In Need of A New Transfer Rule?

Wrestlinggeek

I have seen that the Rankings page has been taken over by all of the transfer talk. I think it is time to make a new thread to discuss all of the transfer rules and what needs to be changed in order to make transferring in the state of TN appropriate. What needs to be in place in order for a kid to transfer and still be eligible? Is it fair that a kid can transfer and have to sit out if he transfer for a sport? Shouldn't it be about academics first and then sports next. If he transfers and then gets hurt then he most likely will transfer again if he is only enrolled for the sports aspect. In this case, people will be transferring 3 or 4 times a year with no penalty. 

I think the rule works as intended for the most part. It’s a deterrent which is what it was intended to be anyway. Now it wasn’t designed for wrestling so much as it was for football and basketball. If you have the means and you feel like your kid can get a quality education and perhaps better coaching or opportunities at another school then either sit out or make a legitimate move. There are options out there already. Now I do think if you transfer in either direction of public to private or private to public it should cost you a year. This having two sets of rules is ridiculous. One standard for everyone not this current double standard. It would force the private schools to commit to these kids before they are state champions. Two sides to ever position on this deal though. It’s already more complicated than it should be.

What everyone must understand is that the TSSAA spends over 90% of their time dealing with transfer issues.  Anyone with half a brain not only knows but has known kids & families that have circumvented the rules for their personal benefit.  Like I have stated on other threads:  If the TSSAA and the adults that are making and enforcing the rules had the best interest of the kids they would allow one free transfer without any questions being ask.  All other transfers would require a legitimate change of address.  The reason that I say one free transfer is due to the following:  the student begins high school attending inner city school Z and is living with the grandmother because the father is nowhere to be found and the mother is on drugs.  The mother gets clean and the child moves back in with her but the mothers address is on the other side of town and the student must attend school B.  While these instances may not take place in the rural areas this is the scene everyday in the inner city of Nashville and Memphis.  Sad yes, but its just the way of life.  More often than not these kids need athletics and other activities more than those activities need them.  If the kids stay engaged in sports the chances of them graduating increases significantly.  When they graduate they have a much better opportunity of getting a good job where they can support themselves and their families.  It truly helps to break the cycle.  This rule is for the kids not the adults that are worried about a sports championship.   

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1

So...if your school offers financial aid...why are you complaining??? Non issue!!! This is the exact reason we have D2...so if your child attends a D2 school you know that anything goes. Stop complaining and go get better kids!!  If you are unhappy with the boarding situation do something about it...build a dorm and recruit on!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PurpleWrestler said:

Well sorry, but that was my answer to your question

Well...... With your lack of definitively answering the question I'll assume that the "one school in particular" has either wronged  you or taken something from you personally? I only say this because that is the only logical reason you would comment in this manner. Correct  me if I am wrong but the personal decision for whatever reason for  a child to attend  said school or any like it is up the family of the  child. If the family is following the rules given by the governing body and school  it is not up for debate by any individual or community . If you or your child would like to attend that school please follow  the proper channels, pay  the money, and  do so. Last time I checked America is a free country and the choice is yours. I am positive you and your child will be welcomed by the "one school in particular" if you do decide this is the best option. 

Edited by jojopanono
  • Like 1

Purple wrestler beef is that Christian Brothers doesn’t have boarding and because Baylor does CBHS won’t win a state dual title while his son is there or for the foreseeable future.  Boarding is advantage and it does hamper the D2 programs that don’t offer it.

But, I could give a rats behind that Baylor is getting all the Minions travel kids in their wrestling program.    

The reason I’m a big advocate of 100% open transfer rules is because of Hamilton Heights High School in Chattanooga.  If you have never heard of them then google them. 
My guess is that most of you have never heard of this school.  Hamilton Heights has more current active D1 and NBA Basketball players than the rest of all the school in TN combined.  The reason most of you haven’t heard about Hamilton Heights is because they aren’t part of the TSSAA and they don’t compete in our state tournament.  The AAU Travel Basketball circuit developed first before the rest of the youth sports and it also was able to continue during the high school season.  As elite level kids started to running into issues with state organizations restricting their ability to compete and transfer these independent schools like Hamilton Heights formed.  This is starting to happen in all high school sports across the board.  There is now independent High school leagues for soccer, volleyball, basketball, etc abd it’s not going to be long before there is one for wrestling too. There is already a number of National independent programs out there lead by Blair and Sem and all of the National High School tournaments are now letting these programs in.  
If the state doesn’t go to open transfer rules then we are going to see a Hamiton Heights open up for wrestling in Chattanooga or Atlanta that will suck up all the top elite level kids soon. 

3 minutes ago, durdon said:

Purple wrestler beef is that Christian Brothers doesn’t have boarding and because Baylor does CBHS won’t win a state dual title while his son is there or for the foreseeable future.  Boarding is advantage and it does hamper the D2 programs that don’t offer it.

But, I could give a rats behind that Baylor is getting all the Minions travel kids in their wrestling program.    

The reason I’m a big advocate of 100% open transfer rules is because of Hamilton Heights High School in Chattanooga.  If you have never heard of them then google them. 
My guess is that most of you have never heard of this school.  Hamilton Heights has more current active D1 and NBA Basketball players than the rest of all the school in TN combined.  The reason most of you haven’t heard about Hamilton Heights is because they aren’t part of the TSSAA and they don’t compete in our state tournament.  The AAU Travel Basketball circuit developed first before the rest of the youth sports and it also was able to continue during the high school season.  As elite level kids started to running into issues with state organizations restricting their ability to compete and transfer these independent schools like Hamilton Heights formed.  This is starting to happen in all high school sports across the board.  There is now independent High school leagues for soccer, volleyball, basketball, etc abd it’s not going to be long before there is one for wrestling too. There is already a number of National independent programs out there lead by Blair and Sem and all of the National High School tournaments are now letting these programs in.  
If the state doesn’t go to open transfer rules then we are going to see a Hamiton Heights open up for wrestling in Chattanooga or Atlanta that will suck up all the top elite level kids soon. 

Scott,

You couldn't be more wrong. You see things from one side, and that's fine. I could care less about what Baylor does. And do you forget, CBHS DID win a title while my son was at the school? So that makes your statement totally false.

And I have ZERO issue with a school getting kids to come there, that's their business. The unfair practice that is in place, is by schools pulling already proven state champs to their school, and those kids not having to sit, while kids like Ivy have to sit out a year for going to a brand new school. This has NOTHING to do with my son, or our school. This is 100% about all the kids. Either open up the transfers, or don't. But the crap rule allowing 2 schools to do something, and then penalizing other kids is not right. I made my one and only statement on this when you stated Ivy and Roller had to sit out a year for going to a brand new school. THEN, I answered jojo on the question. I didn't start this thread, nor do I think the rules will ever change. Just stating that the way they are now, it is not fair to the kids. My son is where he will be until he graduates, so I don't need the rules changed for him. So, by assuming that was my issue, you just stepped on your own tongue. I have said this to your personally before, so I'm not sure why you don't know where I stand on this. 

Fair enough.. but none of that will matter soon.  Mark my words that within the next 5 years there will be an independent wrestling school in the state that will draw all the top kids if the rules aren’t changed soon. There will be a Hamilton Heights for wrestling or even maybe they will expand into wrestling. 

Edited by durdon