Beast of the East

durdon

8 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

That was his 8th grade year. He "redshirted" last year so he could come back as a 9th grader. Never seen something like it in my life. 

Cobrakid, it's becoming more of the norm, especially with the "elite" student-ATHLETES. And it's not just wrestling, its ALL sports and doesnt have a thing to do with educational, social or emotional development. It is done for physical development, strength, agility, explosiveness and technique. 

I know this is just my opinion, but I havent seen it done yet for a kid competing in a spelling bee competition nor on the math or history bowl teams.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, durdon said:

Final Results 

Champion and named OW 

Cody Chittum - Blair 

3rd Place 

Cooper Flynn - Mcdonogh 

4th Place 

James Howard - McCallie 

6th Place 

Alex Whitworth - McCallie 

8th Place 

Trae Mcdaniel- Cleveland 

CONGRATULATIONS to all the wrestlers who represented TN this weekend! Great job!!!

34 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Cobrakid, it's becoming more of the norm, especially with the "elite" student-ATHLETES. And it's not just wrestling, its ALL sports and doesnt have a thing to do with educational, social or emotional development. It is done for physical development, strength, agility, explosiveness and technique. 

I know this is just my opinion, but I havent seen it done yet for a kid competing in a spelling bee competition nor on the math or history bowl teams.

Man it would have been fun to have done that back in my day. I mean I was in college at 17. Absolutely sad it’s come to this for any sport and it’s a lot off these helicopters parents doing it for little Johnny so he can go really far. I mean it’s great to see a 19-20 year old senior. I coached and taught school. If my kid isn’t physically developed enough for his sport Guess what it just sucks for him. My oldest is 19 now graduated last year and he grew 6 inches during a summer between freshman and soph year. From one of the shortest kids in class to mid level at least. I guess it’s good he made a 31 on the ACT or maybe I should have held him back a year and see if he could have gotten more Academic scholarship money lol. 

9 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Man it would have been fun to have done that back in my day. I mean I was in college at 17. Absolutely sad it’s come to this for any sport and it’s a lot off these helicopters parents doing it for little Johnny so he can go really far. I mean it’s great to see a 19-20 year old senior. I coached and taught school. If my kid isn’t physically developed enough for his sport Guess what it just sucks for him. My oldest is 19 now graduated last year and he grew 6 inches during a summer between freshman and soph year. From one of the shortest kids in class to mid level at least. I guess it’s good he made a 31 on the ACT or maybe I should have held him back a year and see if he could have gotten more Academic scholarship money lol. 

The student athletes may not turn 19 years of age before August 1 and be eligible that season.  Yes, you will have a very few students turning 19 during the fall of their senior year.  What I have witnessed the most is you will see students turning 19 in the spring of their senior year or during the summer before they leave for college.  

2 minutes ago, cbg said:

The student athletes may not turn 19 years of age before August 1 and be eligible that season.  Yes, you will have a very few students turning 19 during the fall of their senior year.  What I have witnessed the most is you will see students turning 19 in the spring of their senior year or during the summer before they leave for college.  

Again sad, to see a kid spend a full year as a 19 year old senior. Now rules I know in Hamilton county have changed since I graduated, but with my Birthday the way it was I was able to start school and graduate at 17 and I was at MTSU for a month and half at 17 years old. This isn't college that has a real redshirt year, this is high school, if you have to allow your kid time to develop because of a "sport" any sport you have issues. I would have hated to not graduate with my class and those I grew up with, but I darn well would have had a really good shot of being a good wrestler if I had "redshirted"and graduated in 2000 instead of 99. Now if my kids had some kind of academic stunt in growth they might have been held back because of that, but if they are ok with their grades, no reason they should be held back because of a sport. Sad state of affairs now in sports, of course it's one reason I don't coach anymore and a reason I am about to also hang up my referee whistle(soccer) because parents now days as sad excuses for parents when it come s to their kids and sports. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbg said:

other states do not have the 19 year old rule do they?

On 12/23/2019 at 10:09 AM, werazzlin said:

other states do not have the 19 year old rule do they?

The age rule is a National Federation rule therefore all states follow the same rules.  The only difference would be at the National Prep School Tournament where athletes that are enrolled in a post graduate (PG) year may also compete.