direction.   I would say DB is the only 5A/6A NET team that will make it to the 2nd round next year.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:24 PM, blazer1set said:

So, their (the teams and coaches) expectations were 5-5??? When you set the bar that low it's easy to exceed.

19 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

So, their (the teams and coaches) expectations were 5-5??? When you set the bar that low it's easy to exceed.

No, that was just a parent's prediction (5-5).     I don't know any of the coaches so I have no idea what they were thinking.    Hopefully you go into every game thinking you can win it, but you also have to be realistic and realize how hard it is to go 10-0.     I don't think anybody, including here on the T, thought DB would do so well this year.    Making it to the 3rd round after missing the playoffs altogether last year is quite an accomplishment.

1 minute ago, blazer1set said:

No, that was just a parent's prediction (5-5).     I don't know any of the coaches so I have no idea what they were thinking.    Hopefully you go into every game thinking you can win it, but you also have to be realistic and realize how hard it is to go 10-0.     I don't think anybody, including here on the T, thought DB would do so well this year.    Making it to the 3rd round after missing the playoffs altogether last year is quite an accomplishment.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind would have thought DB would go 5-5 with their schedule. You have to admit that DB's road to the third round was rather an easy one. But I'll give them credit for beating a Bearden team in round 2 that had improved since the beginning of the season.
Playing more good teams, like Alcoa, outside their region during the season will help them.

Just my thoughts here.Myself,I understand that a lot of fans didn't think DB was going to have a winning season much less the awesome year they had.I'll admit the same for Batman about " The Big Orange " this year,  I didn't see much hope after that first game with Georgia State.The one thing I seen about DB before the season started was their strength overall as a team.Thats the same thing I noticed about Elizabethton and the gauge I used for both  was  Greeneville.Its not fair for any of us to try and compare a program to Alcoa and Maryville but it's human nature I guess when we all know where the bar is set the highest  in east Tennessee.I think the program at DB has taken steps in that direction with some of the new coaches and AD over the last year or two.I don't have a clue as to how the "athletes walking the halls " looks these days.I do know there are some good coaches that a lot of kids will probably play for right now.It takes a combination of talent and leadership .I always said there was some good coaches but their hands were tied at times .When you have a coach that breaks records in the college weight room, and that was even before TY came back,you need to let those guys teach what they know.It was obvious to me in August that some of those coaches are also helping in some way.2019 was a great year for DB and the first time that I can remember expectations by what most folks outside of the program thought would happen ,"were exceeded ",instead of falling way short.I bet an English teacher would love to grade that last sentence along with my normal lack of spelling ability.Anyway, nomatter what the future holds,we can all agree that the DB players and staff done a great job this year.

Edited by BatmanDevil

1 hour ago, blitzinbuc said:

I don't see how anyone in their right mind would have thought DB would go 5-5 with their schedule. You have to admit that DB's road to the third round was rather an easy one. But I'll give them credit for beating a Bearden team in round 2 that had improved since the beginning of the season.
Playing more good teams, like Alcoa, outside their region during the season will help them.

Get a clue.