Tennessee....Shot Clock or Not?

RealisticFan45

Im in favor of it, 35 seconds! Its exactly what any of them that advance to any higher level will see, and its simply another way to get them prepared. I personally think it will also help the game, as the teams have to play the entire 4th qtr instead of trying to hold the ball for 3 mins with a 4 pt lead????

I do agree the Officials will have to be trained and likely upgraded to a better group as a whole. May cost a little more money to get good people.

Edited by CHSALUM1
  • Upvote 1

If the NFHS makes it mandatory, then the TSSAA will make it mandatory as well. TSSAA will potentially get sued by the NFHS for not forcing a mandatory rule.

Me, personally, I think it needs to happen, but I know it won't. I wish we can have the luxury of hiring more officials to be "shot clock operators" but we are struggling to hire basketball officials as it is. A more luxury alternative is to find a way to sync something with the shot clock. Maybe if something hard hits the rim, the shot clock automatically resets. I don't know if there is good enough technology for it. 30 seconds would be my preference.

21 hours ago, CHSALUM1 said:

Im in favor of it, 35 seconds! Its exactly what any of them that advance to any higher level will see, and its simply another way to get them prepared. I personally think it will also help the game, as the teams have to play the entire 4th qtr instead of trying to hold the ball for 3 mins with a 4 pt lead????

I do agree the Officials will have to be trained and likely upgraded to a better group as a whole. May cost a little more money to get good people.

How many kids will advance to the next level? Very few. The vast majority will not play at a higher level.

It won't help games. The shot clock was created to make the game more exciting for fans. High school kids need to learn to play the game. They take bad shots as it is. Let's not force them into bad shots because of a shot clock.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:14 PM, Observation said:

I agree no shot clock. The expense to put one in for some schools would be a lot and then you have to train someone to run it and know when to reset it. Officials struggle enough to get calls correct imagine throwing a shot clock at them to know when to reset. 

Not a reason to not do it. I'm not saying that they should, but the above statement isn't a reason to not do it.

48 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

How many kids will advance to the next level? Very few. The vast majority will not play at a higher level.

It won't help games. The shot clock was created to make the game more exciting for fans. High school kids need to learn to play the game. They take bad shots as it is. Let's not force them into bad shots because of a shot clock.

Valid argument however, that junk that Briarcreat did to Montverde Acadamey isn't basketball either.  That exhibit is the very reason why folks are clomoring for a shot clock in HS basketball. Whereis the happy medium?