Springfield and Elizabethton in the 4A Championship

gr8tplay

Yesterday I watched Elizabethton run a one-back set with the QB or RB doing all the running plays, and a mammoth sized line who exceled in blocking downhill. 
Passing plays?     Bubble screen with the other wide-out(s) blocking downfield.

That offense just seems so familiar, I know I have seen another team from somewhere who ran it successfully for many years and has a lot of 4A gold balls....... ah, maybe it will come to me sooner or later...... I'm GREENE with envy over people who can remember better than I can...... I'm just having a DEVIL of a time trying to recall the name of that team.......

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Yesterday I watched Elizabethton run a one-back set with the QB or RB doing all the running plays, and a mammoth sized line who exceled in blocking downhill. 
Passing plays?     Bubble screen with the other wide-out(s) blocking downfield.

That offense just seems so familiar, I know I have seen another team from somewhere who ran it successfully for many years and has a lot of 4A gold balls....... ah, maybe it will come to me sooner or later...... I'm GREENE with envy over people who can remember better than I can...... I'm just having a DEVIL of a time trying to recall the name of that team.......

This ^^^ is funny.  But very true.  When you have the size and strength to just keep it simple,  protect the ball,  and run the clock to win;  that’s what you do.  You don’t have to get fancy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BetsyCyclones16 said:

Yessir.  Great season.  My guess is they don’t take much time off before hitting that weight room again.  Strength and conditioning really showed this year!  

This group of Cyclones will continue to do whatever it takes to bring another gold ball back to Betsy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

Great comment...I couldnt be more proud of our Jackets, I have a deep rooted family history in this football program (1930s). It really hurts hearing some of the comments that somewhat degrades what our young men accomplished to include some small victories they had yesterday, such as "they coulda scored 50, wasnt trying, etc etc", well you didnt...lol; anyway congrats to you guys, clearly had the better team and you got a gold ball. Being somewhat restrained on throwing the ball we had no choice but to heavily rely on running the ball which is what got us here. Tried passing more early in the year and it just never clicked. We eventually found our identity running the ball because this team just didnt have the capabilities to throw. It worked for the most part because we could move the ball enough to compliment our defense which got us to Cookeville. Betsy was just too good defensively to line up in a box set and run right at them. You all basically schemed the way I would have playing against us. Once again congrats to you guys and hope to see you again!

I believe I was the one that may have made the comment coulda score 50.  It was NOT intended to be degrading or anything negative.  My apologies if it was taken that way.  Someone had made a comment about Witten going vanilla. I made that comment because he’s doesn’t seem like a coach that is selfish and would keep running up the score just because he could. Regardless of what the score was or could have been, Springfield deserved to be there! Springfield has something special going.  It’s obvious you guys have an excellent coaching staff and it shows in your players and support from your fans. You guys had an excellent season and state runner up/silver ball is something to be very proud of.  There were a lot of teams setting at the house watching that would have love to have been in Cookeville. Springfield is definitely on everyone’s radar across the whole state of TN and well deserved. The hard work from the coaches/players and the dedication from the community shows. 

Edited by Romansfive8
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheCommissioner said:

A ball control offense  is sometimes a great defense 

Absolutely.  Keeping the D fresh and off the field.  Very few teams can manage the game like that.  I believe Springfield played very similar to Elizabethton throughout the year in that aspect.  Congrats again on an excellent season.  Hopefully we can do it again in the future! (Next year)