TSSAA

TigerNation

Just now, RedStateReject said:

Take Lake County for instance. Rounds 1 & 2, they hosted Booker T Washington and MASE, both out of Memphis. BTW brought a grand total 2 fans (bus driver and head coach's wife apparently). MASE brought about 15 fans. With the TSSAA getting their 50% cut of ticket sales, not a lot of money was left to give either team. 

Exactly! Plus BTW made the exact same amount of money that LC made that night. I’m ok with paying visiting teams in the playoffs to recoup travel expenses, but the home team goes through a big headache of hosting and their reward is 25% of the gate and the $750 brought in from parking and concessions. Football, any high school sport, costs a lot of money. $750 will barely outfit one player. If TSSAA doesn’t let programs keep their profits, pretty soon kids will have to start paying to play. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tide21 said:

How does the tssaa make money besides the playoff ?  Do the schools have to pay to be a member or ? 

I'm sure schools have to pay an annual fee to be a member. How much money do they need to operate is the real question. Game officials are paid for by host teams. Teams provide everything for all games. So that means the money goes to.......catastrophic insurance? No, wait, also paid for by the schools. I'm sure TSSAA has some financial obligations, I'd just really like to know what they are since it warrants them taking so much money from schools. GHSAA, Georgia's governing body, takes less than 15% from playoff games and they host a round in the playoffs at the Georgia Dome.

13 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

They also charge 750 bucks a local media outlet to live stream a playoff game..... OUTRAGEOUS!!! 

That is not a 1 time fee that is each contest in the playoffs....

As a media person  who has studied the TSSAA media rules extensively, video streaming is considered live television by the TSSAA. For live video/tv, that is not an outrageous fee at all. I have had media experience  in different states  so I'm fully aware of what I am talking about . Let's also be honest, your parent company did not pay the fee out of their own pocket. Advertisers were found to cover that expense. Live video streaming hurts the gate at the game. You will say otherwise, but it is a fact.  The fee charged is paid to the host school, and is considered part of the gate receipts.  That fee covers about 93 fans who stayed home instead of watching the game in person. It does not however  cover  lost  Revenue to the school from concessions and other  revenue streams . From a fans piont of view, why pay 8 bucks a ticket for a first round blowout when you can watch it for free? I also believe that there is supposed to be a fee for each replay of a video broadcast. Somehow, that seems to be overlooked. One last thing, you could have done an audio stream of a playoff game and not been charged a fee at all as audio streaming is treated like radio with no fee. Just stating the facts!

Edited by ReitzFan

2 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

A very good explanation that is often overlooked by those complaining.

The complaint is still valid. The claim that teams get a "large portion of gate receipts" is false. TSSAA gets a large portion and the schools split what's left. I find it hard to believe that they are operating effectively if they are taking that much money from schools.