2019 Arby's Classic

MentorFan

The tournament starts in a week. Only four teams (Tennessee High, Dobyns-Bennett, Greeneville and Tabernacle Baptist Christian Academy of the Bahamas) return from 2018. There are seven teams playing for the first time. Some of the most familiar names (Gate City and Sullivan East) are not playing in Bristol's holiday classic for the first time in 15 years. The defending champions (Knoxville Bearden) are not returning.

As an outsider, it seems to me that the two teams to beat are North Mecklenburg (NC) and Webb School (TN). North Mecklenburg (Arby's Classic winners in 2014 and 2017) has Tristan Maxwell, MVP of the 2017 Arby's Tournament, back as a senior. Webb School has a top 25 national player in 6'5 guard Keon Johnson, who chose Tennessee over Ohio State, Auburn, Virginia, etc. 

I am a Mentor (OH) guy. I follow them pretty closely. I have never been to the Classic, but it sounds like it would be a great event. Mentor had a 20-2 regular season as they set a program record for regular season wins and regular season winning percentage. They lost in the regional semifinal round (final 16 in Ohio's big school division) last March. Mentor returns their three leading scorers from a season ago. The team isn't quite as eye popping as the first few teams that came to the Arby's at the beginning of the decade where they finished 3rd, 2nd, and 2nd in three straight seasons (2010-2012). But they are still one of Ohio's top teams and will be a tough out at the tournament. Their starting back court is very good. Small guards, but tough and talented. The forwards are skilled and have enough size to bang with most of the bigs. Mentor is not a very deep team, but their starting core is really good. This team is not as likely to jump out in scoring in the 80's or 90's on a regular basis as they were in 2010-2012, but they should be an entertaining team to watch with a pace and style of play that few teams at the Classic are used to. 

I look forward to listening to their games as much as possible and following along at what appears to be one of the most coveted tournaments in the region. 

7 hours ago, MentorFan said:

The tournament starts in a week. Only four teams (Tennessee High, Dobyns-Bennett, Greeneville and Tabernacle Baptist Christian Academy of the Bahamas) return from 2018. There are seven teams playing for the first time. Some of the most familiar names (Gate City and Sullivan East) are not playing in Bristol's holiday classic for the first time in 15 years. The defending champions (Knoxville Bearden) are not returning.

As an outsider, it seems to me that the two teams to beat are North Mecklenburg (NC) and Webb School (TN). North Mecklenburg (Arby's Classic winners in 2014 and 2017) has Tristan Maxwell, MVP of the 2017 Arby's Tournament, back as a senior. Webb School has a top 25 national player in 6'5 guard Keon Johnson, who chose Tennessee over Ohio State, Auburn, Virginia, etc. 

I am a Mentor (OH) guy. I follow them pretty closely. I have never been to the Classic, but it sounds like it would be a great event. Mentor had a 20-2 regular season as they set a program record for regular season wins and regular season winning percentage. They lost in the regional semifinal round (final 16 in Ohio's big school division) last March. Mentor returns their three leading scorers from a season ago. The team isn't quite as eye popping as the first few teams that came to the Arby's at the beginning of the decade where they finished 3rd, 2nd, and 2nd in three straight seasons (2010-2012). But they are still one of Ohio's top teams and will be a tough out at the tournament. Their starting back court is very good. Small guards, but tough and talented. The forwards are skilled and have enough size to bang with most of the bigs. Mentor is not a very deep team, but their starting core is really good. This team is not as likely to jump out in scoring in the 80's or 90's on a regular basis as they were in 2010-2012, but they should be an entertaining team to watch with a pace and style of play that few teams at the Classic are used to. 

I look forward to listening to their games as much as possible and following along at what appears to be one of the most coveted tournaments in the region. 

I believe Keon is out with a knee injury suppose to back around postseason.

2 hours ago, stockton4182 said:

I believe this years tournament will be one of the weakest going by overall records.

Knoxville Catholic (5-1) turned down an invitation to play in the Arby’s but they were committed to the Gonzaga DC Classic (played last week) and the Cumberland Falls Invitational Tournament in Kentucky. I’m surprised Science Hill isn’t playing in the Arbys. 

3 hours ago, jjm70 said:

Basketball schedule must be like your football schedule 

Says the guy who's team is 2-4 :rolleyes:.  One of Betsy's losses was a 62-35 beat down by Bearden.  Greeneville has beaten Maryville (A team that has already beaten Bearden this year), DB, and SG who has a 11-4 record.

17 hours ago, stockton4182 said:

I believe Keon is out with a knee injury suppose to back around postseason.

That is a significant blow to one of the favorites as well as to the overall cache of the tournament. 

I really have no idea how to compare this field to previous ones since I am an Ohio guy. Mentor is on the side of the bracket with North Mecklenburg. That potential semifinal is what appears to be the biggest obstacle for Mentor finally winning this tournament. 

4 hours ago, Swipes said:

Says the guy who's team is 2-4 :rolleyes:.  One of Betsy's losses was a 62-35 beat down by Bearden.  Greeneville has beaten Maryville (A team that has already beaten Bearden this year), DB, and SG who has a 11-4 record.

Did elizabethton have football players no , y’all are just salty in every sport you play 

Just now, jjm70 said:

Did elizabethton have football players no , y’all are just salty in every sport you play 

4 hours ago, Swipes said:

Pretty sure Maryville is just a powerhouse in football. Or did that take a football loss away 

50 minutes ago, jjm70 said:

Salty about being 6-0 ranked number 2 behind Science Hill in the tricitiesports rankings?  You tried to throw shade about our schedule when have you even looked at Betsy's?  So whats the excuse for the loss to Cosby or University High? You weren't playing football then

You need to get out of the Hills more if you think Maryville is just a football school.  Before last season when Bearden won the AAA state basketball Championship the Maryville Rebels were the last team from East TN to win AAA in 2006.  They also went 28-4 last season and gave Bearden their only loss.  I'm sure you have never heard of Joe Anderson All State and Avg 19 points a year last year and already committed to play at Furman.  What about Lee Humphrey's that went on to win 2 national championships as a starter for Florida.

Edited by Swipes