Top Ten Weekend at a Glance 1/11

WrestlingGod

On 1/8/2020 at 10:54 AM, jojopanono said:

Baylor vs:

Blair Academy (NJ)

St. Joe’s Regional (NJ)

Belmont Hill (MA)

Delbarton (NJ)

Here is a link to the Blair Prep Duals...will be interesting to see how TN stacks up:

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/22846

I would hope that Baylor and Blair match up in Round #4, although it is not listed. Dendy Vs Chittum at 138lb  is what I would pay to see.....

This is posted on the Baylor Wrestling FB page:

Update schedule for Blair Duals:

The schedule they posted is wrong though

Here is the correct one:

Round 1 = Blair vs. Belmont Hill and Baylor vs. Delbarton

Round 2 = Blair vs. Delbarton and St. Joe vs. Baylor

Round 3 = Blair vs. Baylor and St. Joe vs. Belmont Hill

Round 4 = Baylor vs. Belmont Hill

Edited by TrustMe
Additional updated information...

5 hours ago, durdon said:

1. Would National Preps let TN kids who didn’t wrestle in the state tournament in?  Yes, in a heartbeat. 

2. Are any of the TN Preps going to skip the TSSAA STATE tournament and go to National Prep instead?   Unfortunately, No. 

3. If I was given the option of skipping the TSSAA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP for National Prep would we? Yes, in a Heartbeat 

4. Are we disappointed that TSSAA screwed the Preps out of National prep this year however unintentional it may have been?

Yes, it is the most asinine and ridiculous thing the TSSAA has ever done. I don’t care if it was accidental or not.  Take your job just a half bit serious TSSAA and consider the fact that you just cost about 25 Tn kids the opportunity to earn scholarships money at one of the top 5 national tournaments that is one of the most recruited tourneys out there. Seriously, how hard is it to look at a darn calendar and take into consideration a tournament the Prep schools have been going to continually for the last 30 years!  Absolutely PATHETIC TSSAA!!

You sure about those two statements?  I have no clue on first item but I know we had some kids who didn't get in because they missed the state tournament due to health reasons and would have gotten in otherwise.  I just have no clue what National Preps opinion would have been.  On the 2nd item, I have been around DII a pretty good while and don't think athletes from TSSAA schools have been attending continually for 30 years.  I can pretty distinctly remember the first few years in recent history when TN schools started getting approval to attend within the last 5-10 years.  There may have been some time in distant history when some schools sent guys, but I would be willing to bet you some food at the state tournament that TN hasn't sent kids for 30 continuous years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghouse said:

You sure about those two statements?  I have no clue on first item but I know we had some kids who didn't get in because they missed the state tournament due to health reasons and would have gotten in otherwise.  I just have no clue what National Preps opinion would have been.  On the 2nd item, I have been around DII a pretty good while and don't think athletes from TSSAA schools have been attending continually for 30 years.  I can pretty distinctly remember the first few years in recent history when TN schools started getting approval to attend within the last 5-10 years.  There may have been some time in distant history when some schools sent guys, but I would be willing to bet you some food at the state tournament that TN hasn't sent kids for 30 continuous years.

A little research out of curiosity.....

https://e849b13c-060c-4c0f-833a-5740313a0d5e.filesusr.com/ugd/c67359_992b8ddd9730492b99ecee0d6e936d61.pdf

Looks like Baylor participated as early as 1947. This is a list (above link) of when teams first participated in the National Preps Wrestling Tournament:

1947- Baylor

1958- McCallie

1961- Sewanee

1966- Castle Heights Military

However....looking at the wrestlers that placed over the past 20 years. TN wrestlers have not placed (so making an assumption that there was no participation from TN) in top 8 from 1972-2014. in 1971 Brian Card-McCallie was a Champion and several others in earlier years with the Healy Brothers from Baylor, Weinbergs, etc..... Only in 2015 did TN wrestlers place (in recent history). This is not to say there was NO participation...but you would think at least 1 would have placed. Here is the complete historical list per National Preps:

https://e849b13c-060c-4c0f-833a-5740313a0d5e.filesusr.com/ugd/c67359_1befabcfbfa44dd59363fbd8dabcec1b.pdf

Edited by TrustMe
Additional updated information...

8 hours ago, ghouse said:

Yeah National Prep gives the TN Prep board a certain allotments of kids that are allowed to come. It is up to our board to determine which kids we bring so they set the criteria by which kids get picked for the trip. 

I know TN was competing in Preps back to the 70’s and I thought it was continuously but I’m not certain about that.  

3 hours ago, durdon said:

Yeah National Prep gives the TN Prep board a certain allotments of kids that are allowed to come. It is up to our board to determine which kids we bring so they set the criteria by which kids get picked for the trip. 

I know TN was competing in Preps back to the 70’s and I thought it was continuously but I’m not certain about that.  

They haven't, I know they weren't going in the mid and late 90's and it doesn't look like they did into mid 00's either or we would have had placers like Leen and Simpson.