Liberty looking for new coach

ReitzFan

I really hope this situation doesn't negatively affect Coach Taylor's coaching career. He truly is a good guy and a good coach, but was in a terrible situation at Liberty. I know they will find someone to take that job for a few years, but they may want to start looking within to fix the overall problem with that school and that program! :thumb:

15 hours ago, SuperBowlKid1489 said:

I really hope this situation doesn't negatively affect Coach Taylor's coaching career. He truly is a good guy and a good coach, but was in a terrible situation at Liberty. I know they will find someone to take that job for a few years, but they may want to start looking within to fix the overall problem with that school and that program! :thumb:

They need to, but it’s not the coaching it’s the athletic program support

I know that Coach Taylor will be fine. He’s going to be okay, and I would certainly take him as a WR coach if I have the opportunity to do so. Therefore, Coach Taylor can coach kids and still be coached at the same time. 
Problem is, Coach Taylor wasn’t ready to be a head coach. The programs that he was assistant at, was not remotely good (FW and Haywood). When Turner left (I think was in June) I’d imagine Liberty searched and was desperate for a coach, and leaned with Taylor. Liberty is also having a “culture” issue. I don’t think they have the fundraising or booster club compared to several programs. In addition, with 5 other schools in Jackson, it’s hard to have first quarter sponsors or “First Bank first down” as they do in Lexington. In addition, JMCSS isnt willing to cooperate with Liberty in facility updating. Remember, Liberty isn’t even 20 years old yet, so they’re lacking the alumni presence in Jackson compared to other schools. 
Instead of building a new football stadium with an 8-Lane track around it, they could just move bleachers back and add two more lanes to the track at Liberty, but it just makes too much sense.

Liberty also had a pretty stellar baseball and softball program, but both have gone down to talent, and overall commitment for both coaches and parents. It’s sad when they have to play softball at Muse or Pope Park, when there is a softball field at their school. You can’t blame Liberty for their downfall, it starts with JMCSS. Liberty’s facilities could have been compared to Dyer County, Independence, and even Summitt. But spending money and maintaining those facilities was the problem, JMCSS didn’t go “all in” into athletics, and still haven’t. So, this new coach will have talent, but that’s it. No support from school district, administration, and even boosters/parents. No legit field house, and you’re competing with South Side and North Side, which are now established with the coaches they have. I wish Liberty the best of luck. Prediction on coaches: Anthony Wallace or Scott Akin.

2 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I know that Coach Taylor will be fine. He’s going to be okay, and I would certainly take him as a WR coach if I have the opportunity to do so. Therefore, Coach Taylor can coach kids and still be coached at the same time. 
Problem is, Coach Taylor wasn’t ready to be a head coach. The programs that he was assistant at, was not remotely good (FW and Haywood). When Turner left (I think was in June) I’d imagine Liberty searched and was desperate for a coach, and leaned with Taylor. Liberty is also having a “culture” issue. I don’t think they have the fundraising or booster club compared to several programs. In addition, with 5 other schools in Jackson, it’s hard to have first quarter sponsors or “First Bank first down” as they do in Lexington. In addition, JMCSS isnt willing to cooperate with Liberty in facility updating. Remember, Liberty isn’t even 20 years old yet, so they’re lacking the alumni presence in Jackson compared to other schools. 
Instead of building a new football stadium with an 8-Lane track around it, they could just move bleachers back and add two more lanes to the track at Liberty, but it just makes too much sense.

Liberty also had a pretty stellar baseball and softball program, but both have gone down to talent, and overall commitment for both coaches and parents. It’s sad when they have to play softball at Muse or Pope Park, when there is a softball field at their school. You can’t blame Liberty for their downfall, it starts with JMCSS. Liberty’s facilities could have been compared to Dyer County, Independence, and even Summitt. But spending money and maintaining those facilities was the problem, JMCSS didn’t go “all in” into athletics, and still haven’t. So, this new coach will have talent, but that’s it. No support from school district, administration, and even boosters/parents. No legit field house, and you’re competing with South Side and North Side, which are now established with the coaches they have. I wish Liberty the best of luck. Prediction on coaches: Anthony Wallace or Scott Akin.

Your prediction is pretty good. :)

9 hours ago, KennyMayne said:

We played there in a middle school jamboree this season....truly sad how bad the facilities are in such a relatively new building... locker room/weight room was unbelievably bad.... field/track are in terrible shape....obvious that there is no commitment from above...

And obvious that Taylor wasn't a good choice. Yes, everything from the top down has created a very unconducive atmosphere for winning and moving the program forward, but maintaining the field and facilities available just require willpower and work ethic. Everything I've heard about Coach Taylor says that he's a "good guy", but that has no correlation to building up a program. If and when the incoming coach begins improving the facilities, maybe that will reignite the spark that Hookfin had burning there... he didn't have it any better there than the next man up if he works at it. 

In the Milan thread I made a comment about someone from the past returning to coach at Liberty.

Old news 

Wallace & Akin are both on staff and willing to coach.  It will be nice to no longer be the door mat of West TN football. 

Without being too Grinchy, I'll attempt to leave my thoughts on this situation...

Taylor never should have been hired

Taylor should have never been reinstated by Ray Washington

Taylor threw his entire coaching staff under the bus for his multitude of TSSAA &  JMCSS violations

Taylor was about the $$$ and not the kids, if you fell for that lie make it your final gullible experience in life

Taylor spent more time prepping Lane's football field for games than he did Liberty's

Taylor spent more time on these boards than breaking down game film

Taylor was a wide receiver, for anyone to say he coached a good defense is plain ignorance

Taylor stated in the Jackson Sun that the administration had "unrealistic expectations"...while cruising to a 5-24 record and asking for multiple raises 

Taylor insinuated that Liberty loses games because the kids are black & poor in his Jackson Sun interview

If I recall correctly, and I always do, Tyler Turner took a crew of JCM players to the state championship...A YEAR AFTER TAYLOR LED THEM TO AN 0-10 SEASON...

So yea, when we go 5-5 next year with the same poor black kids, I'm gonna celebrate the heck out of it

Good luck @ Westwood    

1 hour ago, dhstennis said:

In the Milan thread I made a comment about someone from the past returning to coach at Liberty.

Old news 

Wallace & Akin are both on staff and willing to coach.  It will be nice to no longer be the door mat of West TN football. 

Without being too Grinchy, I'll attempt to leave my thoughts on this situation...

Taylor threw his entire coaching staff under the bus for his multitude of TSSAA &  JMCSS violations

Taylor was about the $$$ and not the kids, if you fell for that lie make it your final gullible experience in life

Taylor spent more time prepping Lane's football field for games than he did Liberty's

Taylor was a wide receiver, for anyone to say he coached a good defense is plain ignorance

Taylor stated in the Jackson Sun that the administration had "unrealistic expectations"...while cruising to a 5-24 record and asking for multiple raises 

Taylor insinuated that Liberty loses games because the kids are black & poor in his Jackson Sun interview

If I recall correctly, and I always do, Tyler Turner took a crew of JCM players to the state championship...A YEAR AFTER TAYLOR LED THEM TO AN 0-10 SEASON...

So yea, when we go 5-5 next year with the same poor black kids, I'm gonna celebrate the heck out of it

Good luck @ Westwood    

Believe me when I say that I feel your pain because we've been there, and are recovering now. Best of luck, and maybe the administration will attempt to give the new staff a fair shot, if they're willing to work at getting better.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 1:06 AM, dhstennis said:

Old news 

Good luck @ Westwood    

I am not calling you a liar, but did he actually say they sucked because he had poor black kids on his roster??? I think I would have remembered that but maybe not... 

On 12/24/2019 at 1:06 AM, dhstennis said:

Old news 

Good luck @ Westwood    

That’s pretty rough words.....