2019 Arby's Classic

MentorFan

For the team from the Bahamas, what do they do the rest of the weekend now that they are out? I notice they always seem to penciled into play in that "opening round" play-in game of sorts. I wonder what is the purpose of putting them in that spot every year. They have to obviously wait it out for four days as their flight most certainly wasn't going to leave until January 1. 

1 hour ago, MentorFan said:

For the team from the Bahamas, what do they do the rest of the weekend now that they are out? I notice they always seem to penciled into play in that "opening round" play-in game of sorts. I wonder what is the purpose of putting them in that spot every year. They have to obviously wait it out for four days as their flight most certainly wasn't going to leave until January 1. 

I’m not sure to be honest. The tournament pays for their stay and I think travel and also provides a little extra money for expenses. 

I watched all Arby's Classic games on opening day. Mentor looks they are the best complete & all around team this year. Today, I went to North to watch the Action Athletics Christmas Tournament. Much much more talent & smart play in the Arby's over this tournament.

Sullivan South is clearly the best team in the Christmas tournament being played @ North. The only team I could see beating Mentor would be Webb school from Bell Buckle. They have enough talent to match or beat Mentor.

Edited by tonybologna

16 hours ago, creekerballer said:

I’m not sure to be honest. The tournament pays for their stay and I think travel and also provides a little extra money for expenses. 

Wow, that is quite an expense. I heard that the tournament takes care of some expenses for an out of state team like Mentor to come down. I was impressed. Usually these events can cost a lot for parents/schools to travel, stay, and play. Arby's Classic is very unique. I wish it was a little closer and I would love to see Mentor play in person there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MentorFan said:

Wow, that is quite an expense. I heard that the tournament takes care of some expenses for an out of state team like Mentor to come down. I was impressed. Usually these events can cost a lot for parents/schools to travel, stay, and play. Arby's Classic is very unique. I wish it was a little closer and I would love to see Mentor play in person there. 

Love seeing Mentor play. I think they have a good shot. Mecklenburg doesn’t look as strong as they have before and The Webb School is without Keon Johnson. If they make it out of their bracket I think they face Mountain Brook or Concord. Would love to see Mentor vs Mountain Brook. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EHSTrack06 said:

As bad as this sounds teams from outside the area always seem to do better than our local teams. We're clearly not a basketball area lol Bearden and science hill would have done well this year

Gate city would have done well, Bradley Dean is the real deal. This year's gate city isn't as good as the past two years losing Ervin and Mcclung but Bradley Dean is averaging around 37 this season so far 

9 hours ago, EHSTrack06 said:

As bad as this sounds teams from outside the area always seem to do better than our local teams. We're clearly not a basketball area lol Bearden and science hill would have done well this year

I heard from a reliable source that Bearden wanted back in but was not invited. Odd since they won it last year. Would probably compete a little better than teams like Wise or Hampton. Seems like they always have at least some talent.