RESPECT or Notoriety! Why worthy schools, coaches and players don't get any!?

RealisticFan45

I personally think there is a big time dislike for GC with the press in Jackson, TN. They had very little to no coverage for our state championship last year.I think it is either jealousy or just hate. Now on here GC got a lot of love and it was appreciated. I love all of West TN teams especially when they cross the river. I jab Greenfield on here a little but I really like them and their team and will definitely pull for all West TN teams when they cross the river. 

• Like 1

Jealousy.  100%.  Jason Reuter (Bradley Bearettes coach) has NEVER received coach of the award in his district- last year is was awarded to a coach whose team lacked discipline and morals (that is all I will comment on) and came in third in district tournament. Reuter can count on one hand how many district teams have beat him in his 9 years at Bradley.  He has had a winning season EVERY year he has been there and he is the only team in his district to make it to state- numerous times.  Area schools come to game in hopes those girls will lose.  The disrespect and jealousy for the coach and program runs deep.

• Like 1

I will say that the Jackson Sun has done a good job of covering Gibson County athletics overall. They have one person covering all of the athletics in West TN, and he does a good job of it.

The Reuter situation at Bradley is pretty interesting as well as I’ve heard this ordeal before. All I know is that Reuter wins year in, and year out, and is consistently at the state tournament. He is up there among the great coaches in Tennessee.

Additionally, if a team is bad, or doesn’t have anything worth talking about, then the story isn’t going to sell to the public.

Edited by GCPioneer

9 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

I will say that the Jackson Sun has done a good job of covering Gibson County athletics overall. They have one person covering all of the athletics in West TN, and he does a good job of it.

The Reuter situation at Bradley is pretty interesting as well as I’ve heard this ordeal before. All I know is that Reuter wins year in, and year out, and is consistently at the state tournament. He is up there among the great coaches in Tennessee.

Additionally, if a team is bad, or doesn’t have anything worth talking about, then the story isn’t going to sell to the public.

Jackson Sun showed their true colors when they put very little about us winning the state in the paper and just the other day they had the top ten things that happend in 2019 and they had the GC girls state championship 4th or 5th in imporatant things that happend.  I mean really. I could understand being number 2 behind Peabody being number 1 by winning the state in football, but there is no more of a jab or taking a shot at GC than that. I mean winning the state title in their eyes is 4th or 5th. Shows you the jealousy and hate. They are not that incompetent.

Edited by pioneer42

On 1/2/2020 at 8:47 PM, RealisticFan45 said:

There are many schools, coaches and players that get looked over by the media and that get disrespected by fans. Why do you think this exist? What is your opinion on it? List some that you think dont get the respect they deserve.

If it’s state level it’s because they don’t suck up to the Middle TN mob. 

11 hours ago, eastten said:

If it’s state level it’s because they don’t suck up to the Middle TN mob. 

from around here we got attention when a son of a college coach was the head of the rebels program but now we do not have that connection.  i agree following my daughter and now my grandkids if you want to be seen or known make friends with mid tn folks 

On 1/3/2020 at 9:02 AM, bleedblackandgold said:

Jealousy.  100%.  Jason Reuter (Bradley Bearettes coach) has NEVER received coach of the award in his district- last year is was awarded to a coach whose team lacked discipline and morals (that is all I will comment on) and came in third in district tournament. Reuter can count on one hand how many district teams have beat him in his 9 years at Bradley.  He has had a winning season EVERY year he has been there and he is the only team in his district to make it to state- numerous times.  Area schools come to game in hopes those girls will lose.  The disrespect and jealousy for the coach and program runs deep.

Looking at it from the outside, my guess is there is resentment when players from other schools/school systems end up at Bradley. And no, that's not saying there is any monkey business involved in the moves. 

1 hour ago, Indian said:

Looking at it from the outside, my guess is there is resentment when players from other schools/school systems end up at Bradley. And no, that's not saying there is any monkey business involved in the moves. 

I think that is part of it.  I have watched basketball in this district for the entire Jason Reuter era.  There are a couple teams in this district that will never be able to field a team that will be competitive with the Bradley's, Cleveland's, or in recent years East Hamilton's.  The fact that Bradley beats those teams so unmercifully might create a negative impact on those coaches, it probably affects their voting.  I personally watched Cleveland play a completely outmatched Loudon team on Friday and play 14 kids evenly throughout the game to win by only 20.  If Bradley had played that game they would have won by 80 and so could Cleveland if they had wanted too.  Respect is not earned through humiliation, but by humility.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:38 PM, pioneer42 said:

I personally think there is a big time dislike for GC with the press in Jackson, TN. They had very little to no coverage for our state championship last year.I think it is either jealousy or just hate. Now on here GC got a lot of love and it was appreciated. I love all of West TN teams especially when they cross the river. I jab Greenfield on here a little but I really like them and their team and will definitely pull for all West TN teams when they cross the river. 

Jackson Sun barely show the schools in Jackson love, well public schools.  I am with you. I'm for all the West tn schools that go across the river. Also, I like Coach Wilkins and his teams. They play hard and are class acts!

Edited by RealisticFan45

On 1/3/2020 at 9:02 AM, bleedblackandgold said:

Same thing happened to McNeal at SS last year and his guard Miller as well. He should have been COY and she was hands down POY but the jealousy, hatred and another word that I wont use played a big part. 

5 hours ago, ClevelandRaiderFan4Life said:

I think that is part of it.  I have watched basketball in this district for the entire Jason Reuter era.  There are a couple teams in this district that will never be able to field a team that will be competitive with the Bradley's, Cleveland's, or in recent years East Hamilton's.  The fact that Bradley beats those teams so unmercifully might create a negative impact on those coaches, it probably affects their voting.  I personally watched Cleveland play a completely outmatched Loudon team on Friday and play 14 kids evenly throughout the game to win by only 20.  If Bradley had played that game they would have won by 80 and so could Cleveland if they had wanted too.  Respect is not earned through humiliation, but by humility.

Jason Reuter prepares his team for state. If he sat his starters down every time the game was a cake walk.... they would be sitting A LOT. He keeps these players in to get them experience and play time. He isn’t worried about the other teams feelings. This is high school athletics- there’s no participation award. 

• Thanks 1