Who wins 13 and 14 AA?

RealisticFan45

6 minutes ago, AllVolHere said:

No base it on the whole season but postseason should be part of criteria too. Should an elite player on a 50/50 team who scores 30 a game get Miss BBall if they get put out in district but they had a 700 point season?  Imo no

To me the best team wins the championship which may or may not have the the best player in the state. For example Gibson County won the single A championship last year. To me that says they were the best team  in single A. But they did not have the best player in Single A. Ms. Basketball is a individual award based on her body of work not the teams. But I agree a deep run into the state helps there chances but should not determine winning award or not. 

1 hour ago, AllVolHere said:

No base it on the whole season but postseason should be part of criteria too. Should an elite player on a 50/50 team who scores 30 a game get Miss BBall if they get put out in district but they had a 700 point season?  Imo no

So you just want the high scorer on the best team to automatically get the award over the best player in the classification period? Come back with a legitimate point.

35 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

So you just want the high scorer on the best team to automatically get the award over the best player in the classification period? Come back with a legitimate point.

No I want to see the best player in that classification get it. I think all their stats should be considered not just points and strength of schedule should be considered too. I think the post season play is a legit factor to consider in that award. They have finalists picked before districts start. 

1 hour ago, AllVolHere said:

No I want to see the best player in that classification get it. I think all their stats should be considered not just points and strength of schedule should be considered too. I think the post season play is a legit factor to consider in that award. They have finalists picked before districts start. 

Playing devil's advocate, keeping the post season out of the equation ensures that all players are judged on the same platform. Consider two similar players on teams composed of vastly different talent other than themselves... one finishes fourth in district and out of region against the opposing #1 team vs. the other making it to state, where all the voters will see them. Boy's side of the bracket a few years back had Lexington, Bolivar, Liberty, SouthSide, and Chester County, all of which were within a few points of each other... probably all top 10 in AA, yet Chester Co. didn't even make the district tournament. 

Bottom line is, yes, it's a popularity contest... if you make it anything other than that, you will unleash a torrent of coaches running up scores to promote players and pad stats, selfish play from potential finalists trying to "get theirs", coaches scheduling weak non district teams, and causing unsportsmanlike, aggressive play in lopsided games.

7 hours ago, AllVolHere said:

No referring in general. I know KDubb is a good player and have seen her several games this season. She was doubled but the competition was horrible and outside of one other shooter she is the obvious GoTo on McNairy. IMO Harrison doesn’t belong in the conversation yet. Maybe in a couple years but need to see how she carries Westview when Yancy and Callins is gone. I agree that East TN is weak too but there is ALOT of good teams in Middle TN and alot of good players. I also agree Miss BBall should be about the whole body of work and that includes post season play.....if you make it past Substate you should be in the conversation.

If I’m not mistaken, Mr. Football is a regular season award (and if it is not, then it should be). 
Heisman is a regular season award.
We all know Lamar Jackson will win MVP in the NFL, which is a regular season award.

I do believe that Mr./Mrs. should be a regular season award. The way the criteria sets up on Mr./Mrs. Basketball award and who votes on it, will arguably never change. However, that’s just the way life is sometimes. 
Postseason play is different, can’t penalized a player because of a change of game plan, the pace of game is slower. Remember, districts are harder in some parts of the state than others. But there’s elimination games in the regional tournament. Let’s say Khyla sprains her ankle in the regional tournament, missed the remainder of the game; McNairy Central lose the game and is eliminated. Does that eliminate Khyla from Mrs. Basketball? Your eliminating basically 25-30 games worth of body of work because she failed to get her team to the region championship, which is one game. 

6 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

If I’m not mistaken, Mr. Football is a regular season award (and if it is not, then it should be). 
Heisman is a regular season award.
We all know Lamar Jackson will win MVP in the NFL, which is a regular season award.

I do believe that Mr./Mrs. should be a regular season award. The way the criteria sets up on Mr./Mrs. Basketball award and who votes on it, will arguably never change. However, that’s just the way life is sometimes. 
Postseason play is different, can’t penalized a player because of a change of game plan, the pace of game is slower. Remember, districts are harder in some parts of the state than others. But there’s elimination games in the regional tournament. Let’s say Khyla sprains her ankle in the regional tournament, missed the remainder of the game; McNairy Central lose the game and is eliminated. Does that eliminate Khyla from Mrs. Basketball? Your eliminating basically 25-30 games worth of body of work because she failed to get her team to the region championship, which is one game. 

So using the hypothetical you just laid out....say player A on another team has same stats but she doesn’t get hurt, played better competition, and wins her regional game to advance what determines the body of work....how much the player and coach sucked up to the reporter? Even in Mr Football you don't see  it being awarded to anyone that sat at home after first playoff game.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:43 PM, Tigersandcats said:

To me the best team wins the championship which may or may not have the the best player in the state. For example Gibson County won the single A championship last year. To me that says they were the best team  in single A. But they did not have the best player in Single A. Ms. Basketball is a individual award based on her body of work not the teams. But I agree a deep run into the state helps there chances but should not determine winning award or not. 

How does a deep run help? I thought the award was presented at the beginning of the tournament?

• 1 month later...

How does Coach Haskins not win Coach of the Year after going undefeated and one of the best teams in the state?

How is Jada Harrison Co-MVP when she’s clearly the best player in the district by far?

How does Westview only have 3 players on the All-District team after going undefeated in the regular season and winning the district tournament, but the second and third place teams have 4 players each?

What a joke...

9 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

How does Coach Haskins not win Coach of the Year after going undefeated and one of the best teams in the state?

How is Jada Harrison Co-MVP when she’s clearly the best player in the district by far?

How does Westview only have 3 players on the All-District team after going undefeated in the regular season and winning the district tournament, but the second and third place teams have 4 players each?

What a joke...

Who made the All-District team for WV? I would've had Harrison, Yancy, Callins, & Leyhue (the outside shooter). Harrison should've been MVP....not even that close. 

2 minutes ago, SuperFan14A said:

Who made the All-District team for WV? I would've had Harrison, Yancy, Callins, & Leyhue (the outside shooter). Harrison should've been MVP....not even that close. 

Harrison, Yancey, Callins.... Leyhue 100% for sure should’ve been on all-district. And yes on Harrison, not close...

Edited by GCPioneer

18 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

What a joke...

It has been that way for years! Westview is good year in and year out so I honestly think coaches get tired of it/jealous of it and stop voting for them. Haskins should/could probably will coach of the year every single year. I agree with you on that Harrison should have been outright MVP and not co and that Leyhue should have been on all district as well. You know like all individual awards...it’s a lot of politics involved