Tennessee....Shot Clock or Not?

RealisticFan45

Just a couple opinions. I agree with both sides of the argument. There is technically "strategy" both ways. Whether guard the stalling team better, or learning how to pay with a shot clock.

Just a couple thoughts I have about if it was implemented to seriously consider. 

1) TSSAA has plenty of money, and if they want membered schools to have a shot clock they need to cut the initial cost check. (WILL NEVER HAPPEN, but they could make it happen.)

2) Go back to two referees, except the third referee would be the shot clock operator. Referees stay together in 3 game cycles. They would rotate two refereeing, 1 working shot clock in 3 game clusters. This would allow no increase in cost to the membered schools, and if #1 was followed, would be the same equipment in every gym. JV games have no shot clock, or could be ran by a volunteer. 

3) 40 second shot clock, no more 10 second violations.

These are just opinions, and I don't think Tennessee will move to shot clock, until they go to 4 classifications first. Or the Division II schools should implement shot clock first, and see how it goes.

Question: what about when a more athletic and obviously better team is in the lead, and they pull it out to run clock late in game... knowing that the other team can't guard them in man-man defense...   I guess that isn't good basketball?  Is that bad coaching? I'm pretty sure that's a strategy that could help the team win.... so why is it looked down upon if someone does the same thing throughout the game?  Isn't that a strategy to help their team win?  

Also, it happens so rarely.. this shouldn't be a discussion...

TO THOSE WHO CONSTANTLY SAY THAT ITS IN THE NBA AND NCAA, GET READY ITS GOING TO HAPPEN IN HIGH SCHOOL SOON:  Not all rules trickle down... There is a defensive 3 second rule in NBA... but that's taught as a good defensive strategy in other levels of basketball.  Also, the lane is wider... should that trickle down as well?  Should we allow this changes to trickle down to Middle School level, or Elementary level... or rec ball?  Could you see an elementary game with a shot clock... little Johnny going 1v1 (or 1v5)  to get a shot off every trip... the team game wouldn't be taught at all... it would be to get the ball into your best players hands every possession, and let him/her try to make a play, most likely from a ball screen. (kinda sounds like the NBA)

There is nothing wrong with the game not having a shot clock.  We don't need to change just for the sake of change... 

in the words of the Great Coach John Wooden as one of his 12 lessons of leadership:

"Seek SIGNIFICANT change."  I'm not sure it enhances the high school level game.