Liberty looking for new coach

ReitzFan

16 hours ago, WesTNFootball said:

That’s pretty rough words.....

Yep, and they'd sound really bad save for one thing... if anyone knows the truth about the condition/history of Liberty's program it's this guy. If it seems that I'm "piling on", without some first hand knowledge, I'm not. Even when they had great (IMO) coaching, there was no support at all, but the staff all worked hard to build up the program and make the best of what was available. The only difference between the hard nosed and talented Liberty teams and the past few miserable seasons is the amount of pride in their job that the coaching staff had, and the amount of work that was put into it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Yep, and they'd sound really bad save for one thing... if anyone knows the truth about the condition/history of Liberty's program it's this guy. If it seems that I'm "piling on", without some first hand knowledge, I'm not. Even when they had great (IMO) coaching, there was no support at all, but the staff all worked hard to build up the program and make the best of what was available. The only difference between the hard nosed and talented Liberty teams and the past few miserable seasons is the amount of pride in their job that the coaching staff had, and the amount of work that was put into it.

This^^^^

On 12/30/2019 at 11:18 PM, 4thq said:

Anyone have some information about this job? They played for a State Title a few years ago didn't they? 

The school made an appearance 

every single player that was on that roster, 9-12, is now gone to graduation 

not a single returning player has any idea what it actually takes to impose their will on another squad...

they thought they worked hard bc they were “conditioned” to believe as such

it is a total rebuild with massive talent in the 9th & 10 grades currently 

On 12/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, ManOfMillions said:

I am not calling you a liar, but did he actually say they sucked because he had poor black kids on his roster??? I think I would have remembered that but maybe not... 

“‘Taylor was referencing the fact that the Jackson-Madison County School System redrew the school zones when Jackson Central-Merry closed in May 2016, and Liberty's student demographic changed.

"These kids come from tough circumstances," Taylor said. "A lot of people on the outside don't see what these kids deal with on a day-to-day basis. If you look at the areas these kids come from, they come from poverty."‘“

Now, he can say what he believes. He is a very intelligent man. A fantastic speaker, but I’ve heard this from him repeatedly.

Hookfin won with the same kids. The best team Hookfin ever had was the year JCM kids were allowed to transfer bc of how poorly JCM was performing academically.  Losing to eventual state champions Bo Wallace & Giles Co in the semis

Turner had 2 crops of kids. The first year was before the rezoning, 13-1, falling at CPA in the semis. Incredible defense and line-backing core.  The second year he had to rebuild after graduation with JCM transfers from an 0-10 team, and 1 absolute beast from Chester Co. He produces a completely new group of linebackers and a few Dline replacements on the way to a state championship appearance.  Yes Liberty was loaded on offense with senior talent the second year, but that is simply high school athletics.  

The only thing I am willing to concede to Taylor’s statement is, yes, rezoning ruined Liberty. It pushed virtually all the talent in Madison Co to North Side the next year.  When a dozen yellow buses drive down Christmasville road and turn on/off exit 85, passing Liberty, on their way to/from NS everyday, it just looks bad “rezoning” 

But everyone in JMCSS is poor, EVERYONE.  Those who aren’t poor end up in the private sector. There is plenty of talent at Liberty.  Really at every school in Jackson. The problem is the group of coaches that think they deserve to be around these kids.  It’s all about who you know, not how talented & dedicated you are.  These kids (specifically football players) will do absolutely everything they are told to do, like soldiers. With reckless abandon.  But when a Barney Fife type leader comes along, Liberty 2017-2019 is what you get.  These men have to be able to teach the game, not just play it. And that is where Liberty failed these kids. 

so let’s watch and see what a new/old staff is able to do?  Will they take some steps fwd?  Who knows! 
listen, in 1A football, you can have the best 1 or 2 guys on the field and win some games, but as the divisions get bigger that philosophy tends to become less reliable.  The talent pool grows.  Taylor may work wonders at Westwood, but his stuff just doesn’t work at the level Liberty is at currently

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dhstennis said:

“‘Taylor was referencing the fact that the Jackson-Madison County School System redrew the school zones when Jackson Central-Merry closed in May 2016, and Liberty's student demographic changed.

"These kids come from tough circumstances," Taylor said. "A lot of people on the outside don't see what these kids deal with on a day-to-day basis. If you look at the areas these kids come from, they come from poverty."‘“

Now, he can say what he believes. He is a very intelligent man. A fantastic speaker, but I’ve heard this from him repeatedly.

Hookfin won with the same kids. The best team Hookfin ever had was the year JCM kids were allowed to transfer bc of how poorly JCM was performing academically.  Losing to eventual state champions Bo Wallace & Giles Co in the semis

Turner had 2 crops of kids. The first year was before the rezoning, 13-1, falling at CPA in the semis. Incredible defense and line-backing core.  The second year he had to rebuild after graduation with JCM transfers from an 0-10 team, and 1 absolute beast from Chester Co. He produces a completely new group of linebackers and a few Dline replacements on the way to a state championship appearance.  Yes Liberty was loaded on offense with senior talent the second year, but that is simply high school athletics.  

The only thing I am willing to concede to Taylor’s statement is, yes, rezoning ruined Liberty. It pushed virtually all the talent in Madison Co to North Side the next year.  When a dozen yellow buses drive down Christmasville road and turn on/off exit 85, passing Liberty, on their way to/from NS everyday, it just looks bad “rezoning” 

But everyone in JMCSS is poor, EVERYONE.  Those who aren’t poor end up in the private sector. There is plenty of talent at Liberty.  Really at every school in Jackson. The problem is the group of coaches that think they deserve to be around these kids.  It’s all about who you know, not how talented & dedicated you are.  These kids (specifically football players) will do absolutely everything they are told to do, like soldiers. With reckless abandon.  But when a Barney Fife type leader comes along, Liberty 2017-2019 is what you get.  These men have to be able to teach the game, not just play it. And that is where Liberty failed these kids. 

so let’s watch and see what a new/old staff is able to do?  Will they take some steps fwd?  Who knows! 
listen, in 1A football, you can have the best 1 or 2 guys on the field and win some games, but as the divisions get bigger that philosophy tends to become less reliable.  The talent pool grows.  Taylor may work wonders at Westwood, but his stuff just doesn’t work at the level Liberty is at currently

This was an excellent post and spot on. I agree with everything you just said. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:31 AM, dhstennis said:

Absolutely agree with you in the fact that the "rezoning" did hurt Liberty compared to North Side and South Side. However, I do believe that all three schools pretty much have equal talent if their coaches can utilize that talent. No question that all three schools should be in the playoffs year in and year out.

1 hour ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Absolutely agree with you in the fact that the "rezoning" did hurt Liberty compared to North Side and South Side. However, I do believe that all three schools pretty much have equal talent if their coaches can utilize that talent. No question that all three schools should be in the playoffs year in and year out.

'Sigh'... try and keep up. That's not his opinion, it's the former coach's "quote" explaining for his lack of success. DHS posted it in response to another poster's challenge that the former coach made such statements, and IMO, it's complete hogwash.

• Upvote 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:31 AM, dhstennis said:

Well done sir. 

unfortunately, these kinds of problems are not just native to my hometown of Jackson. These problems are in a large portion of our cities. 

• Like 1