Mairvul Footbawl 2020 (offishual thred)

STARSNBARS

5 hours ago, cbg said:

As an old fart that has been around high school & college athletics much too long I have the following opinion:  football in the Fall, all football players that do not play basketball must wrestle.  What you do is strength train before school, during school or even before wrestling practice and then go into the wrestling room.  Wrestling helps the skilled position players with learning how to fight and how to tackle someone to the ground without assistance.  The linemen learn to move their feet and hands at the same time while also gaining much needed leverage experience.  When on the wrestling mat you are  alone and cannot hide  like you can in a team sport.  Wrestling is truly a life skill that is much more valuable than football.  Track & field is much the same in that the skilled players learn running technique and the linemen do a little running while working on the throwing events.  Throwing is much like wrestling in that there is a lot of technique involved.  Everyone wants to specialize and focus on one sport where the truth is only a select few will ever experience playing any sport at the college level.  

That's why I recruited a ton of football players for our wrestling team. I mentioned in the Wrestling Mat thread, a bunch of our wrestlers were in Cookeville and every year we get a late start.

#don'tstopdeceiving #belowaverage

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, cbg said:

As an old fart that has been around high school & college athletics much too long I have the following opinion:  football in the Fall, all football players that do not play basketball must wrestle.  What you do is strength train before school, during school or even before wrestling practice and then go into the wrestling room.  Wrestling helps the skilled position players with learning how to fight and how to tackle someone to the ground without assistance.  The linemen learn to move their feet and hands at the same time while also gaining much needed leverage experience.  When on the wrestling mat you are  alone and cannot hide  like you can in a team sport.  Wrestling is truly a life skill that is much more valuable than football.  Track & field is much the same in that the skilled players learn running technique and the linemen do a little running while working on the throwing events.  Throwing is much like wrestling in that there is a lot of technique involved.  Everyone wants to specialize and focus on one sport where the truth is only a select few will ever experience playing any sport at the college level.  

Great Post!

5 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

Or injured or both.

That’s what we have always been told for sure, but I’m beginning to wonder if it is true. With all the specialized trainers available today, players may be able to get their bodies in better shape for one sport. IDK
Over the last 10-15 yrs, any idea how many of murvils D1 players chose to drop other sports and specialize vs continuing to play multiple sports thru high school? Here are a few I remember:

Douglas-Bama?-football/basketball 

Hopkins-UAB-football

Stewart-Auburn-football/?

Jackson-Stanford-football/?

Hodge-UT-football

Humphrey-FL-basketball 

Coulter-UT-volleyball 

Curtis-Lipscomb-football/baseball

Thompson-SC-football

Shelton-CoC-football

Oliveira-Citidel-football

McCray-NCST-football/?

Black-Clem-football/?

Robinette-Vandy-football

Chambers-ISU-football/basketball 

Church-KY- baseball

Im sure there are lots more. As I said, I’ve encouraged kids to play as many as possible, but I think the kids who specialize are gaining quite an advantage. As a parent and HS fan, I hate it.

STEWART*

Stewart also competed in track and field under coach Mac Pickle while at Maryville, finishing second in the state in decathlon as a senior. Stewart also qualified for the state meet in the 100m, 110m hurdles, 400m, 200m, high jump, long jump, triple jump, discus, and shot put, but opted out of those competitions to compete in the state’s decathlon finals.

I know you stick and ball guys like to leave out track, but it's a sport. 

6 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

Or injured or both.

A. Men. 

Hacks me off to see coaches insinuate or just flat out threaten kids with being cut from their sport if a kid wants to play multi sports. That's just being selfish on the coaches parts.  

This is a real problem in some of the larger schools in Knox County right now, primarily with some coaches other than football coaches. And I stress, some of the schools and not all. 

An overwhelming majority of kids are not going to play collegiate or professional sports. Coaches who prevent kids from playing multiple sports are not acting in the best interests of the kids, but rather for their own interests, IMO. 

Besides, the stats say that a large majority of  the athletes drafted by the NFL were multi sport athletes.  I've seen similar studies indicating that the same is true for the top players taken in the MLB draft, as well.

Specialization isn't the answer. Let them play them all. 

https://www.trackingfootball.com/blog/tracking-football-finds-88-2018-nfl-draft-picks-multiple-sport-athletes-high-school/

Edited by HTV

1 hour ago, strongx said:

That’s what we have always been told for sure, but I’m beginning to wonder if it is true. With all the specialized trainers available today, players may be able to get their bodies in better shape for one sport. IDK
Over the last 10-15 yrs, any idea how many of murvils D1 players chose to drop other sports and specialize vs continuing to play multiple sports thru high school? Here are a few I remember:

Douglas-Bama?-football/basketball 

Hopkins-UAB-football

Stewart-Auburn-football/?

Jackson-Stanford-football/?

Hodge-UT-football

Humphrey-FL-basketball 

Coulter-UT-volleyball 

Curtis-Lipscomb-football/baseball

Thompson-SC-football

Shelton-CoC-football

Oliveira-Citidel-football

McCray-NCST-football/?

Black-Clem-football/?

Robinette-Vandy-football

Chambers-ISU-football/basketball 

Church-KY- baseball

Im sure there are lots more. As I said, I’ve encouraged kids to play as many as possible, but I think the kids who specialize are gaining quite an advantage. As a parent and HS fan, I hate it.

Can't believe you forgot Jay Guillermo All-ACC Center on the 2016 Championship Clemson Team.

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

STEWART*

Stewart also competed in track and field under coach Mac Pickle while at Maryville, finishing second in the state in decathlon as a senior. Stewart also qualified for the state meet in the 100m, 110m hurdles, 400m, 200m, high jump, long jump, triple jump, discus, and shot put, but opted out of those competitions to compete in the state’s decathlon finals.

I know you stick and ball guys like to leave out track, but it's a sport. 

100% Guilty as charged. I don’t count golf, soccer, or tennis either. It’s my problem. Now, if they have a fishing team...well