Mater Dei Holiday Classic

Indysportsfan

Typically Evansville Mater Dei (EMD) runs away with the team title.  This year there are 2 teams from Tennessee, Father Ryan & Christian Brothers.  Last year Father Ryan finished 3rd (Union County, KY was 2nd), almost 100 points behind EMD.  Are they stronger this year and will Christian Brothers be a stronger team?  Two new teams from Indiana joined the event, both of them are strong and ranked within our state (Roncalli is #7, Portage #18).

Father Ryan is probably on a similar level to the team they had last year.  CBHS was a stronger team than Father Ryan last year.

CBHS will be without about 3 starters this weekend, at least one of which is a major contributor at this level as a 2x state finalist.  That said, they did just add a returning state champ back to their lineup for the first time this year.  I would expect them to be in the mix at this year’s event but may be tough to push for the top spot with a few of their guys out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Christian Brothers finished 4th and Father Ryan finished 9th.

Top performers:

CB: Dayne Dalrymple (126, 3-2) placed 4th; Aidan Bowers (138, 3-2) placed 4th; Garrett Bowers (145, 3-1) placed 2nd; Theo Sewell (182, 3-2) placed 4th; Connor Billingsley (195, 5-1) placed 3rd; Al Wooten (220, 4-1) placed 2nd.

FR:  Sean Pitts (138, 3-3) placed 6th; Lawrence Madson (152, 3-2) placed 4th; JaCorey Miller (160, 4-1) placed 3rd; Parker Peterson (195, 4-0) placed 1st.

Very tough tournament, Indiana schools placed 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th.  Kentucky placed 2nd and 10th.

My guess is Indiana will have 3-4 State Champs and 14-16 additional medal winners (Top 8 in State) that wrestled in this event.

• Upvote 1