Upperman hammers Alcoa

UCSportsFan

13 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I wasn't talking about Alcoa vs Betsy or Central.  Yes Alcoa has a Dominate D and have proved that all year long.  Betsy and Central both have great D's (Not on Alcoa's Level) but feel PC would have had trouble against both of those D's as well.  The game is won on the line of scrimmage and I feel like Betsy and Central would have controlled the line of scrimmage against PC also.

I think PC’s schedule and record speaks for itself. However, I’m sure they have never won an IFL game either. Thanks for the Alcoa props anyway Swipes. Can’t wait for next season.:thumb:

37 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

Alcoa had a bunch to do with the PC team that showed up to Cookeville. :thumb: I don’t think the games would have been much different had Alcoa played Betsy or Central. Other than Rankin would have probably kept his offensive foot on the gas for 4 quarters rather than 2.....B)

William Blount made Betsy play a full game. I believe there was a 14 point swing with a pick 6 late in the WB/Betsy game. I've got a little cousin on the Betsy team, but Alcoa rolls them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Yes debatable. But that's the fun of forums. lol.

PC beat MBA, Indy and Cane Ridge. They beat all three of those teams by a larger margin than they beat Covington. Loudon was a pretty good team as well. Central lost to Gibbs and South Doyle. Elizabethon is a good team, but I don't think its a coincidence they won their first championship since 1938 after they bumped up to 4A.

Central has been around for about 100 years, had never won a state title now has two in 5A in the recently created 6 class system. Farragut won its only championship in 5A a couple of years ago and now is back in 6A were they belong and will likely not see another title for a long time. I think Knox West also won their first title in their school's long history in in 5A in the 6 class system. These are not coincidences.

I think the evidence is strong that PC and Covington would both have won in 4A this year. To be fair, I do think Greenville would have won 5A as well as 4A the last two years.

I know who PC had beat this past year and not trying to take that away from them for that.  That same Summit Team that Central Beat 30-7 also beat Independence 34-15 were PC beat them 27-6.  If we are going to look at Margins that Same Independence team beat Blackman 49-7 were Alcoa beat Blackman 23-14 (Which no one thinks Independence is better than Alcoa because of that)

Yes Central did lose to Gibbs and SD but also revenged those losses and had their D playing the best they have all year in the play-offs when it mattered.

It's definitely not a coincidence Betsy won their first title since moving up to 4a when Alcoa is standing at your doorstep to get out of the east. (Betsy has been the only public school to give Alcoa a game in 3a and this years Betsy team was better than that 16 team that went into Alcoa and lost 17-14).  The same could be said about a lot of team since the TSSAA went to 6 Classifications.  Greeneville, West, Farragut, and Central all have won state title since then because they didn't have the BIG RED MACHINE in your way when they were in 4a in a 5 class system.

I don't think you have to good evidence that PC or Covington would have won 4a or 5a at all this year.  You had PC squeeking by a 6-6 Giles Co in the Quarters also

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

I think PC’s schedule and record speaks for itself. However, I’m sure they have never won an IFL game either. Thanks for the Alcoa props anyway Swipes. Can’t wait for next season.:thumb:

Definitely not trying to take anything away from PC's record or Schedule.  They also had some close games Like Giles who ended up 6-7 in the quarter finals.  It's not about how you start its how you finish and taking anything away from a 15-0 Betsy team is pretty harsh.  You should know Betsy isn't a bad team and the last public 3a school to even give Alcoa a game!  Good luck next season but you wont need it with what the Tornadoes have coming back! :mrgreen: 

6 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I know who PC had beat this past year and not trying to take that away from them for that.  That same Summit Team that Central Beat 30-7 also beat Independence 34-15 were PC beat them 27-6.  If we are going to look at Margins that Same Independence team beat Blackman 49-7 were Alcoa beat Blackman 23-14 (Which no one thinks Independence is better than Alcoa because of that)

Yes Central did lose to Gibbs and SD but also revenged those losses and had their D playing the best they have all year in the play-offs when it mattered.

It's definitely not a coincidence Betsy won their first title since moving up to 4a when Alcoa is standing at your doorstep to get out of the east. (Betsy has been the only public school to give Alcoa a game in 3a and this years Betsy team was better than that 16 team that went into Alcoa and lost 17-14).  The same could be said about a lot of team since the TSSAA went to 6 Classifications.  Greeneville, West, Farragut, and Central all have won state title since then because they didn't have the BIG RED MACHINE in your way when they were in 4a in a 5 class system.

I don't think you have to good evidence that PC or Covington would have won 4a or 5a at all this year.  You had PC squeeking by a 6-6 Giles Co in the Quarters also

Respect your opinion. Are you really saying that Eliz and Central were better than MBA this year? Its all really subjective at this point. Hoping TSSAA goes back to at least 5 classes, I would prefer 4, so a lot of these playoff matches can happen

A lot of these debates could be settled at least somewhat if local schools would schedule us or Maryville in the non region games. We could then have some comparison .

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Definitely not trying to take anything away from PC's record or Schedule.  They also had some close games Like Giles who ended up 6-7 in the quarter finals.  It's not about how you start its how you finish and taking anything away from a 15-0 Betsy team is pretty harsh.  You should know Betsy isn't a bad team and the last public 3a school to even give Alcoa a game!  Good luck next season but you wont need it with what the Tornadoes have coming back! :mrgreen: 

Agreed, but they won the game. That’s a huge bonus. Those 2 Central losses were awful! To put it mildly. I commend Betsy for moving to 4A. Was a very very smart move. After that game I had a couple discussions with Betsy fans after overhearing them stating that they wanted Alcoa. Lol! That’s how it always is. When you ain’t playing them, you want them. When you are playing them and losing, you want to move to another classification or you want Alcoa to move to the NFL. Lol! It’s all good. 

Next year should be another fun one. Good luck to the devils. Was a bit odd not to see y’all in Cookeville this year. 

BTW, Coach Witt had the opportunity to play Alcoa for 2 years. Would have been nice had he answered the phone. :-o

Edited by Throwdeslant
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Throwdeslant said:

Agreed, but they won the game. That’s a huge bonus. Those 2 Central losses were awful! To put it mildly. I commend Betsy for moving to 4A. Was a very very smart move. After that game I had a couple discussions with Betsy fans after overhearing them staring that they wanted Alcoa. Lol! That’s how it always is. When you ain’t playing them, you want them. When you are playing them and losing, you want to move to another classification or you want Alcoa to move to the NFL. Lol! It’s all good

Next year should be another fun one. Good luck to the devils. Was a bit odd not to see y’all in Cookeville this year. 

THIS! Right out of the Fulton Playbook. Get hammered by Alcoa for 4 straight years, don't schedule Tornadoes in 13 and 14 and go undefeated. Falcons screaming we want Maryville!   Falcons play Maryville next five years and get hammered every game.

"Sniff, but..but.. we would have beat Alcoa and Maryville in 2014. sniff"

Stay out of Blount County Fulton. Its Dangerous for delusional falcons over here.

1 minute ago, 32hammer said:

THIS! Right out of the Fulton Playbook. Get hammered by Alcoa for 4 straight years, don't schedule Tornadoes in 13 and 14 and go undefeated. Falcons screaming we want Maryville!   Falcons play Maryville next five years and get hammered every game.

"Sniff, but..but.. we would have beat Alcoa and Maryville in 2014. sniff"

Stay out of Blount County Fulton. Its Dangerous for delusional falcons over here.

Fulton? Never heard of them...:lol: Would have loved to see Rankin clean Jody Wright’s clock as he’s handing him his award. Would have been PRICELESS....

Edited by Throwdeslant
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Respect your opinion. Are you really saying that Eliz and Central were better than MBA this year? Its all really subjective at this point. Hoping TSSAA goes back to at least 5 classes, I would prefer 4, so a lot of these playoff matches can happen

A lot of these debates could be settled at least somewhat if local schools would schedule us or Maryville in the non region games. We could then have some comparison .

I'm saying if you look at the body of work that Betsy and Central have a great argument to say they were better than MBA. (Does it mean they would beat MBA on the field could be yes could be no).  MBA also had a loss to Brentwood the week before PC beat them.  That same Brentwood team lost to Henry Co who lost to Haywood (didn't make it to the 4a state championship game) and Dyer Co the team Summit beat to make it to Cookeville just for Central to beat them 30-7.  It's all about who shows up when it's time to put the cleats on.  Do you believe PC would have beaten MBA if they played week 15 this year instead of week 2?

Edited by Swipes

51 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

William Blount made Betsy play a full game. I believe there was a 14 point swing with a pick 6 late in the WB/Betsy game. I've got a little cousin on the Betsy team, but Alcoa rolls them.

All of this is subjective as can be.  Did Betsy play their best game against WB?  Not even close.  Alcoa didn't even Roll DB this past year and Betsy beat that same Science Hill team that DB lost to the week before playing Alcoa.  Do I think Alcoa beats Betsy? yes. Do i think they get steam rolled No and I've seen both teams play in person.  I see it as a 28-14 type of game in favor of the Tornadoes 

26 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Do you believe PC would have beaten MBA if they played week 15 this year instead of week 2? 

PC won the last game, thy get bragging rights and the assumption of the next win until proven other wise on the field. Eliz and Central could have helped their case with some stronger non region opponents. 4-6 clev, 3-8 Fulton (1 point win) and 4-7 WB.

Alcoa would have liked to played them during the season instead of traveling to Kingsport and Murfressboro.