District 6A Rankings

Ucdad

42 minutes ago, basecoach said:

Now grant it I am no basketball guru but I love to watch and have watched every coach in this District for many years now. I will say that Edwards is a real good coach and Amonette is a real good Coach but from there you are going to be hard pressed to convince me that Thomas from Jackson County is a better coach and that Pyle from Clarkrange is a better coach, that the coach from Red Boiling Springs is better coach, had Marsh not transferred there they would not have won a district game,  the coach from Trousdale is not a better coach he just has a lot of athletes on his team and who really knows what kind of coach Bibb really is. Also it is really hard to compare apples to oranges. Clay County has always been a basketball school but in reality how many games would Clay County have won the years that Tyreke was there had he not been there. He was 1 of those players that come along once in a coaches career. He would have made any coach look great.  So to say that he is the 5th best coach makes me think that you are (1) a hater or (2) a former player of his that must have been really bad and never got any playing time or (3) a former player from one of the other schools in the district.  I am not saying that Monterey is a basketball power house but I do know that in the last several years that teams have dreaded playing them because most games they were going to give you all that you wanted and you would have to play your best to beat them and that mentality does not start with 16 year old young men so someone has been having to instill that in them. In closing I am not saying that he is the best coach in the district but he by far should be ranked higher than 5th. Just my 2 cents       

Coach Edwards at Clay Co 20 years 12 sub states 6 State Tournaments so the years with Key is not all he has won, yes Key was one in a lifetime player for a coach. But no matter the coach talent makes a big difference,  Coach West has had a great 3 years but that’s it, can he do it year in year out that’s what good coaches do. Bibb at Gville just look what he done this year and was always in the picture when he was at Pickett Co Pyle at Clarkrange has done more with less than any coach in the league. Thomas at Jackson same thing more with less my opinion these are the best 4 coaches. West is a good coach but has had 3 good years coaching as far as won loss record and yes the last 3 years teas have dreaded playing them. All I’m saying is prove to me that your a good coach year in year out no just 2-3 years. 
also rank the Coaches top to bottom and why. 

This is how I would rank the coaches and why

1. Edwards Clay Co record and accomplishments speak for their self

2. Bibb Gville look what he has done first year in GVille and what he done at Pickett, Pickett was always the team to beat when he was there 

3. Pyle at Clarkrange does more with less than anyone always hard out at tournament time

4. Thomas Jackson Co makes average kids better always has chance to win 

5. West at Monterey he’s has made this program better over pass three years and if he can do it year in year out would be at the top with Edwards 

6-8 pickem I don’t think any of the rest are that much different 

Pickett Co not much of a team just two man show. You don’t have to change anything against them just get a game plan and it works all year good coaching makes you do different things each game 

Trousdale Co just not a good coach 

Red Boiling Owens the worst in my opinion record will be good but that’s because of very week schedule won the last few years because of Marsh 

These are my thoughts Edwards the best 2-5 could be a toss up not a lot of difference 1-5 6-8 not close to the top 5. 

Thoughts and why please 

17 minutes ago, ref83 said:

Coach Edwards at Clay Co 20 years 12 sub states 6 State Tournaments so the years with Key is not all he has won, yes Key was one in a lifetime player for a coach. But no matter the coach talent makes a big difference,  Coach West has had a great 3 years but that’s it, can he do it year in year out that’s what good coaches do. Bibb at Gville just look what he done this year and was always in the picture when he was at Pickett Co Pyle at Clarkrange has done more with less than any coach in the league. Thomas at Jackson same thing more with less my opinion these are the best 4 coaches. West is a good coach but has had 3 good years coaching as far as won loss record and yes the last 3 years teas have dreaded playing them. All I’m saying is prove to me that your a good coach year in year out no just 2-3 years. 
also rank the Coaches top to bottom and why. 

The definition of a good coach isn't always defined by the win loss record. I gave you Clay County they have always been blessed with basketball talent. Gordonsville has some talented ball players, so please tell me what Bibb has done with that program. They beat Monterey when the post player was suspended a couple of games. When the season was on the line how did they fare?  As far as when he was in Pickett County what did he accomplish. Ask Pickett County about him and they will tell you that he is an awful coach. I am not agreeing with your comment about Pyle either. The last couple of years he has had some good ball players and some pretty good teams but that hasn't got him anywhere but has done more with less, that is a load of crap. Thomas in Jackson County has had some pretty good teams with good ball players in the last couple of years but that hasn't got him anywhere either. I have  listened to the parents in the stands the last couple of years and they can't stand him either. Peyton West is an above average ball player but the rest are not what I call great ball players but they play hard and win ball games even when West isn't having a good game, in my opinion he has done more with less than any coach in this district.  For the last 5 or 6 years Monterey has been a handful for any team to play. Before that,  Monterey was accustomed to loosing and it takes a while to get that mentality out of the program and it is not done over night, and I personally believe West has done a pretty good job changing that mentality without a Tyreke Key coming through the program. So you give me your definition of a good coach and then I will rank the coaches in District 6 accordingly 

1.) Edwards - no doubt a great coach  Top notch program. One of the best in the state. Due in large part to him. 

2.) Amonett - very solid coach, good young team. They will continue to get better  

3.) West - solid coach, took some time but he has turned Montereys program around. And made them a contender. 

4.) Bibb - solid coach, had some good years at PC. Didn’t make it any farther than Gville did last year. I think he will do fine at Gville, but will have a hard time competing with football. 
5.)  Pyle - has had some good years, talent has been lacking last several years. Here he may going to York. Still a good coach  

6.)  Sleeper - TC has good athletes but it’s a football town. Hard to change that culture. I think he does the best with what he has. 

7.) Thomas - hard nosed coach, pretty good coach, has some pretty good talent. Sorta shocked they didn’t do better this year. But it’s a very tough district. 
8.) Owens - knows basketball but schedules for wins. RBS used to have a lot of talent up there, now not so much. With 8 seniors exiting, they will be hurting. 

27 minutes ago, basecoach said:

The definition of a good coach isn't always defined by the win loss record. I gave you Clay County they have always been blessed with basketball talent. Gordonsville has some talented ball players, so please tell me what Bibb has done with that program. They beat Monterey when the post player was suspended a couple of games. When the season was on the line how did they fare?  As far as when he was in Pickett County what did he accomplish. Ask Pickett County about him and they will tell you that he is an awful coach. I am not agreeing with your comment about Pyle either. The last couple of years he has had some good ball players and some pretty good teams but that hasn't got him anywhere but has done more with less, that is a load of crap. Thomas in Jackson County has had some pretty good teams with good ball players in the last couple of years but that hasn't got him anywhere either. I have  listened to the parents in the stands the last couple of years and they can't stand him either. Peyton West is an above average ball player but the rest are not what I call great ball players but they play hard and win ball games even when West isn't having a good game, in my opinion he has done more with less than any coach in this district.  For the last 5 or 6 years Monterey has been a handful for any team to play. Before that,  Monterey was accustomed to loosing and it takes a while to get that mentality out of the program and it is not done over night, and I personally believe West has done a pretty good job changing that mentality without a Tyreke Key coming through the program. So you give me your definition of a good coach and then I will rank the coaches in District 6 accordingly 

Monterey has not been a handful the last 5-6 years but have the last 3

record last 6 years

2014-15 21-11

2015-16 12-19

2016-17 15-19

2017-18 31-7

2018-19 27-10 

Just now, ref83 said:

Monterey has not been a handful the last 5-6 years but have the last 3

record last 6 years

2014-15 21-11

2015-16 12-19

2016-17 15-19

2017-18 31-7

2018-19 27-10 

31 minutes ago, basecoach said:

I agree that a won lost record does make a good coach 

a lot of things make a good coach, getting kids to play hard and respect you, as a coach working to improve your self, make your program a good program (not just 2-3 years over a long period of time). Getting the most out of all you players, 

Tyreke was in the program 4 years those were not the only good years Clay has had. What would they have won if he wasn’t there who knows but Coach Edwards over the years has had to replace 3-5 players each year and is always in the running to win this league. As for what Bibb done this year took a team picked to finish 5th and finished 3rd and then runner up in tournament, when he was at Pickett Co he was in the mix to win conference every year. Again win more than a few years and I can change my mind. 1-5 not a big difference. 

27 minutes ago, ref83 said:

I agree that a won lost record does make a good coach 

a lot of things make a good coach, getting kids to play hard and respect you, as a coach working to improve your self, make your program a good program (not just 2-3 years over a long period of time). Getting the most out of all you players, 

Tyreke was in the program 4 years those were not the only good years Clay has had. What would they have won if he wasn’t there who knows but Coach Edwards over the years has had to replace 3-5 players each year and is always in the running to win this league. As for what Bibb done this year took a team picked to finish 5th and finished 3rd and then runner up in tournament, when he was at Pickett Co he was in the mix to win conference every year. Again win more than a few years and I can change my mind. 1-5 not a big difference. 

I have said in every post that I will give you Edwards at Clay County, he is a good coach with good talent. All of his players play hard and are good young men so we will leave him out of this equation. In 2014 Monterey won 21 games which is good by any stretch of the imagination. So 4 out of the last 6 years Monterey has had good winning seasons. We will right that off as West being lucky. If my records are correct since 2014 Clarkrange has had 1 winning season, not making the Sub-State.  Since 2014 Jackson County has had 3 winning seasons not making the Sub-State.  4 out of the last 6 years Monterey has had 4 winning seasons made it to the Sub-State twice and the State Tournament and could possibly make another appearance but some how West isn't near the coach that Pyle or Thomas are. I am missing something here. I am an old man and did not go to school at any of these schools but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. You will have to help me with your way of thinking sometime but I believe I have proved my point.

21 minutes ago, basecoach said:

I have said in every post that I will give you Edwards at Clay County, he is a good coach with good talent. All of his players play hard and are good young men so we will leave him out of this equation. In 2014 Monterey won 21 games which is good by any stretch of the imagination. So 4 out of the last 6 years Monterey has had good winning seasons. We will right that off as West being lucky. If my records are correct since 2014 Clarkrange has had 1 winning season, not making the Sub-State.  Since 2014 Jackson County has had 3 winning seasons not making the Sub-State.  4 out of the last 6 years Monterey has had 4 winning seasons made it to the Sub-State twice and the State Tournament and could possibly make another appearance but some how West isn't near the coach that Pyle or Thomas are. I am missing something here. I am an old man and did not go to school at any of these schools but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. You will have to help me with your way of thinking sometime but I believe I have proved my point.

Did not say West was not near the coach that Pyle or Thomas are. Just saying how I think they rank. 2-5 could be any of them just how I rank them. But take winning out of the equation and then rank them. Pyle does more with less than anyone. Again just giving my thoughts 5 good coaches and 3 others. 1 is a no brainer and 2-5 not a lot of difference. 

Monterey in the last 3 years has won 1 District Championship, 2 Regional Championships and made it to the State Semifinals. 

Clay County is the next closest with 2 District Championships, 1 Regional Championship and a visit to the State Quarterfinals. 

No other team in the District or Region has come close in post season play.   

I respect all the coaches that invest their time into players and programs and don't want to down any of them.  But I have to say, players are wanting to go play for Coach West. 

25 minutes ago, inkpen said:

Monterey in the last 3 years has won 1 District Championship, 2 Regional Championships and made it to the State Semifinals. 

Clay County is the next closest with 2 District Championships, 1 Regional Championship and a visit to the State Quarterfinals. 

No other team in the District or Region has come close in post season play.   

I respect all the coaches that invest their time into players and programs and don't want to down any of them.  But I have to say, players are wanting to go play for Coach West. 

Actually the last 3 years

for Clay Co 

16-17 District and Region champs State Runner up

17-18 State tournament 

18-19 District and Region champs sub state

this is the last 3 years but this year which is still to be determined 

19-20 District Champ sub state rest to be determined

but yes know one else close to Clay and Monterey over this time. 

not downing any coaches just giving my opinion on how they rank. 

Edited by ref83
Left part out

2 hours ago, ref83 said:

Actually the last 3 years

for Clay Co 

16-17 District and Region champs State Runner up

17-18 State tournament 

18-19 District and Region champs sub state

this is the last 3 years but this year which is still to be determined 

19-20 District Champ sub state rest to be determined

but yes know one else close to Clay and Monterey over this time. 

not downing any coaches just giving my opinion on how they rank. 

Just curious who is the better team this season Monterey or Clay in your opinion?