Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Violet
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingGod

Top Ten Weekend at a Glance 1/11

Recommended Posts

1. Cleveland @ Ed Cressel Classic, VA
2. Science Hill @ Fandetti Richardson Brawl w #7 Rossview
3. Bradley Central - Nothing in Track
4. Wilson Central @GP West Invitational w/ #5 Blackman, #6 Arlington, #8 Oakland, #9 Brentwood,
5. Blackman @GP West Invitational w/ #4 Wilson Central, #6 Arlington, #8 Oakland, #9 Brentwood
6. Arlington @GP West Invitational w/ #4 Wilson Central, #5 Blackman, #8 Oakland, #9 Brentwood
7. Rossview @Fandetti Richardson Brawl w/ #2 Science Hill
8. Oakland @GP West Invitational w/ #4 Wilson Central, #5 Blackman, #6 Arlington, #9 Brentwood
9. Brentwood @GP West Invitational w/ #4 Wilson Central, #5 Blackman, #6 Arlington, #8 Oakland
10. Centennial @Walker Valley Duals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jojopanono said:

Baylor vs:

Blair Academy (NJ)

St. Joe’s Regional (NJ)

Belmont Hill (MA)

Delbarton (NJ)

These types of matches will only make Baylor even better than they are now.  Both McCallie and Baylor have made significant upgrades to their schedule this season.  The Tennessee State Tournament will be a step down from the competition they have been wrestling most of the season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows CBG?  Due to scheduling conflicts, maybe this is the year both Baylor and McCallie choose to send their teams to Prep Nationals @ Lehigh University instead of the cow palace.

I would bet the mortgage on knowing their will be considerably more college coaches at Prep Nationals vs Franklin, TN on Feb 21-22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, barbwire said:

Who knows CBG?  Due to scheduling conflicts, maybe this is the year both Baylor and McCallie choose to send their teams to Prep Nationals @ Lehigh University instead of the cow palace.

I would bet the mortgage on knowing their will be considerably more college coaches at Prep Nationals vs Franklin, TN on Feb 21-22.

I  don't believe they can. One of the requirements to being eligible for Prep is placing at state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

National Prep Wrestling Tournament Eligibility Criteria

Criteria For School Eligibility

  • Participating schools must be accredited by an established regional, independent school accreditation organization that is recognized by the appropriate state department of education and the National Association of Independent Schools.

  • Wrestling must be a recognized varsity sport at participating schools and an interscholastic competition schedule must be published by the school for public viewing not later than December 1st.

  • Participating schools may not take part in their state's public school state wrestling championships.  

  • Participating Schools must join the NWCA prior to their first competition and follow the NWCA / Trackwrestling / National Prep OPC weight management guidelines. 

  • Participating schools are required to operate in accordance with the National Federation Rulebook

  • Schools that are virtual or on-line schools must be accredited and affiliated with a participating National Prep Tournament network school. 

  • Schools that rely on public funding to sponsor operations do not qualify.

  • Schools must participate in their qualifying zone tournaments in order to be eligible to participate in the National Prep Tournament.

  • Eligible schools that are not located in a qualifying zone will be assigned to a qualifying zone by the National Prep Board.

  • Schools must be approved by the National Prep Board, for National Prep Tournament eligibility  not later than November 1st of the season in question.  

Eligibility for Individual Wrestlers

  • Must be enrolled as a full-time student at a school approved by the National Prep Board for participation not later than the end of the second week in January.

  • May not have reached one's 19th birthday prior to August 1st of the school year in question. 

  • Eighth grade student athletes who are enrolled full-time, as an eighth grader, at an approved National Prep network school are eligible. 

  • Student-athletes, grades eight - post graduate, who are enrolled as full time students at schools that meet the national prep eligibility criteria are eligible to participate in the National Prep Tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both The Baylor School & The McCallie School may end up at the National Preps instead of participating in the TSSAA State Wrestling Tournament but I seriously doubt that will happen.  Most of the time when something this significant happens "EVERYONE" knows well in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cbg said:

Both The Baylor School & The McCallie School may end up at the National Preps instead of participating in the TSSAA State Wrestling Tournament but I seriously doubt that will happen.  Most of the time when something this significant happens "EVERYONE" knows well in advance.

I agree with this and unless the situation has changed, which it may have, TN teams needed to get approval to enter the National Preps.  That approval had recently adjusted so that state finalists were automatically in and other placers could petition to be let in and might get in based on other spots filled in the tournament, resume, etc.

I think that the relevant clause in that is the one that speaks to needing to participate in qualifying zone tournaments.

Perhaps something has changed as I am not that close to the process anymore and was never that close to begin with.  However, seems to me that thanks to the way the calendar falls this year, all TN private schools would miss the National Preps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghouse said:

I agree with this and unless the situation has changed, which it may have, TN teams needed to get approval to enter the National Preps.  That approval had recently adjusted so that state finalists were automatically in and other placers could petition to be let in and might get in based on other spots filled in the tournament, resume, etc.

I think that the relevant clause in that is the one that speaks to needing to participate in qualifying zone tournaments.

Perhaps something has changed as I am not that close to the process anymore and was never that close to begin with.  However, seems to me that thanks to the way the calendar falls this year, all TN private schools would miss the National Preps.

You are correct that both the National Preps and the TSSAA State Wrestling Tournament are on the same weekend this year.  If Baylor & McCallie are able to attend the National Preps instead of the state tournament it would really open up the field at the state tournament.  You could possibly have about 3 teams competing for the state championship without Baylor & McCallie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cbg said:

You are correct that both the National Preps and the TSSAA State Wrestling Tournament are on the same weekend this year.  If Baylor & McCallie are able to attend the National Preps instead of the state tournament it would really open up the field at the state tournament.  You could possibly have about 3 teams competing for the state championship without Baylor & McCallie.

Put a * beside this years results in the record books if they decided to do so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 12:37 PM, barbwire said:

Who knows CBG?  Due to scheduling conflicts, maybe this is the year both Baylor and McCallie choose to send their teams to Prep Nationals @ Lehigh University instead of the cow palace.

I would bet the mortgage on knowing their will be considerably more college coaches at Prep Nationals vs Franklin, TN on Feb 21-22.

1. Would National Preps let TN kids who didn’t wrestle in the state tournament in?  Yes, in a heartbeat. 

2. Are any of the TN Preps going to skip the TSSAA STATE tournament and go to National Prep instead?   Unfortunately, No. 

3. If I was given the option of skipping the TSSAA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP for National Prep would we? Yes, in a Heartbeat 

4. Are we disappointed that TSSAA screwed the Preps out of National prep this year however unintentional it may have been?
 

 Yes, it is the most asinine and ridiculous thing the TSSAA has ever done. I don’t care if it was accidental or not.  Take your job just a half bit serious TSSAA and consider the fact that you just cost about 25 Tn kids the opportunity to earn scholarships money at one of the top 5 national tournaments that is one of the most recruited tourneys out there. Seriously, how hard is it to look at a darn calendar and take into consideration a tournament the Prep schools have been going to continually for the last 30 years!  Absolutely PATHETIC TSSAA!!
 

Edited by durdon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the first time that National Preps and our State Tournament have been on the same weekend? If so, very well could have been an honest mistake. If not, when was the last time this happened? If the last time they were scheduled on the same weekend was 15-20 yrs ago, then it was most likely an oversight. If this also happened a few yrs ago, then probably not an honest mistake. Just a few thoughts, opinions and questions from someone that doesnt follow DII as close as DI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements



×
×
  • Create New...