Germantown hires Fairley's Gene Robinson, 28, as football CoachT

kwc

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I'll play along... Coach's biggest mistake was throwing the ball that Baugus intercepted. One first down puts the game away, and they have the best RB in the classification... if you can't gain 10 yards, you punt the ball back at your 35 with around a minute left. You can't fault for the INT., but the clock stops if incomplete.Second huge mistake was spiking the ball from the shotgun. Ruled (correctly) intentional grounding, loss of down, 10 yards, from the spot, about six yards from LOS... cost a down and sixteen yards. Funny thing is, the kids bailed Coach out on all those mistakes, validating your point about the fumble, and still should have won... except for the fatal miscue, which was going under center for the "victory" formation, which (according to all accounts) they hadn't done all season (that was the reason given for spiking the ball from the shotgun, and not under center).

Probably going to offend some Peabody folks, but the better team that night lost because a chain of bad decisions were more than they could overcome in the end, compounded by terrible luck. Play out that sequence 100 times more and Fairley wins almost all of them even with the coaching flaws, just didn't the one time that they had the opportunity.

Apparently the better team did win. Did fairley win ?  No offense taken either. We still had to score twice get a 2 point conversion. There was multiple soft spots for fairley. They had no special teams. If they could kick a field goal they may have won. Their coach made multiple bad calls. what about the throw for a 2 point conversion instead of running it in end zone ?  Going under center when you don’t snap the ball under center all year. He is a good coach no doubt but he is still learning I believe. Can someone explain to me how the sophomore class  which was Robinson’s first year went from 8 players to 21 as juniors and 22 as seniors with 36 players only 14 underclassmen in his three years as coach.  Must have been his inspirational talks. 

Edited by Tide21

2 hours ago, Tide21 said:

Apparently the better team did win. Did fairley win ?  No offense taken either. We still had to score twice get a 2 point conversion. There was multiple soft spots for fairley. They had no special teams. If they could kick a field goal they may have won. Their coach made multiple bad calls. what about the throw for a 2 point conversion instead of running it in end zone ?  Going under center when you don’t snap the ball under center all year. He is a good coach no doubt but he is still learning I believe. Can someone explain to me how the sophomore class  which was Robinson’s first year went from 8 players to 21 as juniors and 22 as seniors with 36 players only 14 underclassmen in his three years as coach.  Must have been his inspirational talks. 

Taking into account that the coaches are part of the team, you can say that the better team won... looking at it from the other perspective, play by play, those Fairley kids did what they had to do to win, but the coaches failed them.

40 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Taking into account that the coaches are part of the team, you can say that the better team won... looking at it from the other perspective, play by play, those Fairley kids did what they had to do to win, but the coaches failed them.

I forgot to mention we had I believe 2 tds called back and their defense was simulating our snap clapping they killed 2 drives that way and the refs only called it once but the clapping By their defense probably happened 8 times or more 

6 hours ago, Tide21 said:

I forgot to mention we had I believe 2 tds called back and their defense was simulating our snap clapping they killed 2 drives that way and the refs only called it once but the clapping By their defense probably happened 8 times or more 

I know... I watched the game. Like I said, I knew that it would offend some Peabody fans by giving my honest opinion, but that's my honest opinion. I was pulling for you guys, and figured it would be closer than any game y'all would have all season, but them winning... no. Just out of curiosity, how many times under the same set of circumstances from the three minute mark does Trenton win that game out of a hundred?

Just to be clear, if those two teams meet again tomorrow my money's on Peabody to win by over 7, but that night wasn't the Tide's night other than fate intervening on their behalf.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I know... I watched the game. Like I said, I knew that it would offend some Peabody fans by giving my honest opinion, but that's my honest opinion. I was pulling for you guys, and figured it would be closer than any game y'all would have all season, but them winning... no. Just out of curiosity, how many times under the same set of circumstances from the three minute mark does Trenton win that game out of a hundred?

Just to be clear, if those two teams meet again tomorrow my money's on Peabody to win by over 7, but that night wasn't the Tide's night other than fate intervening on their behalf.

This^^^^

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I promise I’m not offended 

Yeah I agree with all of what you said except how could you say it wasn’t the tides night when we won the game. I do think they were the most talented but I don’t think they were the best overall team.  I think we would win in a rematch by 7-14 points. The game plan would definitely be different 

Edited by Tide21

2 hours ago, Tide21 said:

I promise I’m not offended 

Yeah I agree with all of what you said except how could you say it wasn’t the tides night when we won the game. I do think they were the most talented but I don’t think they were the best overall team.  I think we would win in a rematch by 7-14 points. The game plan would definitely be different 

I am saying that it wasn't the Tide's night because of the point you're also making for me... "I think we would win in a rematch by 7-14 points". Peabody has arguably one of the very best group of coaches in the entire state, and Fairley's coaches made fundamental mistakes that cost them the game in the end (I think that we agree on that?), so if not an underwhelming performance by Peabody, what other factors had them trailing by eight in the final minutes of the game? If Peabody was "on top of their game" that night, and Fairley has a so-so game, Peabody is probably up 2-3 scores (in my opinion) late in the forth... that's what I meant when I said that it wasn't their night. 

On 1/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, tradertwo said:

I am saying that it wasn't the Tide's night because of the point you're also making for me... "I think we would win in a rematch by 7-14 points". Peabody has arguably one of the very best group of coaches in the entire state, and Fairley's coaches made fundamental mistakes that cost them the game in the end (I think that we agree on that?), so if not an underwhelming performance by Peabody, what other factors had them trailing by eight in the final minutes of the game? If Peabody was "on top of their game" that night, and Fairley has a so-so game, Peabody is probably up 2-3 scores (in my opinion) late in the forth... that's what I meant when I said that it wasn't their night. 

Trader I hear Ya. The coaching lost the game that night. You shot gun all night then you try to go under center to end the game and you fumble. I go Back to tca and we shot gun every play. Not matter what. Heck a few years ago tca had the ball on the one yard line and needed to just get a play off to end the game against Adamsville. We still snapped in shotgun and ended the game. That is coaching. Peabody I love Ya but that night the Fairley players and team beat you. Their coaches gave you the game at the end on the scoreboard. Part of being a champion is also recognizing the gifts that every champion gets throughout a season that gets them there. No championship team never made it to the end with a break or a gift. Coaching beat Fairley. Their own and Peabody

2 hours ago, BigEdMo said:

Trader I hear Ya. The coaching lost the game that night. You shot gun all night then you try to go under center to end the game and you fumble. I go Back to tca and we shot gun every play. Not matter what. Heck a few years ago tca had the ball on the one yard line and needed to just get a play off to end the game against Adamsville. We still snapped in shotgun and ended the game. That is coaching. Peabody I love Ya but that night the Fairley players and team beat you. Their coaches gave you the game at the end on the scoreboard. Part of being a champion is also recognizing the gifts that every champion gets throughout a season that gets them there. No championship team never made it to the end with a break or a gift. Coaching beat Fairley. Their own and Peabody

It just bothers me that those kids did enough to win that game, and because of repeated bonehead mistakes from their coaches, they left the field feeling like they were losers. Going under center was not the dumbest thing that they were instructed to do, but it was ultimately the decision that cost them... throwing (Baugus interception) the ball when running out the clock with the lead, running a high risk play deep in the backfield for the conversion, and spiking the ball from the shotgun were all calls that no decent coach would make in those situations. Line them up under center, they probably execute a snap without fumbling the next 10 times in a row, and if the QB is familiar with it, it's probably the right call... my problem is that Coach knows his team better than anyone, and knows (should have) that they aren't rock solid from that formation.

I have just as much respect for Peabody's claim on the gold ball as if they'd beaten everyone by 50... they fought 'till the clock ran to 0:00, and made the plays needed after the fumble to beat Fairley. They showed heart, determination, and best of all, respect to the Fairley team afterwards... I still can't shake how bad for the Memphis kids I feel, because they didn't deserve to be in that situation.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:21 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Ok. I’ll be your huckleberry just for giggles and play devils advocate. How did coaching effect the bobbled snap where you guys recovered the fumble?  They had no problems snapping the ball earlier in the game did they??  Don’t see how coaching impacted that. If it wasn’t for that play nothing else matters right???  Again just want to play devils advocate. 

Why did he put the QB under center???? 1st time whole game .

• 2 weeks later...