TN Coach's Poll for 7 December

ArtusCimber

1 hour ago, durdon said:

You lost to Cleveland 78-0 and you lost to small school Pigeon Forge 58-14. 

I’m sorry, but in what world do ‘not below average’ teams lose a dual 78-0 and get blown out by a team in a lower division than them?

Your school is a very big high school that has one if the strongest if not the strongest overall athletic programs in the state and one of the strongest football programs in the state with a solid youth wrestling presence. 

Why is that? . The only logical answer would be coaching but what do I know...

You wouldn't know as usual, while 99.9% of teams are hitting their early season stride a large chunk of our team is usually playing for gold trophies. Name one program that has that problem. It's okay though, now that they're back we'll be just fine.

Edited by JSamson7

3 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

You wouldn't know as usual, while 99.9% of teams are hitting their early season stride a large chunk of our team is usually playing for gold trophies. Name one program that has that problem. It's okay though, now that they're back we'll be just fine.

humm..  ok... let’s look at the final end of the year results which are the only results that actually matter.

Maryville Results 

DNP at state dual tournament finished 1-2

35th overall team finish at state individual 

No wrestlers made the podium

Did not even qualify for state dual tournament 

53rd overall team finish at individual state 

No wrestler made the podium

DNP at state dual tournament- finished 1-2 

44th overall team finish at individual state 

no wrestlers made the podium 

Did not even qualify for state Team duals 

57th overall team finish at individual state 

So by all three metric by which a wrestling program can be judged, the results show that your program has been year in year out not just below average but near the bottom of all programs statewide.  

So for you to say that your program is not below average is simply laughable.  

Edited by durdon
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, durdon said:

humm..  ok... let’s look at the final end of the year results which are the only results that actually matter.

Maryville Results 

DNP at state dual tournament finished 1-2

35th overall team finish at state individual 

No wrestlers made the podium

Did not even qualify for state dual tournament 

53rd overall team finish at individual state 

No wrestler made the podium

DNP at state dual tournament- finished 1-2 

44th overall team finish at individual state 

Did not even qualify for state Team duals 

57th overall team finish at individual state 

So by all three metric by which a wrestling program can be judged, the results show that your program has been year in year out not just below average but near the bottom of all programs statewide.  

So for you to say that your program is not below average is simply laughable.  

Pretty small sample size from a small mind. Yeah, I'll be the 1st to admit we've been down the last few years after the patriarch of the program retired which left a major hole. We had to restart everything since then (ES,MS,HS). Most "real" coaches who've been around the sport for awhile know that though and see where the program's currently headed, but I certainly wouldn't expect you to. So if that means by your standards we're below average, I'll take it.

10 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

Pretty small sample size from a small mind. Yeah, I'll be the 1st to admit we've been down the last few years after the patriarch of the program retired which left a major hole. We had to restart everything since then (ES,MS,HS). Most "real" coaches who've been around the sport for awhile know that though and see where the program's currently headed, but I certainly wouldn't expect you to. So if that means by your standards we're below average, I'll take it.

The biggest measure of success for es and ms programs is the success of the hs. It has been long enough since the patriarch left that we should be seeing results from the rebuild, if not on the team level at least on the individual level. A good ms "coach" would have kids on the hs  podium by now.

51 minutes ago, dontstopbelieving said:

The biggest measure of success for es and ms programs is the success of the hs. It has been long enough since the patriarch left that we should be seeing results from the rebuild, if not on the team level at least on the individual level. A good ms "coach" would have kids on the hs  podium by now.

Everyone's got an opinion I guess.

I don't have a dog in this fight at all, and haven't seen Maryville wrestle in several years.  But, any team that is qualifying for state duals is not "below average".  You can argue that they may only be there because they have an easy region, but they beat somebody else at the dance.