Mairvul Footbawl 2020 (offishual thred)

STARSNBARS

4 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

I didn't know this.  It's not so apparent to some of us.

Good catch OR2. It should have said athletics program.

And I shouldn’t have just singled out baseball. There are many extracurricular activities that few care about. Same in college for that matter. Not sure the purpose when only a handful or two give a crap.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:39 PM, strongx said:

Good catch OR2. It should have said athletics program.

And I shouldn’t have just singled out baseball. There are many extracurricular activities that few care about. Same in college for that matter. Not sure the purpose when only a handful or two give a crap.

Seems to me that a LOT of money has been spent on the baseball, softball (adding some turf right now), and track programs in the last few years.  Wrestling has new mats (they're not cheap).  I'm sure there are other expenditures that I don't know about.

1 hour ago, OldRebel2 said:

Seems to me that a LOT of money has been spent on the baseball, softball (adding some turf right now), and track programs in the last few years.  Wrestling has new mats (they're not cheap).  I'm sure there are other expenditures that I don't know about.

Doesn't matter.....parents are going to complain, regardless. 

1 hour ago, OldRebel2 said:

Our mats were peanuts compared to the price tags for the new track and baseball field. We held multiple youth tournaments this year to go along with the HS tournaments to pay for them and I believe our mats are now fully funded.

Edited by JSamson7

3 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Our mats were peanuts compared to the price tags for the new track and baseball field. We held multiple youth tournaments this year to go along with the HS tournaments to pay for them and I believe our mats are now fully funded.

JSamson7, I realize that the money was raised.  My point was that there have been upgrades to many sports facilities/equipment.  Like the mats, the football field, track and baseball fields are mostly being paid by monies raised outside of the MCS budget through advertising and fund raising drives.  Coaches, parents, players, fans, advertisers, and sponsors have ALL done a great job raising the funds for many sports.  I was trying to make the point that many folks care about lots the sports.

Edited by OldRebel2

On 2/26/2020 at 5:57 PM, Red Rebels said:

So you never started one? Isn't "Strong X" an old Ted Wilson play? 

Negative RR that would have been a defensive call that came from DW! along with weak X, wrecker and stinger! And I can't believe SX is shocked about no-one caring about baseball! when he and I played there was only 1XL batting helmet. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, matback said:

Negative RR that would have been a defensive call that came from DW! along with weak X, wrecker and stinger! And I can't believe SX is shocked about no-one caring about baseball! when he and I played there was only 1XL batting helmet. 

Blood/Knife! :D

MB - at least 35 years ago the school supplied one batting helmet that fit! LOL This don't only apply to baseball, but when it costs several hundred dollars for a kid to participate in extra-curricular activities, something may be amiss. I was told middle school cheerleaders paid $800+ this year - geez. 

The baseball team didn't need a fake grass field (neither did the football team) and the twelve kids in town who can run didn't need a new track. I am not just picking at murvil here. It is similar at other schools. My point is that if the school cannot afford to offer (fund) the extra-curricular activity, then the activity should be cancelled allowing the students to participate with another school who can afford it. TSSAA allows this. If that means all the activities other than football are cancelled, then so be it. We would all survive.

1 hour ago, strongx said:

Blood/Knife! :D

MB - at least 35 years ago the school supplied one batting helmet that fit! LOL This don't only apply to baseball, but when it costs several hundred dollars for a kid to participate in extra-curricular activities, something may be amiss. I was told middle school cheerleaders paid $800+ this year - geez. 

The baseball team didn't need a fake grass field (neither did the football team) and the twelve kids in town who can run didn't need a new track. I am not just picking at murvil here. It is similar at other schools. My point is that if the school cannot afford to offer (fund) the extra-curricular activity, then the activity should be cancelled allowing the students to participate with another school who can afford it. TSSAA allows this. If that means all the activities other than football are cancelled, then so be it. We would all survive.

Baseball would be easily funded if it were not for the crooked and partially blind umpires taking all the gate money as payment for a sub par job. 

• Like 1