2020 Anderson County Football

olhickory

Mavericks load up again for another exciting season.  They will miss 3 year starter Austin Elliott, and some big boys up front including Gage Terry, Matt Murphy, and Jacob McCall.  The bulk of the starters return, and the Mavs look to be reloaded again for 2020.  They will return Russ Lindsey and Stone Cummins, arguably two of the best tandem LB's to come through the program, Oglesby, Sexton, and Goins all return with playing time in the trenches.  Behind them a talented group of cover guys and solid tacklers on defense with Thomas, White, Godwin-Milller, Terry , and Williams who all saw playing time during the 2019 season.  Look for  Brock, Meier and Cox to  be immediate impact players as well. Hatmaker returns at QB after a 2000 yard junior season throwing the ball to all the guys listed above.  The young guns, like Vowell, Noe, Miller,Russell, West and Davis will all be on the field as well.  QB-2 Martinez is an X factor, and look for him to play a lot this season as he gets ready to take the wheel  on Fridays.  He is a stud and has a cannon as he proved in 2019 on Friday nights connecting on several TD passes throughout his freshman campaign.  The Mavericks will have 5 Star Kicker Punter Daniel Bethel back to kick and punt, so don't look for any returns in that area.  The staff in intact as usual, and the stampede will continue.  Elizabethton and Greeneville always have the key to the gate, and we will always look forward to hosting either of these two fine programs this year as the playoffs on this side of the state in 4 A will come through Anderson County.   I am sure I left a few names, and I am sure someone will be able to help me remember a few returning starters from last season, so feel free to mention any that I forgot.  I know the Maverick fans are chomping at the bit for 2020, and it will be here before we know.  As Coach Terry always says, "#HookEm"

• Like 1

2020 Anderson County Football Schedule

8-21   Clinton  Home

8-28 Powell  Home

9-4 . Hixson  Away

9-11 South Doyle  Away

9-18 . Chattanooga Howard Tech Home

9-25 .  Jefferson County . Away

10-2 East Ridge . Away

10-9 . Chattanooga Central . Home

10-16  OPEN

10-23 East Hamilton Home--Senior Night

10-30 Sequoyah Away

11-6 PLAYOFFS

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Anderson County Football Players on the TSWA All State List and the TnFCA All State  List.  Junior Stone Cummins makes the TnFCA list on Defense, and Daniel Bethel,  the punter/kicker makes the TSWA list.  I think Russ LIndsey had a case to make one of the two lists.  He is returning starter who had an unreal year on defense.  In my opinion, Lindsey may be the best football player they have.  All these players return for next season, and I would expect big things from these players as well as the others that return for the 2020 campaign.  

As far as a week one prediction, I can only predict that the Mavericks will be as good as they have been on both sides of the ball, and seem to have as much depth at the skill positions as they have had in twenty years. They will easily rotate 7-8 receivers with no drop off on the field this season.  This team is loaded again, and with that said, I don't see any change in who wins that week one contest.  It hasn't been close, and won't be this season.  I wish it could be closer, but don't see how it can be. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mavericks hitting the weightroom last week, said we have good turnout in there.  Coach Owens has a great program, he got to speak at a strength clinic last week at Kingsport D-B, and did a great job.  I  Heard that  7 on 7 is about to get going, it was fun to watch every weekend last spring.  Looked like they had about 30 7v7 last Saturday throwing and catching.   Kicker/Punter Daniel Bethel will be headed to Las Vegas over the weekend to compete in the Sailer Invitational.  Glad he is coming back. He is certainly a weapon for the Mavericks as he makes the opposing offense start on the 20 each time, and is money from the 40 in on FG's.  

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations to Anderson County Football Offensive Lineman Matt Murphy for his commitment to Carson Newman and Waylon Harris, Defensive Lineman for his commitment to the University of the Cumberlands. Perhaps the biggest commit of the day was Offensive Linemen Jacob McCall getting sworn into the United States Army. We are super proud of that.  #Hookem

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 8:47 PM, Djohnson said:

What happen with the 7on7 at AC they done last year? 

The guy that put the 7v7 together with teams from all over East Tenn.  came to Head Coach Gillum this January and wanted to do it again at AC, but wanted to charge AC for the teams they were going to enter in the league.  AC told the guy that they could have the field and facilities free of charge for having their 7v7 team in the league like they did last season.  The guy said he wanted the field for free and had to charge for the AC  teams to enter, so the AD said no deal.  Seems like a reasonable request to me that if you are asking to use the field and facilities for free, that you would allow the home team to play there for free.  I think the guy took his league to another field, but I don't know.  I do know AC has 3 teams and they have played in Knoxville and surrounding the last three weekends.  They have enough to do three separate teams which means their depth must be pretty good.  So to answer your question, sounds like someone tried to get greedy and lost their place to play.  Either way, the Mavs move on, and continue to get reps throughout the winter months.  I can't wait for spring ball, it will be here soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mavericks having a great off season in the weight room.  I follow @maverickliftAC on Twitter, and you can see the week to week lifting program and some great video from the strength coach posted of our kids lifting.  It is great to see our strength coach putting together a program for our kids that is heavy in the front squat and cleans.  The form these kids are using is outstanding and they seem to be 3 and 5 rep maxing some big weights.  2021 Stone Cummins had 635 for 2 on front squat the other day. Not bad for 225 pound player. Also saw 2021s Max Oglesby, Cam Thomas and Josh Miller pushing big weights on videos. 2022 Db/ Rec Terry back squat 465 for 4 and Press 280 for 5 was impressive, good to see White back in the weight room after basketball, the Sexton  kid is huge.    The 2023 class is impressive with Noe and Davis pushing some huge weights as well.  If any Maverick fans want to check out the weight room action, its all posted on their Twitter strength page.  Fun to watch for fans, as we don't get to see the off season as much.  7v7 season for the Mavericks has been very good, I know they have traveled to a few tourneys and have gotten a lot of reps in with the two QBs, Stone Hatmaker, and Walker Martinez.   This is gonna be a super fun year to watch the Mavericks.  

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Djohnson said:

How is 7on 7 practice going AC?

It  has gone well.  Thanks for asking.  Our 7v7 kids are working hard.  They know the expectation, and although times have changed for them, the expectation has not.  Stone Hatmaker is ready to lead the Mavericks at the QB position, and has as many targets as he has or any other Maverick QB has ever had.  The OL/DL is big and super strong, and like I have said before, the expectation is to win the region and get another shot at Etown or Greeneville.  I am one who cannot wait for August. 

53 minutes ago, olhickory said:

It  has gone well.  Thanks for asking.  Our 7v7 kids are working hard.  They know the expectation, and although times have changed for them, the expectation has not.  Stone Hatmaker is ready to lead the Mavericks at the QB position, and has as many targets as he has or any other Maverick QB has ever had.  The OL/DL is big and super strong, and like I have said before, the expectation is to win the region and get another shot at Etown or Greeneville.  I am one who cannot wait for August. 

That’s good I herd AC started back practicing.  AC will be a tough task for the young dragons.