Cheatham County Coaching Search

BoardHater71

Maybe everyone can keep it clean and on track and not attack anyone else and we can talk about the Cubs Football Program and who would make a great choice to be the next coach.  

Cheatham County Cubs Football Coaching History:

1951-1969:  Ralph Spangler 

1970:  Mike Jarreau 

1971:  Jerry O. Bishop 

1972-1974:  Bruce Gibbs

1975-1976:  Charlie Daniel

1977-1978:  Bennie Daniel

1979-1982:  Derek Crass

1983-1984:  Bennie Daniel

1985-1986:  Fred Clayton 

1987-1990:  Jimmy Stack

1991-1993:  Rick Butler 

1994-1996:  Terry Arrington 

1997:  Tommy Tharp

1998-1999:  Walt Randolph 

2000-2001:  Jeremy Boyd

2002-2012:  Cody Finley

2013:  Jack Jakobik

2013-2014:  Brian Mintz

2015:  Chris Bain

2015-2018:  Eric Hatley 

2019:  Dwayne Daniel

2020:  

My vote was for Jon Offutt who was once the head coach at Macon County, Springfield, Northwest, and West Creek.  I also think that given the recent success of area Middle School Coaches who have jumped to the High School ranks and won (i.e. Dustin Wilson, Chris Hughes, Houston Thiel) that Michael Carter would be a great choice.  My final choice is a wild card but he does have family that has coached at CCCHS before and he’s been a head coach at Hickman County and Creek Wood in the past and that’s Chuck Daniel. I believe any of those three guys would make for a solid choice.  

1 hour ago, THUNDERLIPS said:

If Coach Carter applied he should get it. Good guy that the kids actually respect. But he seems to be pretty busy at Cheatham Middle. 

I also think that Tommy Rewis would be a good choice.  He’s a good football coach.  He’s in the region and has been a head coach at several places.  

Another good football coach who’s already in the county who would be a great hire is former Sycamore head coach Gary Halstead.  

2 hours ago, TripleO said:

As said in the previous thread this county will never hire a quality head coach again. The current HCs in the county wouldnt cut it anywhere else. 

Add to the fact that the sport is dying in the county. All three high schools have 90 total kids playing combined. 

People said that 5 years ago and Eric Hatley walked in and took Cheatham to 4 straight playoff runs. Including a home playoff game. Under Hatley more players got offers to college than the previous 5 coaches combined. Also led 3A in rushing two years in a row. It'll take a coach that's willing to put in a lot of work.

Having two small schools 10 min apart hurts numbers. They need to combine Cheatham and sycamore. You'll see 80+ players on the same sideline. 

1998-1999:  Mack Mangrum (DePauw)

1999-2000:  Michael Jackson (UT-Martin)

1999-2000:  Kevin Anderson (TSU)

2002-2003:  Justin Bell (Wofford)

2005-006:  Brad Potts, Landon Jones, Brandon Piper, Donny Thomas (Bethel)

2005-2006:  Jack Hoeh (Austin Peay)

2005-2006:  Clint Casteel (North Alabama)

2012-2013:  Dakota White (Community College in Minnesota)

2013-2014:  Brady Bose (Tennessee Tech)

2013-2014:  Desmond Sweatt (Lindsay Wilson)

On 12/7/2019 at 5:10 PM, howdoitknow said:

I know I’m missing some so anyone feel free to fill in any blanks that I missed along the way.  

There has been minimal talent come out of Cheatham County as a whole, especially when it comes to football. Sycamore and Harpeth have had a handful of college football players, but not many. 

On 12/7/2019 at 1:37 PM, TripleO said:

As said in the previous thread this county will never hire a quality head coach again. The current HCs in the county wouldnt cut it anywhere else. 

Add to the fact that the sport is dying in the county. All three high schools have 90 total kids playing combined. 

Making a username just to post your highly intelligent opinion is not necessary. The fact that a coach can have success at all in that county is pretty impressive. No money, no resources, minimal support and limited talent. 

I disagree about Sycamore being that bad offensively. This year their defense gave up 30 points multiple times this season. I agree that Cheatham as a whole has had more success over the last 10 years, but realistically they have both been about the same. Cheatham was 2nd in the region 3 years ago, Sycamore was this season. Prior to that it was 2012 the last really good season for Cheatham? The last Cheatham County school to make it to quarterfinals other than the 2012 Cubs was 2006 Sycamore? Sycamore hasn't been past 1st round in over 10 years.  Tyler Williams missed playoffs last two seasons, Al Pellegrino finished 3rd and was one and done, Justin Robison has been to playoffs 3/4 years finishing 3rd twice and 2nd once. All of those appearances are one and done. 

Traditionally all of the Chetham School programs are around .500 or below, there just isn't a lot going on in the area. Every now and again a team will have a decent season, but realistically it is just not a football area, no matter who is coaching. As stated previously there are a lot of factors why this is, but I believe the main problem is support and funding.

TripleO, realistically no team from Cheatham Co. has had a chance to win the region title. No Cheatham, Sycamore or Harpeth team can compete with Fairview. That school has ALL the things the Chetham schools do not. Fairview will continue to win the region as long as it stays the way it is.

What i saw of Sycamore this year the defense wasnt the problem. If the offense didnt turn the ball over they would go 3 and out. Hasnt this team averaged 14 points per game the last 4 years?

Your defense sucks too, but its because your offense puts them in bad stops. 

They should fire their OC.