WESTVIEW CHARGERS HEAD COACH JOB

3rddownpunt

12 hours ago, mamabear37 said:

Oh sugar I promise you I’m no “newbie” even if I’m new to posting on here. You didn’t come at me? That’s exactly what you are doing now. It’s ok, I’m pretty thick skinned so if it makes you feel better so be it. I apologize if your feelings got hurt. I hope it makes you feel like a real man to tell a lady to shut up. I won’t be responding any further as this is  irrelevant to discuss. Bless your heart.

Bless your heart. No ma’am I did Not come at you first or quote you first. You told me to take a seat. So go check your posts before you try to point out to me. So don’t throw the rock then hide the hand and say poor me you are coming at me now. I posted And gave my opinion on an open forum. Since you have been on here for a while you should know this. 

Edited by BigEdMo
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, mamabear37 said:

Third times a charm or three strikes you’re out. However you look at it. Westview HAS to make the right hire for the program here long term, no doubt. You can take your sarcasm & have a seat. No one is disputing the fact that Westview is not sitting pretty right now considering this is our 2nd coaching search in less than a year. The talent is there, those kids are hungry & ready to work. They deserve a proven coach who will get the job done & stay. 

I don’t understand the “three strikes you’re out” comment? Cantrell was a great assistant for 15yrs, and earned every right at his chance to be HC. Bad first season, lots better second season, bad third season, and gone. Second “strike” is McConnell who is/was a great coach, moved the program back in the right direction, but left after one season to be with his family. So both guys were the right hire for Martin Westview at the time of their hiring.

Westview is a fairly attractive job, I would think they would make another good hire similar to a McConnell type. They should have most of their skill guys & a 5* QB returning, but will be a little thin on the line

58 minutes ago, WesTNFootball said:

I don’t understand the “three strikes you’re out” comment? Cantrell was a great assistant for 15yrs, and earned every right at his chance to be HC. Bad first season, lots better second season, bad third season, and gone. Second “strike” is McConnell who is/was a great coach, moved the program back in the right direction, but left after one season to be with his family. So both guys were the right hire for Martin Westview at the time of their hiring.

Westview is a fairly attractive job, I would think they would make another good hire similar to a McConnell type. They should have most of their skill guys & a 5* QB returning, but will be a little thin on the line

That comment was really meant more as sarcasm to the other guy to be honest. You make some very valid points here & although I agree that Cantrell being promoted within was the right move at that time, he wasn’t successful, & I’m thankful they moved on from him. I cannot speak highly enough of Coach McConnell & what he did for Westview football. He loves what he does, & it shows in his love for the players. We hate to see him go, but we understand & wish him nothing but success. Really my main concern is that they take their time & make a proven hire here, someone that’s in it for the long term. Players & parents have dealt with 2 coaching searches, & at some point enough is enough when our kids could easily be playing at other places. These boys work hard in the classroom & on the field. They only get 4 years to make it count. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, mamabear37 said:

Westview will make a mediocre hire that will be centered around their star QB, & good PR. Too many chiefs  in the mix making decisions & calling the shots. Westview probably won’t even reach out to Puckett. Even IF he were ready to look elsewhere. He is #1 on the list for a lot of folks from Martin, but it just isn’t happening. If Westview gets this hire wrong this time( and they will) it will be interesting to see where some of their best players will be transferring....Henry Co? Trenton? Wait & see. The tables will turn.

I have to agree, there are way too many chiefs trying to make decisions over there. From what I'm hearing, no one really wants the job because of the 5 star QB and the influence of his dad. Remember, Westview calls UTM's stadium home and would do whatever it takes to make sure their stud QB doesn't leave. I think Puckett is the guy for the job, but no way he's going to work there if Coach Simpson is trying to have a hand in things, everyone knows Puckett is going to do things the way he wants to do them! :thumb:

I don't think Coach Puckett will take the Westview job. Believe it or not he is in a better situation at Lake County. He is the head baseball coach at Lake County also. His youngest son is a heck of a QB in his own right. Simpson is a sophomore just like young Puckett. I know coach Puckett loves Lake County and the kids here. I think in the end coach Puckett will still be at LC next year. I could be wrong but just do not think it will happen. Look at the region that Westview is in and tell me they can be a major player in that region year and year out. I think not. I'm saying this on my own. I have not spoken to coach Puckett about the matter. It's just a gut feeling. 

2 hours ago, lakecounty1968 said:

I don't think Coach Puckett will take the Westview job. Believe it or not he is in a better situation at Lake County. He is the head baseball coach at Lake County also. His youngest son is a heck of a QB in his own right. Simpson is a sophomore just like young Puckett. I know coach Puckett loves Lake County and the kids here. I think in the end coach Puckett will still be at LC next year. I could be wrong but just do not think it will happen. Look at the region that Westview is in and tell me they can be a major player in that region year and year out. I think not. I'm saying this on my own. I have not spoken to coach Puckett about the matter. It's just a gut feeling. 

I would agree with you. I ultimately think it is a clash of styles. Simpson’s dad will have a say in the next coach. And Pickett likes to run the Qb as well as throw. I can’t see Simpson wanting his son to run the ball 20 times a game and risk that scholarship. Just my two cents. 

5 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I would agree with you. I ultimately think it is a clash of styles. Simpson’s dad will have a say in the next coach. And Pickett likes to run the Qb as well as throw. I can’t see Simpson wanting his son to run the ball 20 times a game and risk that scholarship. Just my two cents. 

I wouldn't have a problem with Simpson  helping in the search,  afterall he does have experience in hiring coaches.  I've also never heard of him trying to run things while Coach McConnell was in charge.  I'd think if anything he'd be willing to help in anyway possible if needed. As far as coaching style is concerned, I think any coach could easily adjust their style to fit Ty's game.  Yes he can sling it but he doesn't hesitate to fly up field when needed. Only deference is Ty wouldn't be able to take the pounding up the middle all game like LC's Snider but don't think he'd need to, especially if the Puckett kid was lining up on the same side of the ball. I think Puckett would be a great at westview if they could land him but then again not sure he'd leave Lake County.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

You do realize Ty is rated top 5 “dual threat” QB? He is there to throw & run, and I think he was the second leading rusher on WHS. 
Coach Simpson could be very valuable in landing a coach & educating a coach, he is a Div1 head football coach. WHS coaches would be dumb to not use the knowledge available at UTM. But make no mistake, WHS is a Weakley Co school, Simpson works for UTM. Weakley Co will have to ok the hire, not Simpson. 

• Upvote 1