Upperman hammers Alcoa

UCSportsFan

28 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

PC won the last game, thy get bragging rights and the assumption of the next win until proven other wise on the field. Eliz and Central could have helped their case with some stronger non region opponents. 4-6 clev, 3-8 Fulton (1 point win) and 4-7 WB.

Alcoa would have liked to played them during the season instead of traveling to Kingsport and Murfressboro.

You still didn't answer my question.....Does that mean Brentwood was a better team than MBA since MBA lost to them too?  Does that make Henry County better than Brentwood but worse than Haywood or Dyer Co since Henry Co lost to them?  

This isn't a who is Alcoa better than argument.  Everyone is in agreement that Alcoa was better than Central and Betsy and everyone else not named Maryville this past year.  The argument was that you believed 2-3 teams in 3a would have won the 4a and 5a state championships and makes it seems like a Jab at both Betsy and Central who both dominated their championship games against teams that 1. beat a team just as bad as PC did in the regular season (Independence) 2. MBA holding losses to both PC and Brentwood (A team Henry County beat but lost to the team Summit put out and also Haywood who Springfield put out).  Both Betsy and Central played great Football when it mattered and peaked at the right time.

I agree with you Alcoa would have liked to played Central since it closer but Cow town is not closer than DB for Alcoa......

Edited by Swipes
  • Upvote 1

Brentwood won that game, true.  BW has bragging rights, no doubt.  But in my opinion, MBA is a better team than Central or Betsy and PC would have beaten them both.

Its all opinion at this point and time but PC's resume is much better than either Betsy or Central. PC won against MBA, Indy and Cain Ridge.  Central lost to SD, Gibbs and beat a 3-8 Fulton team by one point. So the Central argument is done unless someone just wants to be argumentative for the sake of false pride

Betsy has a better resume than central.

Betsy beat SH( Solid Win) and beat Greeneville twice ( not easy to do). But PC's resume is better MBA played in big private school state championship this year- indy ( Solid 6A team), Cane Ridge ( 6A state runner up 2 yrs ago). Giles(  4A state runner up a few years ago) and Covington (3A- state runner up last two years)

Other than Greeneville, Betsy didn't play a team that has even been to a state championship game in the last 10 years.

PC clearly has the better resume.

1 hour ago, 32hammer said:

Brentwood won that game, true.  BW has bragging rights, no doubt.  But in my opinion, MBA is a better team than Central or Betsy and PC would have beaten them both.

Its all opinion at this point and time but PC's resume is much better than either Betsy or Central. PC won against MBA, Indy and Cain Ridge.  Central lost to SD, Gibbs and beat a 3-8 Fulton team by one point. So the Central argument is done unless someone just wants to be argumentative for the sake of false pride

Betsy beat SH( Solid Win) and beat Greeneville twice ( not easy to do). But PC's resume is better MBA played in big private school state championship this year- indy ( Solid 6A team), Cane Ridge ( 6A state runner up 2 yrs ago). Giles(  4A state runner up a few years ago) and Covington (3A- state runner up last two years)

Other than Greeneville, Betsy didn't play a team that has even been to a state championship game in the last 10 years.

You are missing the point and still never answered my question once again because I believe we all know the answer.  You keep bringing up MBA losing to Brentwood and PC. (Yes this is true and no one is arguing that)  You wont acknowledge that the same Brentwood team was beaten by Henry Co who held losses to 4a Haywood the team Springfield beat to make it to the Betsy Slaughter or The loss to Dyer County who Summit beat the following week before Central slaughtered them.  So MBA is better than Central or Betsy but not better than Brentwood or PC. Henry Co is better than Brentwood but not Central.   We are talking about week 15 for a state championship not week 1-10. 

PC laid an Egg against Alcoa and Alcoa could have made it a lot worse if Rankin wanted to.  They were held to total of 105 yards (Heck AE even had more than that offensively against Alcoa). The PC team i saw play Alcoa would not have given Betsy or Central a game in week 15. A better resume at the beginning of the year yes but coming home with a state championship is all the resume I need and you don't beat bad teams in the last 3 games of the year.  Giles was 6-6 this year and lost by a TD to PC.  I could see your argument if Indy and Cane Ridge had made it past the 2nd round this year.  By your logic then Covington would be able to beat MBA also since PC beat MBA by more than they did Covington.  The same way Alcoa dominated the line of scrimmage against PC would be the same way Betsy and Central would have like both teams did through out the entire playoffs.

Edited by Swipes
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Swipes said:

You are missing the point and still never answered my question once again because I believe we all know the answer.  You keep bringing up MBA losing to Brentwood and PC. (Yes this is true and no one is arguing that)  You wont acknowledge that the same Brentwood team was beaten by Henry Co who held losses to 4a Haywood the team Springfield beat to make it to the Betsy Slaughter or The loss to Dyer County who Summit beat the following week before Central slaughtered them.  So MBA is better than Central or Betsy but not better than Brentwood or PC. Henry Co is better than Brentwood but not Central.   We are talking about week 15 for a state championship not week 1-10. 

PC laid an Egg against Alcoa and Alcoa could have made it a lot worse if Rankin wanted to.  They were held to total of 105 yards (Heck AE even had more than that offensively against Alcoa). The PC team i saw play Alcoa would not have given Betsy or Central a game in week 15. A better resume at the beginning of the year yes but coming home with a state championship is all the resume I need and you don't beat bad teams in the last 3 games of the year.  Giles was 6-6 this year and lost by a TD to PC.  I could see your argument if Indy and Cane Ridge had made it past the 2nd round this year.  By your logic then Covington would be able to beat MBA also since PC beat MBA by more than they did Covington.  The same way Alcoa dominated the line of scrimmage against PC would be the same way Betsy and Central would have like both teams did through out the entire playoffs.

We can agree to disagree. You've made your points. I've made mine. neither of us will change the others mind. Its always fun to discuss this stuff on the T. Neither Central or betsy would have beaten PC in the state title game. Alcoa peaked at the end of the year this year, no doubt. So to your question, if you want to say the end of the year would PC or MBA beat Central or Betsy , the answer is yes. Again its all subjective, but that's my opinion and I won't change it because of a few anomalies across several teams schedules. Look at all the teams resumes involved as a whole .

PC and MBA have both won championships before the 9 classifications watered everything down. That's why these teams are winning for the first time ever, the classification is weak in comparison to the past.

Betsy got their first title since 1938 playing one good team, Central got theirs by losing to two ok teams, barely beating a bad team. PC stepped up and played quality non region teams and won them all. Betsy went to 4A to avoid Alcoa.  PC for the win

22 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Didn't mean to hijack this thread. Sorry UCSportsfan.

So, now that we are back to the original topic......is it really true that Alcoa did not have their entire roster due to some prominent footballers still working to get healthy? If so, that makes their win at AE the night before all the more impressive. Most figured once they got a competent head man that the sky would be the limit over there.

2 hours ago, 32hammer said:

We can agree to disagree. You've made your points. I've made mine. neither of us will change the others mind. Its always fun to discuss this stuff on the T. Neither Central or betsy would have beaten PC in the state title game. Alcoa peaked at the end of the year this year, no doubt. So to your question, if you want to say the end of the year would PC or MBA beat Central or Betsy , the answer is yes. Again its all subjective, but that's my opinion and I won't change it because of a few anomalies across several teams schedules. Look at all the teams resumes involved as a whole .

PC and MBA have both won championships before the 9 classifications watered everything down. That's why these teams are winning for the first time ever, the classification is weak in comparison to the past.

Betsy got their first title since 1938 playing one good team, Central got theirs by losing to two ok teams, barely beating a bad team. PC stepped up and played quality non region teams and won them all. Betsy went to 4A to avoid Alcoa.  PC for the win

We can agree to disagree but you still didn't answer my question I first asked you was at the end of the season was PC better than MBA?  Was Brentwood better than MBA?  I believe PC peaked to early by beating those teams you keep mentioning but also struggled with a 6-6 Giles County team in the Quarters and a Covington team with 2 losses one coming to another 6-6 team.  When it comes to the playoffs every team is 0-0 and thats how Betsy and Central approached the post season.  Livingston Academy would be a great example of that in 2005 winning it all in 3a after going 5-5 in the regular season. The PC team that showed up in Cookeville I don't see beating Central and Betsy if they played like they did against Alcoa for the fact they would have lost the line of scrimmage battle against a well coached team.  Yes PC had a great regular season resume but what have you done for me in the playoffs (I wasn't as impressed with PC in the playoffs as the regular season) is all that matters when it is said and done

I'm not arguing that since the TSSAA went to 6 classifications it's more water down but you also can argue that PC hasn't won a state championship in this watered down system also.  Including getting Man handled in the 4a state championship game in 2015 losing 48-8 to Catholic or making it to the Championship game in 3a for the first time.

Good Luck to Alcoa next year but I don't see you all needing it!:mrgreen:

Edited by Swipes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TradgicallyHip said:

So, now that we are back to the original topic......is it really true that Alcoa did not have their entire roster due to some prominent footballers still working to get healthy? If so, that makes their win at AE the night before all the more impressive. Most figured once they got a competent head man that the sky would be the limit over there.

Yea. several football players, including at least two starters, did not play in the game

5 hours ago, 32hammer said:

I love the debate you guys are having on this thread. Good football talk. Just to play devils advocate hammer. Mike Tyson had a much better resume than Buster Douglas and we see how that worked out. Thoughts??