Tennessee....Shot Clock or Not?

RealisticFan45

I think it will eventually be in high school basketball. I also think overall it will be good for high school basketball. The argument that way more kids will not go to the next level will always be one of the arguments. Just like in school they offer honor's and AP courses but you do not have to take them. The shot clock will help some be more prepared for the next level. You also do not have to play basketball but if you chose to you will no this is a requirement. It will also be a financial burden on a lot of school if it gets implemented. When the 3 point line was in the works a lot of arguments against it and how it would ruin the game. Not sure it ruined it but it did drastically change it. 

19 hours ago, kwc said:

Valid argument however, that junk that Briarcreat did to Montverde Acadamey isn't basketball either.  That exhibit is the very reason why folks are clomoring for a shot clock in HS basketball. Whereis the happy medium?

How often does that kind of stuff happen with the 100s of high school basketball games on a weekly basis?

You mean IMG not Montverde. 

Edited by warmachine7954

On 1/6/2020 at 2:14 PM, Observation said:

I agree no shot clock. The expense to put one in for some schools would be a lot and then you have to train someone to run it and know when to reset it. Officials struggle enough to get calls correct imagine throwing a shot clock at them to know when to reset. 

This is 100% why there should never be a shot clock in High School. Officials catch enough heat as it is, I cant imagine the trouble it would cause if daddy running the shot clock messed it up. Also the expense for some small schools would be tough.

1 hour ago, old24eagle said:

This is 100% why there should never be a shot clock in High School. Officials catch enough heat as it is, I cant imagine the trouble it would cause if daddy running the shot clock messed it up. Also the expense for some small schools would be tough.

That and the game digressing even more! I mean the art of shooting 10 and 15 foot jumpers is practically gone and passes that get a teammate open to score is rarely seen....Speed the game up for these kids and put a shot clock in their heads and it gets worse IMO 

I could write a book on why I don't think there should be a shot clock in high school basketball. We've hit on it all nearly already so I won't beat a dead horse.

I think its's going to eventually happen because change happens. I think that if you do not go along with the NFHS rules and regulations you are not allowed to vote on things that they handle (not 100% sure on that) so if that is the case, the TSSAA wouldn't be wise to not be able to vote on matters that they are going to be required to follow. More and more states are putting it in so its gaining traction and will happen eventually. But I hope it holds off as long as possible.

20 hours ago, uknoit2 said:

That and the game digressing even more! I mean the art of shooting 10 and 15 foot jumpers is practically gone and passes that get a teammate open to score is rarely seen....Speed the game up for these kids and put a shot clock in their heads and it gets worse IMO 

I think it will eventually happen. I dont like it but its going to happen. So many new coaches coming into the game who want one along with surrounding states doing it will eventually force TSSAA's hand. To begin with it will only be a cost to install new clocks and controls, the next step is going to be paying a 4th official to run the clock similar to football. some small schools who can barely afford to keep the program going will be hurt bad by this. I dont think a lot of people who arent or have never been involved with High School sports factor this in, they just think those shot clocks and money for a 4th official magically appear.

On 1/8/2020 at 12:58 PM, kwc said:

Valid argument however, that junk that Briarcreat did to Montverde Acadamey isn't basketball either.  That exhibit is the very reason why folks are clomoring for a shot clock in HS basketball. Whereis the happy medium?

I agree! Briarcrest played IMG Academy not Montverde! Briarcrest doesn’t play on the national level, so of course no shot clock for them! Briarcrest coach out coached IMG’s coach in the game! IMG plays on the national level so the top players are getting ready for college level ball in High School! It only helps the kids gain more of a college level feel in high school! Briarcrest coach held the ball & ran his offense to perfection! It was the most exciting, but one of the worst games I have attended! Briarcrest upsets the #2 team in the country! Briarcrest 32 IMG 22 

5 hours ago, old24eagle said:

I think it will eventually happen. I dont like it but its going to happen. So many new coaches coming into the game who want one along with surrounding states doing it will eventually force TSSAA's hand. To begin with it will only be a cost to install new clocks and controls, the next step is going to be paying a 4th official to run the clock similar to football. some small schools who can barely afford to keep the program going will be hurt bad by this. I dont think a lot of people who arent or have never been involved with High School sports factor this in, they just think those shot clocks and money for a 4th official magically appear.

This is one of the biggest reasons I'm against it. I believe too that officials will want more money (they already do as it is) and since this will be something else on court officials have to keep up with, they will have the leverage to get it.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, old24eagle said:

Completely agree with this! From the Coach/Player/Fan standpoint, I wish we could add one. However, looking at this side of it makes me waiver from that opinion. 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:46 AM, warmachine7954 said:

How often does that kind of stuff happen with the 100s of high school basketball games on a weekly basis?

You mean IMG not Montverde. 

Thanks for the correction guys ... IMG.

I don't know I wouldn't think it happens that often. However, that's not the point either. Playing keep away isn't basketball, even if it is within the rules.

It happened first in the NBA. Trickeled down to college. It will make it's way to a high school near you.

The game will continue to grow and evolve. Most folks thought that the 3-point shot was the end of the world when it was first introduced. The players and coaches have adapted adequtely. This will be no different. Sure, there are going to be folks who don't like it ... no change will be accepted 100%, especially by baasketball purist. But, it will eventually arrive and those who don't like it will continue their montra.

The game grows and adapts. To some people, for the worse, and to others, for the better. But one thing you do know ... if the pros are doing it ... it will eventually make its way DOWN. College is already doing it and they have been doing it for a while now. HS is next. Just like girls baketball now resembles the game more with five players on the court playing both offense and defense, like the men do. The shot clock in HS basketball is the next eveloution.

Edited by kwc

I just think at some point you have to draw a line with what filters down from the college game. I am not sure but doesn't AAU play with a shot clock? There is where you can incorporate it for kids who are going to play next level basketball. I mean what would be next video replay? That's where the college game is now and following the trickle down effect that would be next. Or moving the 3 point line back. TSSAA is already running ads on tv and radio they are short officials to work games so who would run this shot clock? I would fear losing more officials when you add now having to keep up with this and finding people in the rural areas to run these clocks. Then schools would have to pay them multiplied by what 100 a night times 14 or so home games  thats an extra 1400 a year your asking schools to pay. Just doesn't seem logical especially if AAU is using them and give next level players a chance to get adapted to the college game. 

The other thing is as long as you just have 3 classes in basketball where some schools are at an athletic disadvantage in games you handcuff those schools by not allowing them to shorten the game against more superior athletic teams with larger enrollments.I don't see anything wrong with it. Kinda like football..I love watching Navy play but for the modern fan they would rather watch Oklahoma or schools like that for entertainment purposes. IMO the entertainment part of this doesn't need to be considered. Honestly how many games are we talking big picture that are changed by one team slowing the game down? If the other team i that superior shouldn't they be able to just take the ball away? The other rules still apply with 5 second count and such. 

Just my thoughts as a fan and old coach. I get where the new generation wants to change with the time. End of my coaching career the 3 point line came in so I get it. I just think calling a 3 in a game behind a painted line is different than adding another clock and creating IMO really bad basketball.