TSSAA

TigerNation

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

As a media person  who has studied the TSSAA media rules extensively, video streaming is considered live television by the TSSAA. For live video/tv, that is not an outrageous fee at all. I have had media experience  in different states  so I'm fully aware of what I am talking about . Let's also be honest, your parent company did not pay the fee out of their own pocket. Advertisers were found to cover that expense. Live video streaming hurts the gate at the game. You will say otherwise, but it is a fact.  The fee charged is paid to the host school, and is considered part of the gate receipts.  That fee covers about 93 fans who stayed home instead of watching the game in person. It does not however  cover  lost  Revenue to the school from concessions and other  revenue streams . From a fans piont of view, why pay 8 bucks a ticket for a first round blowout when you can watch it for free? I also believe that there is supposed to be a fee for each replay of a video broadcast. Somehow, that seems to be overlooked. One last thing, you could have done an audio stream of a playoff game and not been charged a fee at all as audio streaming is treated like radio with no fee. Just stating the facts!

So why would a school that wants to live stream the game be charged the money if they are getting it back? That doesn't make sense. 

27 minutes ago, Jobres76 said:

So why would a school that wants to live stream the game be charged the money if they are getting it back? That doesn't make sense. 

the schools are not charged the $750 fee for each game video stream during the playoffs. That fee is assessed by the TSSAA to the media Outlet broadcasting the game as they are the ones profiting  from the video streaming broadcast . They in turn pay the fee to the host School and it is turned in as part of the gate receipts for the playoff game. The broadcast Outlets are not paying the fee out of their own pocket as they are charging advertisers extra money to cover that fee plus the expenses of a salesperson to sell that fee as well. I would be happy to answer any other questions concerning broadcast media and playoff football games

2 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Live video streaming hurts the gate at the game. You will say otherwise, but it is a fact.

lots of handicapped/shutins, etc benefit from streaming. so describing it as hurting anythng is offensive. the TSSAA is a form of organized crime. we all know it. you are doing your duty here but deep down u cant defend them either. u are engaging in "fine print" discussion as if that exonerates the cosa nostra that is TSSAA 

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

The complaint is still valid. The claim that teams get a "large portion of gate receipts" is false. TSSAA gets a large portion and the schools split what's left. I find it hard to believe that they are operating effectively if they are taking that much money from schools.

i can print that i am pope on a website. it's meaningless. 

39 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

lots of handicapped/shutins, etc benefit from streaming. so describing it as hurting anythng is offensive. the TSSAA is a form of organized crime. we all know it. you are doing your duty here but deep down u cant defend them either. u are engaging in "fine print" discussion as if that exonerates the cosa nostra that is TSSAA 

While I agree that handicapped folks or other shut-in types May benefit from video streaming, the overwhelming vast majority of the people are able to spend the money to go see the game in person. It is not offencive to say that video streaming hurts attendance because that is a fact. Folks who can't make it to a game because of various physical limitations also have the benefit of radio broadcasts if they are available for a particular School. Many of the folks that you described do not have access to computers to view streaming broadcasts. My explanations on broadcast fees have nothing to do with supporting the TSSAA. I'm simply offering an explanation about broadcast rights

Edited by ReitzFan

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

the schools are not charged the $750 fee for each game video stream during the playoffs. That fee is assessed by the TSSAA to the media Outlet broadcasting the game as they are the ones profiting  from the video streaming broadcast . They in turn pay the fee to the host School and it is turned in as part of the gate receipts for the playoff game. The broadcast Outlets are not paying the fee out of their own pocket as they are charging advertisers extra money to cover that fee plus the expenses of a salesperson to sell that fee as well. I would be happy to answer any other questions concerning broadcast media and playoff football games

Cornersville was charged the fee to live stream on the high school facebook page. Some fine folks came together and raised the money to do it, but the fact of the matter is, it still had to be paid. Not trying to be argumentative, just stating the facts as I know them. This was last season if I remember correctly because the fine lady that does it said she wasn't going to fool with the rigamaro this year.

2 minutes ago, Jobres76 said:

Cornersville was charged the fee to live stream on the high school facebook page. Some fine folks came together and raised the money to do it, but the fact of the matter is, it still had to be paid. Not trying to be argumentative, just stating the facts as I know them. This was last season if I remember correctly because the fine lady that does it said she wasn't going to fool with the rigamaro this year.

Did a for profit broadcast Outlet produce the Facebook feed for the school? If so, that would fall under the category that should have been charged a fee.

9 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

please comment 

While I certainly do not agree with everything that the TSSAA does, I am limiting my input in this discussion to an explanation of the regulations for media broadcasts of playoff events. Everybody knows why you on a tangent against the TSSAA at this time. That pony is in the glue factory. Continuing to whip it will not change the outcome of the game.

https://tssaa.org/about-tssaa-finances

Where does the money go?

At the present time, nearly 30% of TSSAA's annual support is spent on insurance coverage on students, coaches and TSSAA staff. Between 30-40% of expenditures annually go toward services for schools and officials, conducting tournaments, awards and educational programs. This also includes legal fees and general operating expenses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ciphering through that between 60-70% of the total plus a portion of the "nearly 30%" goes to TSSAA staff? 

What exactly is nearly 30%? What insurance is covered for Students and coaches? What percentage of the "nearly 30%" is for TSSAA staff? Why do you group TSSAA staff in with students/ coaches? 

Someone needs to ask their administration for a copy of this:

Each September, administrators of TSSAA member schools receive a full copy of the financial statements for their review.