TN Coach's Poll for 20 January

ArtusCimber

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

From: Jeff Price                                                               Results from: 1/20/20

THIS IS THE FIFTH POLL OF THE SEASON 

Now in its 28th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a statewide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 168.

STATE POLL:

RANK

SCHOOL

POWER

RANKING

LAST WEEK

BAYLOR

CLEVELAND

WILSON CENTRAL

CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

MCCALLIE

FATHER RYAN

BRADLEY CENTRAL

SCIENCE HILL

BLACKMAN

ROSSVIEW

MBA

PIGEON FORGE

Others receiving votes:  ARLINGTON, BEECH, OAKLAND

• Upvote 1

Just curious as to why there are 5 teams ranked between McCallie and MBA. I watched them wrestle the other night @ FR and it was a close match. McC had to come from behind and win the last 2 wgt classes (285 and 106) with at least bonus points in one of them in order to secure the victory. Of course they got their 6 from Howard and I believe got a tech at 106. That being said, MBA wrestled McC to a closer match than I expected. Did McCallie not wrestle their entire starting lineup, MBA wrestle the absolute best they could ever hope for, MBA be ranked higher than 11, McCallie not be as high, or are there 5 other teams in TN that could it closer than 37-33 yet still not beat McCallie? I know McCallie gave up a forfeit at 152 or so and bumped everyone else til they got to the upper weights. IMO, if McC wrestled their entire lineup aside from the forfeit, then MBA and McCallie are much closer than our dual meet poll indicates. Just curious as to what others think or know.

8 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

Just curious as to why there are 5 teams ranked between McCallie and MBA. I watched them wrestle the other night @ FR and it was a close match. McC had to come from behind and win the last 2 wgt classes (285 and 106) with at least bonus points in one of them in order to secure the victory. Of course they got their 6 from Howard and I believe got a tech at 106. That being said, MBA wrestled McC to a closer match than I expected. Did McCallie not wrestle their entire starting lineup, MBA wrestle the absolute best they could ever hope for, MBA be ranked higher than 11, McCallie not be as high, or are there 5 other teams in TN that could it closer than 37-33 yet still not beat McCallie? I know McCallie gave up a forfeit at 152 or so and bumped everyone else til they got to the upper weights. IMO, if McC wrestled their entire lineup aside from the forfeit, then MBA and McCallie are much closer than our dual meet poll indicates. Just curious as to what others think or know.

MBA is a much better team than any realizes and McCallie while they are a great individual tourney team, they aren’t a very strong dual team this year. MBA is also a bad match up for McCallie as they are good at the weight McCallie isn’t strong so they were able to bonus at some of those weights. McCallie won 7 weights they are good at and bonus in all 7 and that was the difference. Looper didn’t wrestle so that caused the FF at 52 but even if he does I’m not sure McCallie wins 8 and at most the points might improve 3 if they don’t get that 8th win. Both teams are very evenly matched in a dual match. 

MBA should be ranked much higher than they are. They should be ranked ahead of Bradley and be sitting at 7th.  They lost to FR by 2 and wrestled McCallie very close. With the way that FR and CBHS beat Bradley then MBA should be ranked ahead of them. 

The other anomaly is Christian Brothers. They are a really exceptional dual team but they aren’t a very strong individual tourney team this year.   As a dual team they are solid at every weight and they can move kids around. If this poll was just strictly dual team strength then I would have them tied for 2nd with Cleveland. I’m not sure who wins a CBHS vs Cleveland match right now especially with the injuries Cleveland has. But, since you guys factor in individual tourney team strength in this poll then CBHS should be 4th overall. 

The other question is how does Baylor not have the maximum 168 points?  Who is not voting for them.  This is as bad as idiot who didn’t vote for Jeter.  The only way that Baylor loses to a TN team this year, is if we put together a TN All Star team to dual them.  Even then it would be close as Baylor could still win 6 weights and bonus at most of those. 

Before Baylor boys get all excited about how great they are.  Do the math,  Woodland of Cartersville, Ga would beat you head to head this year, so while you dominate TN this year you couldn’t win head to head against GA’s best. 

Edited by durdon

2 hours ago, durdon said:

MBA is a much better team than any realizes and McCallie while they are a great individual tourney team, they aren’t a very strong dual team this year. MBA is also a bad match up for McCallie as they are good at the weight McCallie isn’t strong so they were able to bonus at some of those weights. McCallie won 7 weights they are good at and bonus in all 7 and that was the difference. Looper didn’t wrestle so that caused the FF at 52 but even if he does I’m not sure McCallie wins 8 and at most the points might improve 3 if they don’t get that 8th win. Both teams are very evenly matched in a dual match. 

MBA should be ranked much higher than they are. They should be ranked ahead of Bradley and be sitting at 7th.  They lost to FR by 2 and wrestled McCallie very close. With the way that FR and CBHS beat Bradley then MBA should be ranked ahead of them. 

The other anomaly is Christian Brothers. They are a really exceptional dual team but they aren’t a very strong individual tourney team this year.   As a dual team they are solid at every weight and they can move kids around. If this poll was just strictly dual team strength then I would have them tied for 2nd with Cleveland. I’m not sure who wins a CBHS vs Cleveland match right now especially with the injuries Cleveland has. But, since you guys factor in individual tourney team strength in this poll then CBHS should be 4th overall. 

The other question is how does Baylor not have the maximum 168 points?  Who is not voting for them.  This is as bad as idiot who didn’t vote for Jeter.  The only way that Baylor loses to a TN team this year, is if we put together a TN All Star team to dual them.  Even then it would be close as Baylor could still win 6 weights and bonus at most of those. 

Before Baylor boys get all excited about how great they are.  Do the math,  Woodland of Cartersville, Ga would beat you head to head this year, so while you dominate TN this year you couldn’t win head to head against GA’s best. 

The reason you would need a TN all star team to compete with them is because they already put together an all star team from more than one state.  How about they just wrestle with the kids from TN?

Ranking public and private in the same poll is silly. 

Durdon, virtually everything you said was spot on as to what I saw on Friday night. McCallie, FR and MBA are much closer than our poll indicates. MBA should be ranked higher than what they are, probably right behind Ryan. This season, McC is a MUCH better individual tournament team than they are a dual team. MBA is a bad matchup for McCallie in a dual and Baylor is by far the best team in the state this year. IMO, very accurate post!

4 hours ago, taketop said:

The reason you would need a TN all star team to compete with them is because they already put together an all star team from more than one state.  How about they just wrestle with the kids from TN?

Ranking public and private in the same poll is silly. 

Easy fix. Take out all the schools you dont like in the team poll and all the kids you don't like in the individual  poll, drop in the ones you do like and presto-chango the perfect ranking system. And definitely none of them rascals from other states. Close those borders.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DaBears1976 said:

They wrestled MBA and FR on the same day. Don't know the outcome.

May have been the first match of the season Wilson Central defeated Father Ryan pretty soundly.  I am not sure if they have wrestled MBA.  Early in the season MBA would not have had their football players due to going deep in the playoffs.