MTSU Blue Raiders Wrestling Team

CoachFreemanMTSU

Goodmorning wrestling family! Your MTSU Blue Raiders have had a quiet fall semester but we have been working hard getting better each week! Our spring semester we will be competing more and will be looking to get after it on the mat in search of some national titles! Our spring semester schedule is as follows:

*subject to change*

January:

18th - Volunteer Duals @UTK
19th - Tornado Women's Open @King College

Feburary: 

2nd - Cumberland Open @Cumberland University 
9th - Newberry Open @Newberry College
22nd - Emmanuel Women's Open @Emmanuel College
28th - Mid-Atlantic Conference Tournament
29th - Mid-Atlantic Conference Tournament 

March: 

12th - NCWA National Championships 
13th - NCWA National Championships
14th - NCWA National Championships

We are also doing our best to recruit as many wrestlers as possible in the hope to grow our team the sport at the collegiate level. We have both a men's and women's wrestling team in which we are trying to grow both programs. Our men's team competes in folkstyle in the NCWA, but do not let that discourage you from joining. We compete against every level of competition from NCAA D-1 to NAIA to NCWA. A lot of wrestlers compete in the NCWA in order to get more time to prepare for the NCAA level. When I competed here at MTSU back in 2015 the wrestler who I wrestled in the national finals went to the Navy Academy the next season and made the D-1 NCAA Championship Tournament as a freshman. The wrestler who won the weight class below us went on to compete for Maryland's D-1 program. 

As for our women's team, they too compete in the NCWA in folkstyle, but we compete in both folkstyle and freestyle throughout the year in order to maximize our competitions and get ready for the next level!

So whether you are looking to continue wrestling for fun, or looking for that stepping stone to the next level we would love you have as many wrestlers, both men and women, on our team as possible. If you know of anyone who might be interested or know of anyone you believe I should get in contact with and keep an eye out for this year or in the future please let me know. Hope to see you all around this season at tournaments! Good luck everyone this season! And do not forget, GO BLUE RAIDERS!

Jacob Freeman 

MTSU Wrestling Head Coach

[email protected] 

Also a little more incentive/information that might be interesting to some, you can compete in the NCWA right out of high school for up to 3 entire years and still be eligible for 4 years of NCAA wrestling! That is 7 years of college wrestling! If that piques your interest let me know! 

Jacob Freeman 

MTSU Wrestling Head Coach

mtsuwrestlingclub@gmail.com 

2 hours ago, WrestlingGod said:

As I understand it you had a few phone calls from division 1 schools after that finals appearance as well didn’t you Jacob? 

there’s lots of opportunities to move up!

WrestlingGod, that is correct! I had a few schools contact me after my finals match as well! Yes there is always chances to move up and I am more than happy to help anyone who wants to come compete at MTSU for whatever their reasons may be, reach whatever their goals are whether it is to simple continue their love for the sport of wrestling, have a stepping stone to a higher level of collegiate competition, or even a higher level such as international competitions. We are working hard to help all of our wrestlers reach whatever their goals are! We currently have a wrestler that's goal is to transfer to a D-1 school, more specifically Iowa, to wrestle. We will be videoing our matches and contacting their coaches along with other schools coaches after seeing where he is at after this season to try to get him to his goal. I will take any amount of kids and any amount of years any wrestler wishes to compete at MTSU as my main goal is to grow the sport in Tennessee as a whole and give the kids another opportunity to continue their careers in the sport they love!

• Upvote 1