Upperman hammers Alcoa

UCSportsFan

12 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I love the debate you guys are having on this thread. Good football talk. Just to play devils advocate hammer. Mike Tyson had a much better resume than Buster Douglas and we see how that worked out. Thoughts??

I was kind of moving away from the discussion since we seemed to have hijacked the original thread. But you make a good point, similar to 2007 Patriots vs Giants, you have to win it on the field or in the ring. That's why you actually play the games.

Since the teams didn't meet on the field, we are forced to discuss hypothetical match ups. As in any IFL match up, there is no 100% true answer. It was a good discussion, probably the wrong thread to do it on though.

Going back to the Tyson vs Douglas analogy, I took several things for that upset to happen. Cus died, Tyson's trainers/training changed, the disputed long count in the 8th, etc. Upsets happen and that's part of the fun of sports. But in championship matches with both in their prime, if you had to bet your familys home on who would win more would you bet on Tyson or Douglas?

17 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

I was kind of moving away from the discussion since we seemed to have hijacked the original thread. But you make a good point, similar to 2007 Patriots vs Giants, you have to win it on the field or in the ring. That's why you actually play the games.

Since the teams didn't meet on the field, we are forced to discuss hypothetical match ups. As in any IFL match up, there is no 100% true answer. It was a good discussion, probably the wrong thread to do it on though.

Going back to the Tyson vs Douglas analogy, I took several things for that upset to happen. Cus died, Tyson's trainers/training changed, the disputed long count in the 8th, etc. Upsets happen and that's part of the fun of sports. But in championship matches with both in their prime, if you had to bet your familys home on who would win more would you bet on Tyson or Douglas?

Good points. I would bet on Tyson every single time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 32hammer said:

Douglas was better than Tyson since he won their only fight in the ring at least that would be the logic sorta like how PC was better than MBA by your logic earlier :wink: "Douglas won the last Fight, He get bragging rights and the assumption of the next win until proven other wise in the Ring" (you set me up for that one).  All in good fun and I don't believe that Douglas was a better boxer than Tyson

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Douglas was better than Tyson since he won their only fight in the ring at least that would be the logic sorta like how PC was better than MBA by your logic earlier :wink: "Douglas won the last Fight, He get bragging rights and the assumption of the next win until proven other wise in the Ring" (you set me up for that one).  All in good fun and I don't believe that Douglas was a better boxer than Tyson

lol. no worries. Douglas was the champ until he lost though. Like I said ,fun to discuss.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:45 AM, Swipes said:

All of this is subjective as can be.  Did Betsy play their best game against WB?  Not even close.  Alcoa didn't even Roll DB this past year and Betsy beat that same Science Hill team that DB lost to the week before playing Alcoa.  Do I think Alcoa beats Betsy? yes. Do i think they get steam rolled No and I've seen both teams play in person.  I see it as a 28-14 type of game in favor of the Tornadoes 

Alcoa was very vanilla vs DB. Rankin chose to run right at DB’s strength. Should have thrown the ball all over the field. DB didn’t have the personnel to cover any of Alcoa’s receivers. Maybe 28-0/3/6, not 28-14. No way the Alcoa D gives up 14 to Betsy, unless Alcoa has 56/63 points on the board. C’mon Swipes....

Btw- We could have settled this on the field had coach Wit answered the phone....:thumb:

Edited by Throwdeslant

17 hours ago, Throwdeslant said:

Alcoa was very vanilla vs DB. Rankin chose to run right at DB’s strength. Should have thrown the ball all over the field. DB didn’t have the personnel to cover any of Alcoa’s receivers. Maybe 28-0/3/6, not 28-14. No way the Alcoa D gives up 14 to Betsy, unless Alcoa has 56/63 points on the board. C’mon Swipes....

Btw- We could have settled this on the field had coach Wit answered the phone....:thumb:

Truth. Alcoa wanted Greeneville or Besty on the schedule!