Oak Ridge High School Football 2020

CardinalGrey

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Not sure if he was hurt all year long, but of course he was early on in the season. Even though he rushed for over 1000 yards, most of those yards came against Karns and other bad teams. Our offensive line certainly didn’t help matters, but I will agree with you that I was not overly impressed by him this past season. That’s not to say that I don’t think he didn’t put forth the effort. I hardly think that, but there was just something missing. I’m glad he has another year left though.

I agree with most of what you said.He made mistakes at times trying to do too much.But to his credit I think playcalling and no blocking was his biggest problem.He is the kind of RB that needs to get going to show his best.Not comparing him to D.Henry but like Henry they both look really bad when defense is on them before they get that big body going.You give Jackson 3 or 4 steps and he can make things happen.There is no creativity in the run game what so ever.Plus you had a QB that would run RPOs and hand it to him when he shouldve kept it.If you go back and watch Summit game look and see why the run didnt work.I blamed our line all yr but after watching film our problem was blocking scheme.We ran so many plays where nobody blocked the DE and he was hitting Kendell as the handoff was being made or attempted.For some reason our OC never picked up on that not working after 14 games.Some guys like Graham and KJ are so good the only way they dont gain 4 plus yards is if you let someone come straight thru untouched.Maybe NFL and good colleges can run blocking schemes like that but we have failed at it for way too long to keep trying.

38 minutes ago, STILLNUM1 said:

I agree with most of what you said.He made mistakes at times trying to do too much.But to his credit I think playcalling and no blocking was his biggest problem.He is the kind of RB that needs to get going to show his best.Not comparing him to D.Henry but like Henry they both look really bad when defense is on them before they get that big body going.You give Jackson 3 or 4 steps and he can make things happen.There is no creativity in the run game what so ever.Plus you had a QB that would run RPOs and hand it to him when he shouldve kept it.If you go back and watch Summit game look and see why the run didnt work.I blamed our line all yr but after watching film our problem was blocking scheme.We ran so many plays where nobody blocked the DE and he was hitting Kendell as the handoff was being made or attempted.For some reason our OC never picked up on that not working after 14 games.Some guys like Graham and KJ are so good the only way they dont gain 4 plus yards is if you let someone come straight thru untouched.Maybe NFL and good colleges can run blocking schemes like that but we have failed at it for way too long to keep trying.

Yeah, I will agree with you on most of that, if not all of it. It’s funny, because the same things that happened in the Summit game with their DE crashing down like that happened all game long in the 1st West game too. Smh. How the OC never adjusted to that, I’ll never know. West #15 I remember basically set up a tent and camped out in our backfield in that first game we played them. I guess I just kept waiting for KJ to take over a game this season, even with the mediocre line we had, but he just never did. Great players like Summers & Gulmire seem to rise to the occasion when games are on the line, and even in our great run in the playoffs KJ just never seemed to. I guess that’s what most disappointed me regarding him. Granted, both of the guys aforementioned had much better lines blocking for them, so that’s probably an unfair comparison. 

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

One thing that was tough for Kendall is he was injured early in the season, then came back, but with injuries to two offensive linemen, he was getting hands on him a lot early, before he could get a step. A back like Kendall needs to get downhill running the ball and its hard to do if he gets hands on him early, A good winter in the weight room and a good spring practice (we didn't have that last year) will help him a lot. I think the offensive line could be better if they spend a lot of weight room time and learn to work together in the spring, If we are going to be good next season with all the senior losses, we need to be better up front on both sides of the ball. Good enough for Kendall to run behind and enough to get pressure on opposing quarterbacks. There are going to be a lot of positions open this spring,

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Yeah, I will agree with you on most of that, if not all of it. It’s funny, because the same things that happened in the Summit game with their DE crashing down like that happened all game long in the 1st West game too. Smh. How the OC never adjusted to that, I’ll never know. West #15 I remember basically set up a tent and camped out in our backfield in that first game we played them. I guess I just kept waiting for KJ to take over a game this season, even with the mediocre line we had, but he just never did. Great players like Summers & Gulmire seem to rise to the occasion when games are on the line, and even in our great run in the playoffs KJ just never seemed to. I guess that’s what most disappointed me regarding him. Granted, both of the guys aforementioned had much better lines blocking for them, so that’s probably an unfair comparison. 

I forgot about that but your so right about the West game.I with you 100 % on Gulmire and Summers.Its crazy how many really good RBs we have had.I wouldnt put KJ in my top 5 RBs since 1991 and maybe closer to 10 than 5.But its not a knock on him but just tells you how many great RBs we have had.I think if KJ cleans up some things like how he carries ball,getting lower and going north and south he will be even better.Just imagine him on Summits team with all those blockers giving him room and he goes for 100 plus easy.

3 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

One thing that was tough for Kendall is he was injured early in the season, then came back, but with injuries to two offensive linemen, he was getting hands on him a lot early, before he could get a step. A back like Kendall needs to get downhill running the ball and its hard to do if he gets hands on him early, A good winter in the weight room and a good spring practice (we didn't have that last year) will help him a lot. I think the offensive line could be better if they spend a lot of weight room time and learn to work together in the spring, If we are going to be good next season with all the senior losses, we need to be better up front on both sides of the ball. Good enough for Kendall to run behind and enough to get pressure on opposing quarterbacks. There are going to be a lot of positions open this spring,

I would love for Oak Ridge to have a great Dline.I felt like by end of year we had improved a lot.I worry most next yr about our Dline.The Oline has some options if our OC figures out how to use them.I was really down on the Oline until I looked at some film and seen how they wasnt getting beat near as much as the scheme was getting beat.I wanna see our QBs get in weight room and be ready.Tarwater is gonna be a JR and dont look like he has gained any muscle since he got to high school.I would love to see an off season where we see a lot of guys put on good weight and look different by the time season starts.Lets hope the trip to Cookeville inspired coaches and players.Im ready to go back

43 minutes ago, STILLNUM1 said:

I would love for Oak Ridge to have a great Dline.I felt like by end of year we had improved a lot.I worry most next yr about our Dline.The Oline has some options if our OC figures out how to use them.I was really down on the Oline until I looked at some film and seen how they wasnt getting beat near as much as the scheme was getting beat.I wanna see our QBs get in weight room and be ready.Tarwater is gonna be a JR and dont look like he has gained any muscle since he got to high school.I would love to see an off season where we see a lot of guys put on good weight and look different by the time season starts.Lets hope the trip to Cookeville inspired coaches and players.Im ready to go back

Our problem this year on the D line was that we were so undersized it seems. To their credit, they tried extremely hard. But, when both of your tackles go about 5’9” 220, it sure makes it harder. I don’t know what we’re NOT feeding our kids in OR, but I wished we could figure out what we SHOULD be feeding them, cause it seems that we are undersized almost every single year. I loved how hard our guys fought who were on the line, but it’d sure make it easier to have a few 6’1” 250 LB’ers instead. Lol

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 5:24 AM, CardinalGrey said:

Kickoff tonight!

RWR!

WHAT TIME IS IT???

Time to create the Oak Ridge Football 2021 thread.

CardinalGrey, you up to it? You and your family have earned the right.

ONE MORE POST IN THE 2020 thread...

I have been outed. Forced from the closet. Cherry popped. No, I am not gay just received a phone call from a poster from the Oak Ridge threads. :roflol:

I was honored to get the call and the very kind words of support. My best to this poster in all that he does.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All Oak Ridgers and other high school fans.

...next year Santa, I really want that Gold Ball! I promise to be good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Our problem this year on the D line was that we were so undersized it seems. To their credit, they tried extremely hard. But, when both of your tackles go about 5’9” 220, it sure makes it harder. I don’t know what we’re NOT feeding our kids in OR, but I wished we could figure out what we SHOULD be feeding them, cause it seems that we are undersized almost every single year. I loved how hard our guys fought who were on the line, but it’d sure make it easier to have a few 6’1” 250 LB’ers instead. Lol

Lol I know.Our DTs got the most out of what they had.Sure wouldve been nice if Williams wouldnt have left right before the season.Between him Keterson and the 2 hurt Olineman it really hurt us where we couldnt afford to lose guys the most.We need a strength coach or somebody to step up and commit to helping these guys get bigger.We need a program thats almost yr around instead of a month before season.You can always tell the 3 to 5 guys who committed to getting bigger and working hard in off season.

• 1 month later...