Greenback 2020

Gbnation

17 hours ago, Imthayeti said:

Their coach is saying they will be as good as last year. But yes hard to replace Drew Jackson.

Drew is a great athlete I believe he started somewhere on the field  all 4 years then watching him in the rec if I’m not mistaken They had some great players just in the wrong playoffs bracket anyone that goes against the tornadoes is going to be on the losing end. 

On 6/12/2020 at 4:25 AM, GbMan said:

We do but we had to absolutely fight to get it. Loudon doesn’t like Greenback. 

I would think a new school for just few hundred students is a significant commitment from a county that is not rolling in the tax dollars. 

On 6/18/2020 at 3:53 PM, MLREB said:

I would think a new school for just few hundred students is a significant commitment from a county that is not rolling in the tax dollars. 

Our old school was condemned. The fire department had to stay at the school because of gas leaks. I promise I know Loudon would not have approved the school if not for this Plus we there were people that  fought  to get it. Your right we don’t have the tax money that Blount County has.  But it is what it is Loudon could care less for us. 

10 hours ago, GbMan said:

Our old school was condemned. The fire department had to stay at the school because of gas leaks. I promise I know Loudon would not have approved the school if not for this Plus we there were people that  fought  to get it. Your right we don’t have the tax money that Blount County has.  But it is what it is Loudon could care less for us. 

We understand all about that. When other areas in the county were getting new schools, we had fight just to get a new gym (to replace one that had been condemned multiple times). And even then it was a hassle even after the money had been approved.

It's not that these other schools weren't needed, because they were. But we just needed a gym. We were keeping the school, which was probably the oldest high school in the county. It was a fight.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

We understand all about that. When other areas in the county were getting new schools, we had fight just to get a new gym (to replace one that had been condemned multiple times). And even then it was a hassle even after the money had been approved.

It's not that these other schools weren't needed, because they were. But we just needed a gym. We were keeping the school, which was probably the oldest high school in the county. It was a fight.

A lot of people don’t understand but I know y’all do. We are just on our own on the other side of the river we do most of our business Blount or Monroe county but it is what it is. Y’all seen the away bleachers them things are old we have tried to get more but it’s like getting blood out of a turnip lol 

Coming from a fan of a school that travels extremely well, I hate your visitor bleachers.  On the flip side, I think your tradition of vehicles parked up to the 20 (actually 30 yard line) is an awesome idea and adds to the atmosphere.  I do feel Come playoff time that the TSSAA should put a stop to it, but that’s just my opinion.   That new school, along with having a winning tradition especially over the last 10 years, has really made a difference in the Greenback culture.  Congrats (except that one game each year that we play each other haha).  

Edited by PiRaTe._.MiKe
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 11:45 AM, The Drunken Sailor said:

It is the oldest high school building in the county.  Jasper and Whitwell got new schools, football fields and Gymnasiums long before SP's gymn built in 1949 and had the west wall pulling away ( on a 4 story building) for decades.  I want to say the main building of SPHS was constructed ~1963.  Come to think of it, SPHS has the oldest h.s. building in the old SVC.  That said, SPHS has been taken care of over the years compared to other schools thanks to people like Phil Beene, James S. Warren etc.

Edited by rlh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, jake said:

Congrats to #53....heard he received an offer from Georgia Tech yesterday.  Some good news amidst all the gloom and doom!!  I just hope there is a season so I can watch him play.

Thanks jake,yes still exciting things going on for Greenback.Not many teams in any class can say they have a Soph lineman with a SEC offer and and offer from the Ramblin Wreck!

• Like 1

Not sure on the total number of players this year (i'm sure its around 40 give or take a few) but i do know that 18-19 of them are freshman and these kids are ballers. And then a nice size group of 7th & 8th graders following behind them... The next few yrs should be fun watching these boys grow and become football players.