How does our State Champions stack up?

44 minutes ago, rlh said:

As already pointed out, I meant Hazelwood.  Nice try though.  Courtland had the losses because of their competition.  They were still the 1a state champs in Bama as was Hazelwood in 2a.  I was going from memory rather than googling it.  You should have picked up on Hazelwood being a perennial 2a power back then if you know half as much as you think you do.

Hazelwood was the ultimate powerhouse in the  80’s and 90’s. And they played against some much larger teams also. Even took on Brentwood Academy. Those Goode brothers was indeed good. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, rlh said:

As already pointed out, I meant Hazelwood.  Nice try though.  Courtland had the losses because of their competition.  They were still the 1a state champs in Bama as was Hazelwood in 2a.  I was going from memory rather than googling it.  You should have picked up on Hazelwood being a perennial 2a power back then if you know half as much as you think you do.

Hazelwood and Courtland are actually in the same town. Now it is one school. RA Hubbard. 

I just wish I knew as much as you, sir. One day...

Just now, BruceColetrain said:

Hazelwood and Courtland are actually in the same town. Now it is one school. RA Hubbard. 

I just wish I knew as much as you, sir. One day...

I know the merged.  They were very big in county rivals a lot like SP & Jasper still is.  They are also an example of why consolidation doesn't always mean better at athletics at higher classifications.

14 hours ago, rlh said:

Actually, we do.  Poor try that time.  Ga has far more schools in there system though. 

I am talking Elite vs Elite. 

Champions Clash:

1A: Lanett vs Lake Co (Lanett by as many as they want)

2A; Fyffe vs Peabody (Fyffe by at least 21)

3A: Peidmont vs Alcoa (Alcoa by 21)

4A; UMS Wright vs Elizabethton (This one is a toss up, Id like to see this one!)

5A; Clay Central vs Knox Central (Clay by 30)

6A: Oxford vs Maryville (Another good one, Edge to Oxford)

7A; Thompson vs Insert TN team here (Not pretty)

But remember the schools are so much smaller in AL.

Id also like to see Maryville try to compete in AL 7A. Sure theyd do ok. but put them in the region Hoover plays in. They wouldnt make the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, BruceColetrain said:

This will agree on. But you dont need 2 district schools 8 mils apart with 75 kids 9-12 each...

I thought they had more the 75 students but they still play 1a ball and picked up a couple of state runner up silver balls.

Edited by rlh

33 minutes ago, BruceColetrain said:

Champions Clash:

4A; UMS Wright vs Elizabethton (This one is a toss up, Id like to see this one!)

Id also like to see Maryville try to compete in AL 7A. Sure theyd do ok. but put them in the region Hoover plays in. They wouldnt make the playoffs.

I was talking perennial powers vs perennial powers as well.  Elite has a different meaning and wouldn't call Fyffe elite, lol.  Alabama has over 800 schools.  Given the population of the state,  Maryville isn't a 7A school though. Regardless, I doubt they would get beat every year.

29 minutes ago, BruceColetrain said:

Champions Clash:

Well since none of these teams will play I'll give you what calprep has the score's project at.

Lake Co 31- Lanett 26

Fyfe 27- Peabody 24

Alcoa 38 - Piedmont 13

Betsy 20 - UMS Wright 17

Knox Central 21 - Clay Central 20

Maryville 28 - Oxford 24

Thompson 31 - Marville 28 . or Thompson 35 - McCallie 28

Looks like Tn teams would be Favorites in 5 out of 7 classes :popcorneater: