2020 AAA State Tournament Contenders

901Hoops850

I see tons of chatter on A and AA, but never much statewide chatter on AAA. This years state tournament should be an interesting one. I would say any of the 8 teams that make it there would have a chance to win it. The problem is, the best 8 teams won't make it there, due to regions/sub-state games. Here is what I am seeing this year, please chime in.

• Region 1AAA
    • This is the region i know the least about. Science Hill and Dobyns are always pretty good. Jefferson Co. will be in the hunt. I find it hard to believe that this region sends a team to Murfreesboro.
  • Region 2AAA
    • I think year in and year out, this is the toughest region. Bearden and Oak Ridge are the biggest names here, but Heritage and Maryville will be involved in the end as well. I like Bearden making it back to Murfreesboro. This could be a region that sends two to state, just unsure on who the other team will be.
  • Region 3AAA
    • This one seems to be wide open, but any region title will have to go through Bradley. They have to be the favorites here, but Stone Memorial could have the team to do it. White Co. and Rhea Co. are solid. Cookeville and Cleveland are also hanging around. I think Bradley and Stone could be at state, taking down whoever wins 4AAA.
  • Region 4AAA
    • This region is up for grabs this year, with Riverdale down. I think that Coffee Co., Tullahoma, Blackman, Stewarts Creek, and Riverdale all have a shot to win it. This one will be fun to watch.
  • Region 5AAA
    • I think it'll come down to Beech and Lebanon. Whoever wins this region will likely make it to the state. Loser of the region likely loses to Brentwood in substate.
  • Region 6AAA
    • My guess is Brentwood defeats Page for this region championship. I don't see anyone else making a run this year.
  • Region 7AAA
    • This should be Arlington winning this region. Substates vs either Houston or Whitehaven could be a tough task, but hosting that game makes a difference. Hardin Co. could make a run. I think they'll beat Dyer Co. in their district.
  • Region 8AAA
    • Should be between Whitehaven and Houston. I think both of these teams are good enough to be in the state tournament, but Arlington in a sub-state presents a problem. White Station is coming on, and could have something to say about who wins.

Again, this is just my opinion, as someone who follows and coaches girl's basketball, primarily AAA. I am just curious what you guys think.

Region 1, in my opinion, Science Hill will probably take it.  The other finalist will be between Jefferson County and Dobyns-Bennett.  Jeff County and D-B have already played once at Jeff County with Jeff County winning by 15 or so.  They play again in Kingsport a week from Saturday.  With the region being played in Morristown, I give Jeff County the edge to be runner up.  Science Hill is the best team I have seen personally so far though and should win the region.

Sleepers could be Daniel Boone and David Crockett.  Crockett took Science Hill to double OT at their place before losing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kwea42 said:

I see tons of chatter on A and AA, but never much statewide chatter on AAA. This years state tournament should be an interesting one. I would say any of the 8 teams that make it there would have a chance to win it. The problem is, the best 8 teams won't make it there, due to regions/sub-state games. Here is what I am seeing this year, please chime in.

• Region 1AAA
    • This is the region i know the least about. Science Hill and Dobyns are always pretty good. Jefferson Co. will be in the hunt. I find it hard to believe that this region sends a team to Murfreesboro.
  • Region 2AAA
    • I think year in and year out, this is the toughest region. Bearden and Oak Ridge are the biggest names here, but Heritage and Maryville will be involved in the end as well. I like Bearden making it back to Murfreesboro. This could be a region that sends two to state, just unsure on who the other team will be.
  • Region 3AAA
    • This one seems to be wide open, but any region title will have to go through Bradley. They have to be the favorites here, but Stone Memorial could have the team to do it. White Co. and Rhea Co. are solid. Cookeville and Cleveland are also hanging around. I think Bradley and Stone could be at state, taking down whoever wins 4AAA.
  • Region 4AAA
    • This region is up for grabs this year, with Riverdale down. I think that Coffee Co., Tullahoma, Blackman, Stewarts Creek, and Riverdale all have a shot to win it. This one will be fun to watch.
  • Region 5AAA
    • I think it'll come down to Beech and Lebanon. Whoever wins this region will likely make it to the state. Loser of the region likely loses to Brentwood in substate.
  • Region 6AAA
    • My guess is Brentwood defeats Page for this region championship. I don't see anyone else making a run this year.
  • Region 7AAA
    • This should be Arlington winning this region. Substates vs either Houston or Whitehaven could be a tough task, but hosting that game makes a difference. Hardin Co. could make a run. I think they'll beat Dyer Co. in their district.
  • Region 8AAA
    • Should be between Whitehaven and Houston. I think both of these teams are good enough to be in the state tournament, but Arlington in a sub-state presents a problem. White Station is coming on, and could have something to say about who wins.

Again, this is just my opinion, as someone who follows and coaches girl's basketball, primarily AAA. I am just curious what you guys think.

Good breakdown

5 hours ago, FootballFan51 said:

R3 isn’t really wide open. It will be Bradley (99%) & Stone Memorial (95%). Of course we also have Miss Basketball, so East Hamilton can be a spoiler if Madison Hayes supporting cast steps up (but I don’t see it). 

"Wide open" is relative. It has been 100% Bradley the past few years. Stone has been knocking on the door. There is a good chance that they both make it to Murfreesboro. East Hamilton has been a disappointment the past few years. They have had so many off the court issues. They are about the only local team to push Bradley though.

• 3 weeks later...

Bearden is good but one of their losses is to bradley by like 15. Stone hasnt played a team lile bradley yet that has big postposition players lile muhonen and Barnes who are 6' plus. Blackmon is better than people think. They did give bradley rheir only home lose this year BUT i think bradley wasnt eeaxy to play that game. If gicen a rematch i think bradley eould won in a close one. Substate in refion 3 and 4 barring any upsets (which always happen) should be bradley vs stone in region 3 and stewarts Creek and blackman in region 4. I think both region 3 teams win this time. Stone nearly best riverdale last year to get there. Turns out they cpuldve played bradley fornstate title. Could happen this year too. Again thats all personal opinion and speculation as anybody can beat anynody on any night

On 2/11/2020 at 5:05 PM, kwea42 said:

So how are things looking in AAA across the state as we approach district tournaments? Are district tournaments a waste?

Not a waste as it determines seeding for region tournament. I do think only top 4 regular season finosher should qualify for district tournamemt however with no byes and 4 playing 1 and 3 playing 2 just for seeding purposes for region. Top 64 team in state (top 4 in each of the 16 districts, based on how they finished in district, play a district tourney at the location of whoever won the regular season), then for the region tourney still 64 teams just potentially different seedings. Still have 1st round at whoever finished 1st and 2nd in district tourney (#3 d1 @#2d2, #4 d1@#1d2) etc...BUT then the highest remaining seeds would then host the region semis. If it is both 1 and 2 seeds left #1 hosts #2 etc. Region finals would be hosted by highest remaining seed left in that region. If its 2 #1s then play at a neutral site close to both schools. Like if its bradley and stone both district tourney winners then play at a school location between both schools. If it is 2 teams fromsame region then higher seed shoukd get to host. In a nutshell if a team gets eliminated they should not get to host any games. Finally for substate (sectional) ,sweet 16, have all the region tourney winners host (like they do now) except make it random,instead of region 3 winner always hosting runner up in region 4 etc. Have the draw like they do for state tournament. Completely random opppnent, could be #1r3 hosting #2r7 etc. Or have regions 1-4 winners hosting runner ups in regions 5-8 or even somethong lile winner r1 hosts #2region 4 #1r2 hosting #2region3 etc. For the elite 8 insteas of Murfreesboro have a draw for the 4 locations that will host between remaining teams. Them have final 4 and best id 3 title game st the glass house. Thats just my thoughts though

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for the most part...things have held together for AAA. A few surprises...White County and Coffee County getting hot and Blackman starting to fade. I think Page/Brentwood, Lebanon/Beech, Hardin Co./Dyer Co. are pretty even.

It still seems like there is a good chance that about 14/15 teams have a realistic shot at grabbing the 8 spots in the state tournament. I feel like there are about 6 district champions that will not make it out of the region. 

The Region 2, 3, and 8 tournaments are going to be interesting. I think 4 could be good, but i feel like Region 3 will send 2 teams to state, as will Region 2. There is also a possibility that either Region 5 and 6 could send 2...

This is the best time of year!

6 hours ago, kwea42 said:

Well, for the most part...things have held together for AAA. A few surprises...White County and Coffee County getting hot and Blackman starting to fade. I think Page/Brentwood, Lebanon/Beech, Hardin Co./Dyer Co. are pretty even.

It still seems like there is a good chance that about 14/15 teams have a realistic shot at grabbing the 8 spots in the state tournament. I feel like there are about 6 district champions that will not make it out of the region. 

The Region 2, 3, and 8 tournaments are going to be interesting. I think 4 could be good, but i feel like Region 3 will send 2 teams to state, as will Region 2. There is also a possibility that either Region 5 and 6 could send 2...

This is the best time of year!

HardinCo/Dyer Co are very even. On any given night just depends on who is hitting shots and the turnover numbers. Guard play leans toward DC while with Gill inside Hardin Co has definite advantage. Both squads are going to have trouble at Arlington. I understand Arlington not as big as in past inside but quickness at guard spots is very good and can shoot ok. If DC shoots well and gets the point guard to limit turn overs could be a good game. HC needs inside game to open up some 3s for shooters.