Springfield and Elizabethton in the 4A Championship

gr8tplay

51 minutes ago, Poundtherock23 said:

Maybe I can shed a little light on this for both of y’all. Yes the policy, as stated, is open zoned. You have to have a darn good reason and go before the school board for them to allow you to attend another school, a waiver. It would take almost an act of Congress for them, the school board to let this happen. The board of education had a rather large issue a few years back with the DOJ, department of justice, regarding zoning lines. Now we have kids that live in the city limits bused out to county schools when they live maybe a few blocks from their naturally zoned schools. It’s a mess to say the least. Since all of this has occurred I don’t know of anyone in the county that has been granted a waiver to attend out of zone. 

I do believe the whole “open zone” post were brought up by someone other than Springfield fans. The Jackets will step off the bus Saturday morning and be prepared to play Elizabethton. Zoning issues won’t matter one ounce to any of our players, at all. Sorry for the long post.

Pound the rock is correct. Go to the Robertson County schools website and look at the zoning lines for grades 9-12. You will get a good laugh after looking at it. There are kids that live less than two blocks from Springfield Middle School that are zoned to go to Jo Byrns, which is 10-12 miles from their home. There are kids that live in the city limits of Springfield proper that live with 1-2 miles of Springfield High that are zoned for Greenbrier. I know of one who’s father and grandfather were standout players for Springfield but now the third generation is a Greenbrier Bobcat. The DOJ gerrymandered the lines and this is what we wound up with. It would take a whole lot to explain all that went down with that, but it does take an act of Congress to attend any school outside of where you are zoned in Robertson County. 

2 hours ago, Poundtherock23 said:

Back to football.....what kind of offense/defense do the Cyclones run? I do believe this is the first ever meeting between these two teams.

We can spread it out if needed and some games rely heavily on the run with our big RB.  We have 3 great receivers.  We lean heavy on the big boys up front.  A lot of RPO and designed QB runs.  You never know what you’ll get!

Yes, as other have said EHs is more balanced this year than previous teams imo. We have a lot more size than we have had in the past. We got some big WRs that can snag those jump balls and our CBs outsize the opposing WRs making passing a tough job. If I had to say we had a weakness I'd say it would be run D. However with recent success there really aren't any glaring weaknesses. Some times we can get into our own heads and commit some penalties that could be avoided and a couple points this year the kicking game has been inconsistent. Offensively we have many weapons than can hurt you on the ground or through the air. No one is here by mistake and Springfield is definitely going to come in motivated with a chip on their shoulder. I'm expecting a fast paced game between two very talented teams. I can't make a good prediction because we have blown out reams we were supposed to play tight and played tight against teams we should have blown out. Game day can't get here soon enough. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EHSTrack06 said:

Yes, as other have said EHs is more balanced this year than previous teams imo. We have a lot more size than we have had in the past. We got some big WRs that can snag those jump balls and our CBs outsize the opposing WRs making passing a tough job. If I had to say we had a weakness I'd say it would be run D. However with recent success there really aren't any glaring weaknesses. Some times we can get into our own heads and commit some penalties that could be avoided and a couple points this year the kicking game has been inconsistent. Offensively we have many weapons than can hurt you on the ground or through the air. No one is here by mistake and Springfield is definitely going to come in motivated with a chip on their shoulder. I'm expecting a fast paced game between two very talented teams. I can't make a good prediction because we have blown out reams we were supposed to play tight and played tight against teams we should have blown out. Game day can't get here soon enough. 

Very well put! This will be a great one!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Kevin38 I have always respected you as a poster. You have always seemed knowledgeable and a good guy. But with all due respect, if I choose to respond to someone about zoning I will. You said “we”. You do not speak for everyone on these boards. 

This is supposed to be our title game thread and the 1st 5 or 6 pages was about open zone and recruiting and all that mess, it wasn't even Springfield fans making accusations, I wasn't intending to be disrespectful to you, just was hoping we could keep this thread focused on the game and not just be people jostling back and forth over fair/unfair, we have no issue with Elizabethon...

1 minute ago, Kevin38 said:

This is supposed to be our title game thread and the 1st 5 or 6 pages was about open zone and recruiting and all that mess, it wasn't even Springfield fans making accusations, I wasn't intending to be disrespectful to you, just was hoping we could keep this thread focused on the game and not just be people jostling back and forth over fair/unfair, we have no issue with Elizabethon...

No worries I understand. Good luck Saturday. 

• Like 1