Captain Victory's South Pittsburg Pirates 2020

Southtowner

The Pirates have a lot of holes to fill next year.  Here is my short list:

• Replacing the offensive line and how those young players mature will have a lot to do with how far the Pirates go next year.  If I am correct, Stone will be the only returning starter.  There is size and talent there but they are not battle tested.  If they come on like I think they will, the Pirates should have a good season and a deep playoff run.
  • The Pirates will need receivers to step up so the offense can be more balanced.  If you can run and pass, it makes it very hard to stack the box to stop the run like we always see in just about every game. 
  • Continue to develop the backup QB.  Sanders will be a 4 year starter this coming year, but the backup will be key in case of injury and also gaining experience for the following year.
  • Several holes will need to be filled on the defensive side of the ball as well:
    • 3 DBs
    • 2 Linebackers
    • 1-2 D-linemen
  • Play your best 11 on each side of the ball.  Utilize the athletes on the team.  The players utilized in the playoff game against Greenback gave both sides of the ball additional playmakers. 

1 hour ago, UncleDave said:

The Pirates have a lot of holes to fill next year.  Here is my short list:

• Replacing the offensive line and how those young players mature will have a lot to do with how far the Pirates go next year.  If I am correct, Stone will be the only returning starter.  There is size and talent there but they are not battle tested.  If they come on like I think they will, the Pirates should have a good season and a deep playoff run.
  • The Pirates will need receivers to step up so the offense can be more balanced.  If you can run and pass, it makes it very hard to stack the box to stop the run like we always see in just about every game. 
  • Continue to develop the backup QB.  Sanders will be a 4 year starter this coming year, but the backup will be key in case of injury and also gaining experience for the following year.
  • Several holes will need to be filled on the defensive side of the ball as well:
    • 3 DBs
    • 2 Linebackers
    • 1-2 D-linemen
  • Play your best 11 on each side of the ball.  Utilize the athletes on the team.  The players utilized in the playoff game against Greenback gave both sides of the ball additional playmakers. 

Excellent points. We also have a very good TE coming back.  I was impressed with him this season. 6”4 probably 200 was a good target. 

On 12/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, Pirate2003 said:

Excellent points. We also have a very good TE coming back.  I was impressed with him this season. 6”4 probably 200 was a good target. 

Old Pirate agrees, the TE is a huge asset to the 2020 Pirate team. The Cagle kid with size & speed could be the best TE in a very long time for the Pirates. The Stone kid will have to show top notch leadership to the incoming lineman. The QB Sanders has to muscle up and stay healthy with development of a couple of backup QBs.   The backfield will be the most experienced area with Frame, Kelly, Jackson, Mount, expect Cooper & Frame to see very important roles in various positions, both have good hands and speed. the kickers have get their game together. The kicking does have a real chance to the best in several years. Cagle, punter has tremendous potential, Walters has to make major progress on position placement of kickoffs. Powers has to develop more consistency & gain confidence, LB position will be lead by starter returnee JJ Beene will be the bell cow and he has to become the leader of that position. Additionally SP has several potential good players reportedly walking the halls that could add depth & while adding overall team strength. A lot of starters have to be able play both ways. Biggest challenge is developing linemen on both sides of the board! 

Edited by OLD PIRATE

• 2 weeks later...