Springfield and Elizabethton in the 4A Championship

gr8tplay

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, DevilMan03 said:

Who won a state football title in 1976? Was that Jeff County? If so Fritz continues to embarrass himself.
Someone please tell that dumbo foot all doesn't have districts. 

I didn't read it but in this part of the state,Morristown east won it in 1969 and TH won it in 71 and 72 when they were voted national champs in 72. Jeff county I believe won it last around 87 or so but now your really getting closer to Knoxville.Same as Sevier county in the late 90's.

On 12/7/2019 at 11:00 PM, lawnman said:

Just got home and I have been watching these Cyclones 38 yrs and have had a lot of sad semifinals and long ride homes but this feeling is unbelievable and I haven’t slept much all week.I congratulated all the coaches and players and told them how proud of them I was and that we are going to party the rest of this year.How about that crowd they said it was a record crowd for a game.How about them Cyclones....wooooooooooooo

yall need to have " ano ther" christmas parade this coming weekend and let those boys ride on a flatbed around town like our boys have done 4 times.....they deserve all the love and attention they get...these kids (all HS fb players) work their tails off year round and the championships arent won in cookeville...they're won in the wieghtrooms and on the practice fields and in the coaches film room....all the places the common fan never sees, but needs to appreciate ...congrats betsy boys, yall earned it and i look forward to watching my devils work harder and harder to make yall realize its way harder to win it "again" than it is to win it the first time......enjoy it betsy, lord knows, but we dont....how many of these we get to witness in our lives and if it ends up just being this ONE, you will never forget it and no one can ever take it away ( until next december):D

1 hour ago, BVDevil said:

yall need to have " ano ther" christmas parade this coming weekend and let those boys ride on a flatbed around town like our boys have done 4 times.....they deserve all the love and attention they get...these kids (all HS fb players) work their tails off year round and the championships arent won in cookeville...they're won in the wieghtrooms and on the practice fields and in the coaches film room....all the places the common fan never sees, but needs to appreciate ...congrats betsy boys, yall earned it and i look forward to watching my devils work harder and harder to make yall realize its way harder to win it "again" than it is to win it the first time......enjoy it betsy, lord knows, but we dont....how many of these we get to witness in our lives and if it ends up just being this ONE, you will never forget it and no one can ever take it away ( until next december):D

You are always a class act sir. Thank you from Cyclone Nation. We look forward to getting back to work and visiting your house next season. It’s going to be a hard road next year. Got you on the road, then if we make it to qtr finals it’s either probably you at our house or AC on the road. A lot of different scenarios to play out but a trip back to state means being road warriors next season with this home field going to the other districts. We need to travel well as fans and take back that home field advantage for our boys. Just hoping 4A won’t be a Thursday game. 

20 hours ago, DevilMan03 said:

At least Witten said he wanted to be like Greeneville lol

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And hey, that formula works. The biggest difference I’ve seen in Betsy and all of the other teams that have bettered them can be summed up in just one player....Youngblood! He is the mold for all football players in my opinion. The weight room does not lie. Focus and desire. Lung capacity is great. Speed kills. But you add POWER to that equation and Gold Balls start dropping out of the sky. Hey. We ain’t too proud.

20 hours ago, DevilMan03 said:

At least Witten said he wanted to be like Greeneville lol

1 hour ago, BVDevil said:

Thanks BVD and we had a parade tonight for the State Champs and celebrated at the stadium.I don’t really think it has All sunk in just yet but we had a ball tonight and took pics and celebrated.

On 12/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, Kevin38 said:

Great comment...I couldnt be more proud of our Jackets, I have a deep rooted family history in this football program (1930s). It really hurts hearing some of the comments that somewhat degrades what our young men accomplished to include some small victories they had yesterday, such as "they coulda scored 50, wasnt trying, etc etc", well you didnt...lol; anyway congrats to you guys, clearly had the better team and you got a gold ball. Being somewhat restrained on throwing the ball we had no choice but to heavily rely on running the ball which is what got us here. Tried passing more early in the year and it just never clicked. We eventually found our identity running the ball because this team just didnt have the capabilities to throw. It worked for the most part because we could move the ball enough to compliment our defense which got us to Cookeville. Betsy was just too good defensively to line up in a box set and run right at them. You all basically schemed the way I would have playing against us. Once again congrats to you guys and hope to see you again!

I’d say top 3 defensive teams in Cookeville this weekend were Maryville, Alcoa and Elizabethton, in that order. We took the pass away from Nolensville and made them one dimensional. We were built to stop Greeneville’s run game so a running team just plays into our hands. And once we get a lead you can count on a heavy dose of Maupin and Rollins and our O-Line to burn clock. I loved how coach Wilson got all choked up talking about the 4th and goal play. It shows he really loves his kids and cares about them. Classy program you got there. Good luck next year.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 10:56 AM, TheCommissioner said:

This will be my last comment on this thread. I realize to comment further will just cause me to be vilified by the NET faithful.  But to make open end statements and gross generalizations like, “4 A isn’t very good” gets my anger up.

Springfield over achieved this year to make it to the 4A championship game.  You beat his yesterday at the child’s game of High School football and you beat us good.  Football isn’t the measure of our young men though.  By over achieving this year, they showed the strength of their CHARACTER.  This will serve them well for the remainder of their lives not just for a fleeting moment on a beautiful sunny December day in Mid Tennessee. Since we are a very rural county a small number of players will seek employment in the military service for employment to help preserve the rights for old men like us to have the freedom to use forums like this without fear.  I am still proud of our team because of the whole season we had.  I refuse to let the butt whipping we took yesterday to be our measuring stick.  If that is what you chose to measure us by that is your God given and American protected right 

I take umbrage to statements like that.   

Football is a game. And wise men we call coaches use it to teach values and life lessons to young men. I know I was taught a lot over 30 years ago. And I will NEVER forget those lessons. They will do me more good than any Gold Ball ever could. (But it would have been nice to have one)

Edited by Razor61
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

You are always a class act sir. Thank you from Cyclone Nation. We look forward to getting back to work and visiting your house next season. It’s going to be a hard road next year. Got you on the road, then if we make it to qtr finals it’s either probably you at our house or AC on the road. A lot of different scenarios to play out but a trip back to state means being road warriors next season with this home field going to the other districts. We need to travel well as fans and take back that home field advantage for our boys. Just hoping 4A won’t be a Thursday game. 

thanks razor...next year will be interesting for both of us.....you guys will be fighting complacency on top of greene devils and we will be fighting everyone and every thing.....lol...seriously though, the view from on top of the  mountain is a whoooooole lot different than it is when you're still climbing and Betsy is about to find that out. gona be a great great off season for you guys, trust me...just dont go broke buying up all that state championship gear....lol.....save some money for yourself a brand new " 5 time state champs" shirt next year about this time....i'll save you one, just let me know what size:mrgreen:

Well nolensville mr football hurt his knee early on in the game so that helped a lot with taking pass away. As for next year injuries will play a big part elizabethton was pretty much Injury free this year. You never know what players will get better or will get worse. The conference is bad east central union Granger and south probably will get mercy ruled by elizabethton and greeneville. 

Edited by Tab