Possible Ranked Matchups this weekend

WrestlingGod

Quick question does anybody know if Howard from Mccallie and Skylar Coffey (might be spelled wrong) have ever wrestled or maybe have a chance at any point this season?

They have not and I doubt they will see each other this year. The Father Ryan tournament might be the only chance but I am not sure either will be in attendance.

They have never wrestled, or if they did then Howard was too young for it to have been a real gauge.  Skylar will be at F.R. Tourney again.  McCallie hasn't come last couple years though.  I know it's a message board and it's fun to talk about "what-ifs," but it's not slated to happen and Skylar will graduate this year.  My opinion would be Skylar controlling everything, and I attribute it mostly to age/physical maturity.  I wish Skylar from this season and Kramer from last season could have battled.  Skylar was lighter this spring though, so they each got their easy paths to the state titles @ 220 and 285..  Maybe it would be tight in Skylar from this season and Howard when he's a Jr or Senior.... it's not even really a debate though because they won't see each other unless McCallie makes a drive to GP West tourney in January like Baylor did last year. :)

Howard looks good and has creds with NHSCA... against other freshmen. He's elite for his age and for the overwhelming majority of the country.  He's still two years younger and frankly outmatched when it comes to physicality and pure athletic ability.  You could have seen a comparison if Howard had gone to Super32, but he didn't.  Skylar did and in only his second national tourney he placed 4th (his previous was 5th earlier in the year at NHSCA).  His losses at Super32... to #1 nationally ranked HWT (Catka who's also a Sr) in a 0-8 MD.  The was the closest anyone came to Catka, except when he beat the #2 nationally ranked kid 8-2 in the finals.  Skylar's other loss was in 3rd place match when he got caught by a big boy from PA.  His wins though were crazy impressive against a slew of state champs including a pin vs. Ohio state champ and then beating PA state champ, prior year Super32 finalist and #5 nationally ranked kid from PA.  These are the best kids in ALL grades across the entire country....  Skylar is one of those elite wrestlers.  Based upon what I've seen of Howard, he is one as well that is still maturing.  I'd take Skylar 99 out of 100 times at this specific point in time though (with the one loss being a DQ because Refs tend to overreact to 250lbs+ flying through the air :)   All kidding aside, I love that we have two kids this talented in the state of TN.  I hope the talent levels continue to rise and it raises the profile of our collective wrestling and encourages other younger kids to be the next "Coffey" and next "Howard!"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since McCallie is at Beast of the East, we will see tomorrow how well Howard matches up with the best in the country regardless of age.   Howard pinned all 3 of his kids today in less than a total of 3 minutes to reach the Quarters tomorrow. In the morning, he opens with #17 ranked Flo kid, if he wins that then he will mostly have #15 ranked kid and if he wins that then he will have most certainly have Hunter Catka the number 1 kid in the country.  Howard may go 0-2 tomorrow or he may make the finals.  (Ain’t nobody beating Catka, as he best hwt I’ve ever seen) But tomorrow will give us a real indicator as to how well the 15 year old Howard matches up with the top 18 and 19 year old kids in the country including Coffey. 

Edited by durdon

Howard finished up 4th.  His bracket had 3 of Flo’s top 20 kids.  Howard lost to number 17 3-1 and number 15 5-2 but that was 2-2 until last 30 seconds.  The rest of the kids in his bracket were all really good top level kids and most were seniors. Howard maybe only 15 but he matches up with Coffey pretty well. Not saying he beats him but it would be a good match. 

Edited by durdon

Super impressive showing for Howard as well as the other TN boys!  Congrats to all of them on the outstanding showing at a major national tourney!

Too bad we'll never know about the match unless Howard accepts that UT football scholly folks were mentioning and they wrestle off on UT's campus after practices where Skylar will be competing for SEC/NCAA Track and Field championships!  Maybe they could hold a fundraiser for pizza money for starving college students and live stream it in a couple years :)

Let the debates rage on.... I know who my pick is this year for sure.  Not suggesting it would be a cake walk for Skylar by any means, but he's too much for Howard this year.

I think the best chance to see a top end HWT match live in TN this year will be at F.R. Drennan tourney in a couple weeks... Skylar will be on a collision course to get revenge against the Union County, KY stud, Matthias Ervin, who bested him twice before (last year's Drennan and at NHSCA).  Ervin has superior defensive skills IMO, and is a really strong kid himself.  Should be a great 3rd match if brackets hold up!

Peterson/Johnny Mac should also match up hopefully if brackets cooperate.  I know Union County will have a stud and East Side as well along with other top teams who have come recently to F.R Drennan tourney.  195 should be a ton of fun to watch... I wish Bradley Williams hadn't graduated, because it could have really been fantastic at that weight! HA!