Alcoa vs Pearl Cohn 3A Championship

Nextoneup

8 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

My question is why he never left to coach in college? "Rankin"

Gary Rankin is a retired educator in the state who works on a 100 day contract and just gets to carry the title of head football coach.  If I were a guessing man I would say that he probably makes somewhere in the neighborhood of $125,000-$150,000 to be the football coach at Alcoa.  His sons John Tucker and Zeke (this upcoming May) will receive their high school degrees from Alcoa and be able to say that they won numerous state championships while playing for their dad in high school.  His wife works in the medical field and is incredibly successful as well.  

I laugh every single time someone says "he's going to a private school" because I just don't see it.  If he coaches for 5 more years he will become only the third coach in the history of high school football to reach 500 career victories.  At the same time there's a strong possibility that he would also reach 20 state championships in the process.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 11:11 AM, CoachingFromTheStands said:

A very true statement many won't say. Rankin is a good coach, but how many times has he been forced to really out coach other coaches to win? Could he have beaten this years Alcoa team had he coached at Austin East, Kingston, Pearl Cohn, Loudon, GP, or any of the other schools? Did he leave Riverdale because he knew what was coming with the other schools? Could he have turned the Cleveland program around? This isn't a knock on Rankin because he does have his wins and championships, but some only see wins and act like Alcoa isn't always loaded.

He has an outstanding supporting vast of assistants, a community that supports the program which allows them to have great facilities. Winning and good facilities really help bring in transfers. One transfer was quoted saying such

"Alcoa has won four straight state championships, and I’m ready to get one because I’m tired of losing,”

And that transfer is an outstanding play maker.

Now I don't think Rankin is the one going out convincing kids to play for Alcoa the program and championships sell itself. However the people talking to others about their kids would be people not directly involved with the program. I have worked with and talked with numerous parents who have had conversations about jobs and cheaper housing if they want to be in the area and the kids play ball. 

The TSSAA would never investigate or penalize Alcoa. That would ruin their image and show their lack of competence to regulate and manage a system properly. The chance to showcase a coach or program with so many wins across the country would really look bad if he was found guilty.

Now for those Tornadoes that will get defensive, I apologize if this hit a sensitive spot. I am just looking at this without blinders on. This is not the only program in the area to take advantage of transfers. 

Like I stated before, Alcoa offers a lot more than other schools which helps it sell itself. With open enrollment as well, unless TSSAA makes major changes to the system, Alcoa will continue to win. Once Rankin is gone, Nix will take over and his energy and ability to see the game and make adjustments will only continue the trend. 

This is all just opinions and observations. I understand my opinion will change nothing and this whole piece was probably a waste of time. Still fun to have discussions, even if I don't post often. 

i believe you are spot on

On 12/12/2019 at 7:13 PM, howdoitknow said:

Gary Rankin is a retired educator in the state who works on a 100 day contract and just gets to carry the title of head football coach.  If I were a guessing man I would say that he probably makes somewhere in the neighborhood of $125,000-$150,000 to be the football coach at Alcoa.  His sons John Tucker and Zeke (this upcoming May) will receive their high school degrees from Alcoa and be able to say that they won numerous state championships while playing for their dad in high school.  His wife works in the medical field and is incredibly successful as well.  

I laugh every single time someone says "he's going to a private school" because I just don't see it.  If he coaches for 5 more years he will become only the third coach in the history of high school football to reach 500 career victories.  At the same time there's a strong possibility that he would also reach 20 state championships in the process.  

So no teaching just all ball. Do you know how many coaches in the state does this? Always thought you had to be a full time employee to be a HC. Smart on Alcoa part